Chew/Saltwaterslick Del Rio 2013 Hunt with Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chew/Saltwaterslick Del Rio 2013 Hunt with Video

I've been blessed to be able to go hunting for the last 5 years or so on one of the best ranches in the state. This is due to the generosity of TBH'ers Saltwaterslick and Coup De Grace. This year, SWS (Charlie) and I headed to the ranch for a Friday-Monday hunt.

We started out slow when Charlie lost the engine on his truck outside of San Antonio. We got it worked out but got to the ranch late. Saturday it was ON and soon we we were covered up in bucks. I got to watch a short buck fight and hear bucks growling/wheezing and all that good stuff. I took a shot on a beautiful mature 10 that was quartered away. Shot looked good to me but later showed to likely be a liver shot. Slicktrick went where I was aiming.

We trailed him for a LOOOOONG way, crossing roads, covering a lot of distance. But eventually we lost it. We kept coming back for grid and zig zag searches. Checked water holes. Looked for buzzards. No luck. Never found the arrow or the deer.

Charlie knew I was sick to my stomach but refused to let it ruin my weekend. He threw me back up on the horse and told me to shoot some does for the freezer. The first one was a 10 yard shot. Simmons Landshark put her down quick. Second one was a 20 yard shot. She ducked hard and it spined her. She dropped in her tracks.

We hunted one more time Saturday evening after looking for the buck again. Chased buzzards for awhile but couldn't find anything.

Went home early Monday morning.

Despite the heartache from losing that buck, it was a stellar weekend with good folks.

Only in Texas…

Enjoy the video. Turn up your volume and see if you can hear the three different buck growls:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnjdHpLFZwA"]Del Rio Bowhunting 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for sharing. Sorry about the buck Chew.

Congrats on the does. Great video.
    Last edited by bdphunt; 11-21-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing. Sucks you didn't find him. The way things happen sometimes.

Comment

Congrats on the freezer fillers. Sorry to hear about the non recovery on your buck.

Comment

Great video Bobby. Sucks you couldn't find that nice buck.

Comment

Great video.

Comment

Very nice. Just to clarify it wasn't the new truck that broke down was it?

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                Very nice. Just to clarify it wasn't the new truck that broke down was it?

No sir. That's the reason for the new truck.

Comment

Always enjoy your videos!! Congrats!

Comment

NIce video. Sorry on the loss of the buck

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      No sir. That's the reason for the new truck.
                      That would be a good reason.

Comment

Man, I never searched any harder for a deer in my life! The next weekend, I was there and smelled something "dead"... after the morning hunt, I stomped the brush out looking for that odor... didn't find anything. I'll be looking every trip until I find that deer. If we can find the deer, I can get a cape and Chew can still get him mounted... Dang shame we didn't find the deer. We did a great post shot interview, and all the other stuff to make a really good video for it...

Yea, that fancy fo-do ford (2010 King Ranch F150 Super Crew) dropped a valve in #4 Cyl. Ford wanted $7800 and change to fix it (new engine). Lease company was able to sell it for enough to pay off the lease and they put me in a new '13 Platinum with the EcoBoost... Hope I have better luck with this one.

Comment

Congrats, Chew.

Comment

Sorry about the buck. YOU ARE RIGHT GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Looks like a great time overall by a couple great guys! Sorry you couldn't find the buck Bobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X