Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default Cam lean

How much is too much bottom cam lean? Mathews solo cam, bottom cam (the one you cannot adjust.)

I measured my ATA distance and it was 30" on one side (guide rode side) and 30 3/16" on the other (opposite the guide rod.) The top idler was recently tuned to ensure no lean. the bow shoots great. My real concern is the angle the strings now come off the cam "appears" quite drastic and I wonder about potential for derailment... although I have put hundreds if not a thousand shots like this and am not sure how long it has leaned like this. I'm wondering if it is really just normal.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
red
Ten Point
 
red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Young & Taylor co.
Default

do you have a press? can you take the axle out and roll it to make sure its not bent?
red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

No, I don't.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
do you have a press? can you take the axle out and roll it to make sure its not bent?
I don't see many bent axles.
Look down the string from cam to idler, and it should be a straight line, or leaning slightly towards cable-rod/rollerguide.
If leaning away from cable-rod/rollerguide, most likely a limb change is in order.
If a bushing cam, instead of bearing cam, might install new bushings and fix.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I don't see many bent axles.
Look down the string from cam to idler, and it should be a straight line, or leaning slightly towards cable-rod/rollerguide.
If leaning away from cable-rod/rollerguide, most likely a limb change is in order.
If a bushing cam, instead of bearing cam, might install new bushings and fix.
I'm no bowtech, but I don't think it is a bent axle either. Taking another look, it just looks like what I would call "limb twist". The cam itself is pretty "square" to the slot in the limb.

The limb twists so that the cam leans away from the cable rod at rest like this if looking at the bow when drawing behind it.

top
|
|\
*|<-cable
|/
\
bottom

Where the * is the nocking point.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 10-16-2013 at 09:46 AM..
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

ttt
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I'm no bowtech, but I don't think it is a bent axle either. Taking another look, it just looks like what I would call "limb twist". The cam itself is pretty "square" to the slot in the limb.

The limb twists so that the cam leans away from the cable rod at rest like this if looking at the bow when drawing behind it.

top
|
|\
*|<-cable
|/
\
bottom

Where the * is the nocking point.
Is it a bushing cam, or a bearing cam?
What bow?
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
BBReezen
Pope & Young
 
BBReezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Motley, Cottle and Tyler counties
Default

You shooting a Reezen? Mine does it and the one my buddy had I noticed did it as well. I noticed it either last year or the one before and asked our shop, didn't seem real concerned about it and it hasn't blown up yet . From what it looks like on mine is limb twist like you say. Don't know if it is warped from the offset pull on the cam or what.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

It is a Mission Venture.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
It is a Mission Venture.
I'm not familiar with that bow.
Does it have bearings in the cam, or plastic bushings?
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Not 100% sure, but looks like a bearing assembly inside the cam.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Not 100% sure, but looks like a bearing assembly inside the cam.
Probably is a bearing cam.
You have two possible fixes.
1- swap limbs from top to bottom, straightening twisted limb with harness, and hoping former top limb will carry the cam straight, or
2- If under warranty, get new limbs.


When I was a Mathews dealer, I didn't tolerate cam lean, and warranted several bows that other dealers claimed were fine.
An outside leaning single cam does not allow the bow to tune properly.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
SwampRabbit
Ten Point
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Probably is a bearing cam.
You have two possible fixes.
1- swap limbs from top to bottom, straightening twisted limb with harness, and hoping former top limb will carry the cam straight, or
2- If under warranty, get new limbs.


When I was a Mathews dealer, I didn't tolerate cam lean, and warranted several bows that other dealers claimed were fine.
An outside leaning single cam does not allow the bow to tune properly.
Luckily it is lifetime warranty so replacing the limbs is an option.

I am still curious how often do you see an outside leaning cam? I can see how some might consider it "normal" if it happens often; even thought that doesn't make it "right".

The odd thing is as is, my BH and feild points hit together from 10-30 yards (I haven't tried shooting past 30) and I have not observed any odd arrow flight (using the nocturnals to watch the flight pattern.)
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
rocky
Pope & Young
 
rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Fork
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Luckily it is lifetime warranty so replacing the limbs is an option.

I am still curious how often do you see an outside leaning cam? I can see how some might consider it "normal" if it happens often; even thought that doesn't make it "right".

The odd thing is as is, my BH and feild points hit together from 10-30 yards (I haven't tried shooting past 30) and I have not observed any odd arrow flight (using the nocturnals to watch the flight pattern.)
If you're comfortable with how your bow shoots, don't do anything.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com