Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Graysonhogs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson
Default School me on frog giggin'

Just looking for a "giggin' 101". My experience is limited to my childhood, where we used a 22 the head or caught em on rod and reel with a plastic frog. Figure some of y'all had a lot more experience. I have a 12' flat bottom I can maneuver around ponds in. Thanks
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
10mmWendell
Ten Point

Hunt In: Doss, Coleman, Santo, Encinal

Following
10mmWendell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I never liked gigging with a barbed/clamp type gig. Barbs make a mess and clamps were never reliable for me. 22 short to the head or catch em by hand always worked best. We found that the old head lights work best(the one with the striped band) because that dimmer yellow light seemed to hold them very well.
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Slew
Ten Point

Hunt In: all over

The catchers sucked. I'd catch em by hand the years you couldn't puncture the skin in Louisiana. I always liked wacking em with a boat paddle too and scooping em up in a net!!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Beaumont

My brother (Johnpaul) and I go all the time on property we have or have permission to outside of Beaumont. We grew up doing this with our dad and all his drinking buddies growing up, some of my fondest memories. We grew up grabbing them with our hands, but you will quickly change your mind the first time you grab a frog that has a snake connected to its rear! We have one of those clamps, but they are HORRIBLE. Best gigs we have use our gigs are basically 4 straightened out fish hooks circled around a pole. You can buy them off the internet now fairly cheap. I know people are complaining of them making a mess, but come on, you are frog gigging, its a messy deal in the first place. We use a spotlight connected to a boat battery. We do the best in canals that have moss that comes to the surface that they can sit on and banks that have a couple feet of mud that is not under water with a few feet of can behind them. One spot hold ALOT more frogs than you think. A lot of the canals we run are only a few hundred yards long, but we make a run to the end and back, sit back at the beginning, drink a few beers then go back thru it again about 20 minutes later. We'll do this all night until we are happy with the numbers we have or until johnpaul has had a few too many and falls in the water. Here is a post from a couple of the trips we have had this year.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=384196
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
DKirk
Six Point

I've been wanting to try it and y'all's post on your successful trips have me the bug again. There's a slough that's runs l through my lease I may give it a shot.
DKirk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Kirby86
Eight Point

Hunt In: Have bow, will travel

Janey, from Lonesome Dove, taught me that if you're not careful, the frog legs will jump out of the pan! But back to the actual gigging.

I've tried the gigs that clamp shut, and they can't catch a cold in my experience. I prefer the barbed 4 prong gigs that you can find at most Army Navy shops.
Kirby86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I've always had good luck with rubber worm and a bass rod or a 3 or 4 prong gig. Those clamp things never worked for me.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Graysonhogs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
I've always had good luck with rubber worm and a bass rod or a 3 or 4 prong gig. Those clamp things never worked for me.
How'd you use the worm? I've used the rubber frogs but never a worm
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I've used a 10-12' cane pole, 15-lb mono with a popper or other feathery fly tied on then end. Just dangle it in front of the frog, and cross his eyes when he grabs it.
dustoffer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Eastonoutdoors
Four Point

Hunt In: South east US

Get some cheap arrow and shoot them and pin them to the banks. It is a blast !!!!!!! We had a bullfrog tournament a couple years ago at the local archery shop.
Eastonoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Jven
Eight Point

Haven't been in forever. This has given me the itch again
Jven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Shake
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke County, TX

We always grab them by hand in South Louisiana. It seems to be much more fun and a challenge to catch them this way. Plus it gets pretty interesting when one of your buddies keeps missing them so you have something to tease him about. This is the only way I've ever done it. Most of the frogs we catch are on grass/Lillie pads near canal banks or on the very edge of the canal bank by the water's surface. This makes them pretty easy to pull up to in the boat. I do have some buddies that frog in an area where they have to get out of the boat and try to sneak up to the frogs on mud flats. Because it's more difficult to get close to the frogs the use a fabricated aluminum boiling pot paddle. It's your typical boiling pot paddle with the end bent so that when the shaft is at a 45 degree angle to the ground the flat side of the bottom of the paddle is flush with the ground. This method extends their reach a few feet and helps them strike the frog with the paddle harder and with more consistency. Then they just pick up the frog after striking it.

Also be sure to bring several bright lights (We usually have a spotter use a high powered q-beam and people grabbing with head lights ) because you want to keep light on the frog at all times. If you throw a shadow over the frog or accidentally move the light off of it the frogs will usually gone in a flash.
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Jven
Eight Point

When is premium frog season?
Jven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
justincorbell
Ten Point

Hunt In: china, nome, beaumont, freer, junction and wherever I am lucky enough to be invited

if I were you, i'd listen to ol "gander" and "johnpaul" when they speak up about the proper frog gigging techniques.......them to refined rednecks know what they are doing......
justincorbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I've tried most all forms to catch or kill em. The .22 to the dome works well but they are so nervy they may still jump after they're dead. If your near deep water this is no bueno. The best method was about a two foot long mesh net on the end of a pole. The end of the net has a rope attached that you hold in your left hand. Slowly come over the top and drop the rope. It works!
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
jay07ag
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Gonzales, Jones Counties TX; Morgan County, MO

We grew up grabbing them by hand as well...takes a little practice, but its alot of fun. Find a good shallow slough or lake with lots of vegetation and you will find frogs. Spotlight hooked up to a battery and a trolling motor and youre ready to roll
jay07ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
johnpaul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle

talk to "gander" he catches B&C frogs

johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
AndyRealtree
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Afghanistan, and wherever I'm invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
talk to "gander" he catches B&C frogs

Lol. That's awesome
AndyRealtree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
How'd you use the worm? I've used the rubber frogs but never a worm
I did the same thing. This technique works during the daytime just as well. So be prepared for to use colors for bass. The frog will home in on the vibrations more than they will the colors. We would cast out past the large eyes out in the water and fish it slow topside until we got within a few feet of the target frog. Then we would stop the retrieve and shake the rod tip just enough to make the grub vibrate in the water. The Frogs would home in on the vibrations and swim in for the attack. We used a large 5/0-7/0 wide gap worm hook with a large 5" curly tail grub worm on a spinning rod set up. The spinning rod was easier to cast than a baitcast for what we were doing. It was a heck of a fight with the big ones too!!
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
I did the same thing. This technique works during the daytime just as well. So be prepared for to use colors for bass. The frog will home in on the vibrations more than they will the colors. We would cast out past the large eyes out in the water and fish it slow topside until we got within a few feet of the target frog. Then we would stop the retrieve and shake the rod tip just enough to make the grub vibrate in the water. The Frogs would home in on the vibrations and swim in for the attack. We used a large 5/0-7/0 wide gap worm hook with a large 5" curly tail grub worm on a spinning rod set up. The spinning rod was easier to cast than a baitcast for what we were doing. It was a heck of a fight with the big ones too!!
This! Also if you see them on the bank, just cast past them and off the side and drag it up by them. They'll jump on it and shovel it in their mouth with their front legs and BAM set the hook!
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
stickman
Ten Point

Can you catch/eat frogs year round?
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Froggin time right now. Might want to check the bag limit if you really get into them.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
Boss Buck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jones

See aggie nation post !! Man I'm cracking myself up!!!!!
Boss Buck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #25
johnpaul
Eight Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle

I've done all the ways mentioned above and the best by far is using a good gig. When we go out and catch one hundred frogs we usually only miss a few (depending on how much keystone light is consumed) because they are so easy to catch on the gigs. The worst way is shooting them with a 22. I'm not sure if y'all are shooting them on land or in water but every frog I have shot with a 22 in the water sinks like a rock. That being said, it is very hard to get close enough with a gig unless you are in a boat. I have tried to walk down small ditches and use the gigs but the frogs spook probably 50% of the time it seems like.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
Bayouboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Buy you a pair of those sticky football gloves that receivers wear at Academy and you will never lose one again.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
ground level
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
Can you catch/eat frogs year round?
Yes, most productive time is mid-late February through October. The colder it gets, the less productive frogging will be plus they'll hibernate when the temp drops into the low 40's - cold-blooded amphibians, so they are unable to regulate their body temp.
ground level is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
ground level
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Froggin time right now. Might want to check the bag limit if you really get into them.
No bag limit on frogs except on public hunting lands and they must be listed within the Legal Game Box for that unit. Bag limit then is 25/licensed hunter.

Hunting license is required since frogs are terrestial vertebrates. Fishing license is not required.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #29
ground level
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincorbell View Post
if I were you, i'd listen to ol "gander" and "johnpaul" when they speak up about the proper frog gigging techniques.......them to refined rednecks know what they are doing......
Gander and JohnPaul gave great techniques and information, pretty much as we did when we had good frogging property. Just didn't do any drinking out of respect for the landowners and their restriction.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #30
dbaio1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bienville Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Caught thousands of frogs growing up in Houma, La. We used the claw/clamp type devices due to the "breaking skin" rule was in effect back then. We use take a file or grinder to that device and get it working like a hair trigger and little bite over center to grab better. After some time we got them working good......most major problem we ran into was rookies setting off the hair trigger clamp before a frog was in it lol
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

i love to hunt frogs above any thing else. problem in my part of the world is the drought really did a number on them. they still havent recovered for some reason. i have yet to find a good spot to hunt them. i have a rigged bow fishing boat if anyone wants to team up on some frogs.

i use a bow to take them. old arrows work great. wrap the bottom 12" of the arrow shaft with electrical tape. do it so that the tape overlaps itself forming small "ribs" along the shaft. the tape keeps the arrow from getting pass through and the the ribs and tape itself wont allow the frog to jump off the shaft. use field points, NO BROAD HEADS. i cant count the frogs i have taken and truely miss hunting them like i used to.

im serious about a hunt if any one wants to go.
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #32
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground level View Post
No bag limit on frogs except on public hunting lands and they must be listed within the Legal Game Box for that unit. Bag limit then is 25/licensed hunter.

Hunting license is required since frogs are terrestial vertebrates. Fishing license is not required.
I was told by Austin that this applies to all public waters like the Trinity River.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #33
justincorbell
Ten Point

Hunt In: china, nome, beaumont, freer, junction and wherever I am lucky enough to be invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground level View Post
Gander and JohnPaul gave great techniques and information, pretty much as we did when we had good frogging property. Just didn't do any drinking out of respect for the landowners and their restriction.
LOL they ain't gotta worry about all that, they either ARE the landowners or ARE with the landowners
justincorbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #34
tstrick1993
Four Point

Hunt In: Sam Houston national forest near shepherd

I use a 10 foot wooden pole with a small circle net on it. Put it over them they jump flip the net you got em works great.
tstrick1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
holdem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, County

I always used one of these on an eight foot cane pole. Gig'em behind the head and put them on a metal clip stringer before pulling the spear out.
Attached Images

holdem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
holdem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, County

Slowly, slowly move the spear to within a few inches of the frog's head and give it a quick thrust with your thumb over the end of the shaft.
holdem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #37
LA Dave
Four Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

Use your hands! Growing up in South Louisiana, we frogged in the bayous along hwy 90 southwest of New Orleans, out of a "putt putt" or motorized pirogue. Caught 47 in a row one night, got to grab the head or between the body slime and powerful legs, they can slip away.
LA Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Caught some bigguns on a topwater one time. Hole sack full.

My dad used to gig em all the time around Lake Conroe. They sure seem to have disappeared over the years.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #39
elkoholic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pearl, TX and Wyoming

I learned to use a long fishing or fly rod with a plan hook on the string. Then put a small piece of red cloth on it. Dangle it in front of them, and they will jump and bite it. Then unhook and bash their heads and throw them in the cooler.
elkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #40
ground level
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I was told by Austin that this applies to all public waters like the Trinity River.
Not sure who you may have talked with here in Austin, but that is incorrect, otherwise, it would be listed within the Outdoor Annual on frogs.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulati.../hunt/nongame/

It only applies to the TPWD public hunting lands with the APH permit and are listed in the Legal Game Box for the Units which allows frog to be hunted.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...112a_legal.pdf

Last edited by ground level; 06-28-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Good info ground level. We were planning to film a bowfishing for frogs segment for one of my dvds on the Trinity. I called tpwd and got a lady that said she was ast chief law enforcement? if I remember right. She cautioned heavily about making sure each shooter remained below the limit. I had never heard of such.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #42
JSF
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gods country

Bumpin this back up since ima try some giggin on my days off

Last edited by JSF; 05-10-2014 at 01:05 PM..
JSF is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #43
JSF
Pope & Young

Is there a best time of night to catch frogs or is it right after dark?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #44
JSF
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSF View Post
Bumpin this back up since ima try some giggin on my days off
Bump
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #45
Bonesplitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty,Hardin,Uvalde, Leakey and Rebel's Honky Tonk

Ive been using the same clamp gig for 30 years. Perfect for floating frogs! I use prong gigs when they are on the mud. I run mine on 8' long 1/2" aluminum conduit. Theres an art to gigging a clamp style gig
Bonesplitter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #46
Bonesplitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty,Hardin,Uvalde, Leakey and Rebel's Honky Tonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSF View Post
Is there a best time of night to catch frogs or is it right after dark?
Ive had my best luck after midnight.
Bonesplitter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #47
JSF
Pope & Young

What about temperature wise.....I see temps around lufkin are gonna get down in the 50s some at night next week.......will the frogs still be out that low?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #48
trash2
Four Point

Is private access pretty critical for success around the Beaumont area? Anyone ever wants to go ill buy the booze
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top