First BowKill and First Exotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First BowKill and First Exotic

It was last December when I first learned about this website. I originally was attracted to this site because I like to watch the filmed hunts you guys made, and read hunting success stories, etc. But after about a month of visiting I decided that I was going to give bowhunting a shot. So about July of this year I went to Cabelas and Purchased a PSE Fire Flite. I started practicing and really started to like shooting my new bow. When Deer Season came around, I took to the Woods to try to get my first bow kill. I was not able to close the deal on a deer during bow season, and when rifle season came along all the deer disappeared. So far this been one of the slowest deer seasons of my life. Determined to get a bow kill, I scheduled a hunt with Hunts Bowhunting Ranch in Avery Texas. When I arrived last Friday I was greeted by Rickey Hunt the owner of the Ranch and given a tour. Mr. Hunt and his family are good people who really love what they do. I told Mr. Hunt that I was going to try to harvest a Corsican Ram for my first bowkill, but that if a Blackbuck game me an opportunity I would try to take make a good shot on him. Saturday, Morning I found myself, in a tripod stand over looking a feeder at 20yds with no animals under me. This is pretty much how my entire season had gone. The wind was blowing in all directions, so I figured it was just bad luck. Then about 8:00 or so the wind died down and the first two rams showed up. I watched them feed thinking that I this was my first sit and I had time to wait to see what showed up. Aas the hunt went on a few more rams started showing up. Their were some nice white dalls, and painted desert sheep in front of me, but I really wanted a Corsican. Then out at about 100 yrds I noticed a big Black Hawaiian and a smaller but still nice Corsican behind him. I waited and waited but it looked like they were not going to head in my direction. Finally after about 20 minutes they started making their way towards me. I felt comfortable making shots at 30yrds at the range, but I had imposed a 20 yard limit on myself because it was my first time shooting my bow at live animal. So, I waited some more and finally he started coming towards me. I waited and he finally presented a broad side shot. So I drew on him, and then I heard something running towards me from behind. I looked down to my right and right beside me at 15 yrds was a really nice blackbuck. Luckly he winded me and didn’t give me any reason to debate on weather I should try to harvest him or the Corsican. So I drew back again on the Corsican and let my arrow fly. Wack, it sounded like I hit a tree. The Corsican and every other aminal at my stand went crazy and got the heck out of there. So I figured I hit him good. Picked up my binoculars and looked out into a field to my east to see the heard had reformed and that one of the Corsicans had my arrow stuck in his back. Great I thought, screwed up my first bow kill. So I crawled down the tripod, nocked another arrow and went after him. I stocked up on the heard to about 40yrds, and noticed that my Ram was dragging behind. I waited and to no surprise he bedded down. Yes, I thought. Then a Texas Dall comes along and gets my Corsican up and moving again down a creek. So, I stock them again. Crawl up to the edge of the creek and see them about 15 yrds away. I draw, aim and put another arrow in the air towards the Corsican. He gets a burst of Energy and Runs off. I keep on following him for a while and then decided just to let him go, hoping that he will bed down and pass. So I walked back to the stand the way the ram had come and find my second arrow covered in blood, but not much. I see blood here and there but not that much. I find where the ram had beaded down originally and a bit of blood and my arrow shaft but not my 100 grain slick trick. So I walk back to the stand and wait on Mr. Hunt. I tell him what happened and we head off looking for the Ram. To make a long story short we find him, dragging behind the herd, and I make an awesome shot that drops him after about two steps. When we started cutting up the ram we found that I did in fact hit the ram three times. The first shot was high and my slick trick was jammed down in a piece of bone right below his spine. The second shot was high and went right through under his spine high. Finally my third shot, was great right through the vitals. Overall it was a great hunt. I don’t know why I made such bad shots this hunt. I guess it was nerves hunting my first animal with a bow, hopefully I can over come this in the future. I really want to thank Mr. Hunt and Hunts Bowhunting for the experience. I will be back there for the rest of my slam or perhaps that blackbuck in the future. Also thanks to everyone on this site for schooling me on archery and bowhunting.

Congrats bro that's a great ram!

Comment

Congrats on a good look'n ram!

Comment

good job! I got my first archery kill this year too, after practicing for eternity!

Now go get you a hog, axis, coon, doe, sika, buck, just go get another one!

Comment

Great looking ram! Congrats on your first kill. Nice pic and a good account of your hunt. Sometimes a shot goes where you didn't intend but you kept at it and didn't give up. Again congrats on your hunt!

Comment

Nice ram. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats......thats a nice one!

Comment

Congrats on your first, that is a good looking ram.

Comment

Nice ram,congrats.

DJ

Comment

Congrats on a nice ram!

Comment

Congrats on the two firsts

Comment

Way to go, that is a great looking ram and a helluva first animal with a bow!

Comment

Excellent! Good story and great ram!

Comment

Originally posted by Longhorn View Post
                            ... Luckly he winded me and didn’t give me any reason to debate on weather I should try to harvest him or the Corsican. ...
                            This is a FIRST for me!
                            In fact, you might be the first bowhunter in history to say that!

Congrats on a great ram!
                            You've got the bow bug for sure now!

Comment

Congrats on a fine ram

Comment

Working...
                              X