Dove lead calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove lead calculator

Here is a little Excel thing I put together showing how much lead is needed to hit a moving target at various distances, when the target is traveling different speeds. The last couple of days' dove hunting got me thinking about it.

On the left is the range to the bird, 20 to 50 yards. Across the top is the bird's flying speed, from 20mph to 50mph. The chart shows how many feet of lead is needed to hit the bird, assuming the pellets have a velocity of 1300 fps.

Of course, keep in mind the fact that the pattern may be 2 or 3 feet wide, of varying density, etc. Just food for thought.
    Attached Files

Nice post. Wife could have utilized this info this weekend.

Comment

Do you have one to help determine their flight speed?

Comment

cool! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
          Here is a little Excel thing I put together showing how much lead is needed to hit a moving target at various distances, when the target is traveling different speeds. The last couple of days' dove hunting got me thinking about it.

On the left is the range to the bird, 20 to 50 yards. Across the top is the bird's flying speed, from 20mph to 50mph. The chart shows how many feet of lead is needed to hit the bird, assuming the pellets have a velocity of 1300 fps.

Of course, keep in mind the fact that the pattern may be 2 or 3 feet wide, of varying density, etc. Just food for thought.
          None of them paused long enough for me to estimate & punch in the variables

Any chance you have an algorithm to tell me when they are going dip, dive & juke as I pull the trigger?
          Last edited by Playa; 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Sweet chart

Comment

Point.... click..... shoot

Comment

Sure, JFisher! When you see the bird coming, just use this real quick:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Exactly.....no need for all that mumbo-jumbo if you just let 'em land
                  Last edited by prkchp; 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Butt, Beak, Boom

Comment

Originally posted by prkchp View Post
                      Exactly.....no need for all that mumbo-jumbo if you just le 'em land
                      Ha!

Comment

Kewl...now if I can just get one to fly by that has a speedometer on it! GJ on the chart tho!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Yep. I have coached enough shooters that I can promise that if you tell 5 people to lead. Target 18" you will get 5 different leads.

Comment

That's great info but I would have need anti-aircraft or missiles to take down my high fliers on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by shinerbock View Post
                              Butt, Beak, Boom
                              X2. I have always followed this method and and long as you are swinging through the bird it has always worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X