Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #51
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
bingo.

what an awesome opportunity you had to teach your kids.

I never understood the "not around my kids" answer.... thats the best time.
I think what people are failing to see here is that IF the OP didn't know what kind of snake it was, how was he going to educate the children? There are many snakes that look like and even pretend to be other snakes. I'm a believer that if you aren't 100% positive what kind of snake it is, you don't go near it. If kids are around, ALWAYS better safe than sorry. In hind sight, yes, should have let it go, but hind sight is always 20/20. Let's not beat the guy up. He is now educated and most likely won't kill one of those if he sees another one. But he only "missed" an opportunity to educated his kids if he already had that education to give.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #52
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

That may be my favorite kind of snake! Had a few as pets growing up.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #53
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Because someone dosnt have the level of knowledge of snakes dosnt make him less of a outdoorsman.

I think it's ridiculous how people get down on people for killing snakes. It's silly. It was a reaction I bet from a guy who wanted to protect his kids. He made a mistake.

Now teach him so he can teach his kiddos. I bet y'all wernt born with your knowledge.
I get that, but I also get those who are a little frustrated when someone posts a picture of one of the most beneficial and harmless snakes around asking for an ID after it's already dead. Not to beat up on the OP, but I have never seen a place full of people who love the outdoors with so many snake ID threads. What did you guys do as kids? I was out creek stompin' and snake hunting.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #54
Rodney Bauer
Four Point

Hunt In: Juno crossing Tx, Granada Ms, anywhere

Worse whipping I ever got was in 6th grade in ag class caught that very same snake and throw it on a group of girls. Man that ag teacher was mad. Yeah don't see them any more guess because people kill them. Only kill five snakes copper head, moc, rattler, coral and banded king snake that looks like coral but I never seen a king snake that looks like coral in the wild.
Rodney Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #55
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Its all good. Rough crowed here on the green screen but still the best forum. Everybody has there opinion and as for me and my kids, they are by far more important than any snake. I will always know what this snake is from here on out and as long as neither of my kids are in harms way than they can come and go as they please. This guy just wondered into there play area a little too close and seemed very curious of everything goin on. Im lucky i saw him before my boy. He would have walked right over to him and tried picking it . I havnt had a snake in our pasture for 4 yrs and this dude is probly why. I will be on the lookout now for every other snake and hope i have plenty more of these rare snakes around.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #56
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMan View Post
I get that, but I also get those who are a little frustrated when someone posts a picture of one of the most beneficial and harmless snakes around asking for an ID after it's already dead. Not to beat up on the OP, but I have never seen a place full of people who love the outdoors with so many snake ID threads. What did you guys do as kids? I was out creek stompin' and snake hunting.
That's awesome and wish everyone grew up like that. I grew up in a different state and had different snakes. I grew up outdoors but my kids are growing up in the city. I take them out as much as I can, but I don't come across snakes very often (thank goodness cause I don't like them ). Therefore my kids can grow up loving the outdoors, but not having the same experiences and outdoor education as you. If you learned your love for the outdoors as an adult, you are less likely to know all the reptiles, bugs and serpents as someone who grew up with it. Doesn't mean you love the outdoors any less, simply means you may be less experienced.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
ted_kennedys_liver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caldwell and Cass Counties

we seem to have gotten off track lets get back on hugging some snakes
ted_kennedys_liver is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #58
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_kennedys_liver View Post
we seem to have gotten off track lets get back on hugging some snakes
Keep your hands on your own snake
Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #59
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

I grew up outdoors and living in the country. Been around many snakes and have even caught copperheads when i was little. My poor parents! This just happened to be one i have never seen before. I love how people judge somebody without ever even knowing the individual. I lived in central and west tx growing up and moved to east tx 4 yrs ago. As a kid i ran around chasing anything that moved in the woods. Good or bad. Its a miracle im still alive today. Its totaly different country out here than what im used too. Eye just kneed a littl moor edumication!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #60
JSF
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gods country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
I grew up outdoors and living in the country. Been around many snakes and have even caught copperheads when i was little. My poor parents! This just happened to be one i have never seen before. I love how people judge somebody without ever even knowing the individual. I lived in central and west tx growing up and moved to east tx 4 yrs ago. As a kid i ran around chasing anything that moved in the woods. Good or bad. Its a miracle im still alive today. Its totaly different country out here than what im used too. Eye just kneed a littl moor edumication!
If youve never been judged by the GS youve never lived!!!
JSF is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #61
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Im on the right track then!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #62
CRM_95
Ten Point

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
Well i learned something new today. I have seen a lot of snakes but never one like this. Guess that shows how rare they are. My apologies guys/gals. Hard to let snakes go with kids that are so curious.
You don't owe anyone an apology. If I had young kids I might have killed him too in my yard.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #63
temple droptine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas/New Mexico

I let a rattle snake live that I caught this week. My sarge wasn't too happy when the bucket fell over in his Tahoe while running code to a fight though!!!! Lol
temple droptine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #64
temple droptine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas/New Mexico

I say that since they are supposed to die not live. I am with ya. If my kids are in danger, and a non venomous snake can be dangerous. It may die, if I can not relocate it.
temple droptine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #65
ecallarman
Ten Point

this is crazy!
ecallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #66
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle and Tyler counties

My late great aunt would argue with all of you. She was 99 years old and had Alzheimer's extremely bad, thought I was my uncle, but she still knew "the only good snake is a dead snake". I'm the same way. I don't go hunt down good snakes but if I stumble across one and it bout gives me a heart attack, sorry buddy. Y'all shouldn't be admitting to the snake hugging...this is a family site
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #67
LaytonConor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin,Throckmorton, Morris Counties

Y'all crack me up
LaytonConor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #68
HoustonR6ryda
Ten Point

Default dont have to check TBH opinions either

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
You don't owe anyone an apology. If I had young kids I might have killed him too in my yard.
co sign.
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #69
Conway
Four Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

We have a pet corn snake and have always been snake friendly except when the venomous variety show up in the yard around the family.

It is a really good idea for all of us to educate ourselves on which snakes are good and which ones are venomous.

With that being said, I still scream like a little girl when I first see one before I found out the variety....LOL

Last week we caught this one in our yard.

That snake the OP posted was fine specimen of a quality king snake.

Laters
Attached Images

Conway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #70
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway View Post
We have a pet corn snake and have always been snake friendly except when the venomous variety show up in the yard around the family.

It is a really good idea for all of us to educate ourselves on which snakes are good and which ones are venomous.

With that being said, I still scream like a little girl when I first see one before I found out the variety....LOL

Last week we caught this one in our yard.

That snake the OP posted was fine specimen of a quality king snake.

Laters

he doesnt look to excited about holding that snake
ecallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #71
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Only mistake you made was posting it on TBH.

I kill chicken snakes all the time. I have chickens and kids who tend to the chickens.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #72
denowt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckuehl View Post
So a question for the people that are "educating" this guy. What if this snake would have slithered on over and bit his kid. Would you all be so quick to just relocate it? I don't agree with killing every snake but sometimes they get cut up.
It would be highly unlikely to get bit by that snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Because someone dosnt have the level of knowledge of snakes dosnt make him less of a outdoorsman.

I think it's ridiculous how people get down on people for killing snakes. It's silly. It was a reaction I bet from a guy who wanted to protect his kids. He made a mistake.

Now teach him so he can teach his kiddos. I bet y'all wernt born with your knowledge.
I, along with most of the others, aren't "down" on this guy for killing the snake.
I am only "down" on people who refuse to learn anything about snakes. The OP seems to want to learn about beneficial snakes. A lot of people on this site do not want to learn and bad-mouth everyone with a different opinion than theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMan View Post
My thoughts also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
That's awesome and wish everyone grew up like that. I grew up in a different state and had different snakes. I grew up outdoors but my kids are growing up in the city. I take them out as much as I can, but I don't come across snakes very often (thank goodness cause I don't like them ). Therefore my kids can grow up loving the outdoors, but not having the same experiences and outdoor education as you. If you learned your love for the outdoors as an adult, you are less likely to know all the reptiles, bugs and serpents as someone who grew up with it. Doesn't mean you love the outdoors any less, simply means you may be less experienced.
You don't have to know ALL of the snakes, simply learn to recognize the 4 that are actually dangerous in Texas. If it's not one of the 4, it's harmless. Take a picture of it and research/ask later if you want to know what it is.
Why kill it, then ask what is was?
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #73
Brown County Man
Six Point

I remember when everyone was kind of nice and the rude people would be the ones getting put down. Guess a lot has changed. I will never try to justify why I kill a snake.
Brown County Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #74
denowt
Ten Point

The rude people are the ones who post on every snake ID thread with the "only good snake is a dead snake" crap.
You're entitled to your opinion. I have no problem with it if you're scared of snakes or whatever reason you use to justify blindly killing every snake you encounter.
The problem I have, is your opinion about snakes was not asked for. The poster is asking to identify a snake that he/she encountered. Your "dead snake" comments do not answer the question and do nothing to increase the value of the thread. It always leads to bickering/arguing back and forth.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #75
Silent Assassin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Our ranch in Caldwell Co. and anywhere I'm invited

How many more days to deer season?

That was a king snake but everybody already said that.

You will see me asking for snake ID cause all I had back at home where I grew up was garter snake! Y'all love me as a Yankee dude!
Silent Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #76
JSF
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
The rude people are the ones who post on every snake ID thread with the "only good snake is a dead snake" crap.
You're entitled to your opinion. I have no problem with it if you're scared of snakes or whatever reason you use to justify blindly killing every snake you encounter.
The problem I have, is your opinion about snakes was not asked for. The poster is asking to identify a snake that he/she encountered. Your "dead snake" comments do not answer the question and do nothing to increase the value of the thread. It always leads to bickering/arguing back and forth.
Yeah bc all the ppl whining "that was a good snake" have nothing to do with it.....did he asked if anyone thought he should learn more about snakes??
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #77
Thundervee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards co. San Jacinto Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Only mistake you made was posting it on TBH..
Yep
Thundervee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #78
justincorbell
Ten Point

Hunt In: china, nome, beaumont, freer, junction and wherever I am lucky enough to be invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf View Post
yeah bc all the ppl whining "that was a good snake" have nothing to do with it.....did he asked if anyone thought he should learn more about snakes??
bingo
justincorbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #79
12RingKing
Ten Point

Hunt In: Markham, Mason

Too many egos on here for sure....machismo. I know more than you stuff. Its crazy. The op was unsure and kids were involved....dead snake. Period. Now he knows he made a big mistake because that snake was actually helping his cause. I'm sure he feels bad enough as it is.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #80
Habanarrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Comfort, 6th Street

It is what it is and it's done now. But hey, now we know!
Habanarrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #81
wheels
Ten Point

Hey! The snake mafia works, I used to kill everyone I see. Scouting the other day on 3000 acres and let a Rat snake walk in fear of developing a rodent problem.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #82
denowt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSF View Post
Yeah bc all the ppl whining "that was a good snake" have nothing to do with it.....did he asked if anyone thought he should learn more about snakes??
Um, yes. By asking what kind of snake it was, he was in fact asking for more information. No one insulted him for killing a snake he knew nothing about. He also seemed to welcome the input about the "good snake's" benefits since he doesn't want rattlesnakes around his place.
Please name one time where someone asked to be insulted because they advised someone not to kill a snake.
If you don't like snakes, fine. But don't comment on a thread where someone is asking for a snake ID.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #83
Draco
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Hey! The snake mafia works, I used to kill everyone I see. Scouting the other day on 3000 acres and let a Rat snake walk in fear of developing a rodent problem.
I'm pretty sure he didn't walk but crawled. I know, I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #84
JSF
Pope & Young

Quote:
Um, yes. By asking what kind of snake it was, he was in fact asking for more information. No one insulted him for killing a snake he knew nothing about. He also seemed to welcome the input about the "good snake's" benefits since he doesn't want rattlesnakes around his place.
Please name one time where someone asked to be insulted because they advised someone not to kill a snake.
If you don't like snakes, fine. But don't comment on a thread where someone is asking for a snake ID.
Please name one time where he asked if he shoulda killed it.....he asked what is it and a bunch of ppl started forcing their opinions on him......and I would let a kingsnake live but I wouldn't care if some guys on the internet approved.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #85
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle and Tyler counties

Quote:
Post #10 & 16 maybe
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #86
texast224
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any public lands I can get to

Not sure what's more ridiculous, some of the comments on this thread or me staying up till midnight reading it.

We killed chicken snakes all the time growing up. We had chickens, an they would eat our eggs. They would eat my pet quail. Chicken snake = dead snake around my place. Plus you can throw em over the fence to bring on a rain. If folks don't like that they are more than welcome to go pound sand.
texast224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #87
Threadgill
Eight Point

Hunt In: Moss Hill, TX/ S. TX as much as I can afford

Was anyone on here bitten by a non-venomous snake over 4ft. when they were a kid? I was, twice. And guess what, it freakin hurts. I don't blame you at all for killing any large snake around your children. All snakes bite, whether they are venomous or not. If you walk up on it in the woods, fine let it go. But in the kid's play area, it needs to be dealt with.
Threadgill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #88
marceco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas & Oklahoma

I grew up Outdoors in The Midwest and know what all the snakes look like . I will tell that I have caught poison snakes that were taken to research facilities but I have also killed a couple of " Good Snakes " because I was not able to quickly identify them in close proximity to my kids . I now have to learn Snake Identification all over again Down Here . The funny thing is , with ALL these Dangerous Snakes - It Is Illegal To Kill Them ! You have to move them to a " Safe Place " or call and pay a " Snake Handler " to do it . . .
marceco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #89
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)

Yep speckled king snake. Had several as pets growing up. Very docile. Fed him mice, but occasionally I'd feed him a snake, didn't matter, he'd eat them all.
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #90
RickyS
Eight Point

Hunt In: Port Lavaca, Port O'Conner, Green Lake, Granger

Quote:
A gator gar isn't going to eat something that might harm me.
gar eat snakes
RickyS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #91
denowt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texast224 View Post
Not sure what's more ridiculous, some of the comments on this thread or me staying up till midnight reading it.

We killed chicken snakes all the time growing up. We had chickens, an they would eat our eggs. They would eat my pet quail. Chicken snake = dead snake around my place. Plus you can throw em over the fence to bring on a rain. If folks don't like that they are more than welcome to go pound sand.
I have no problem with that as I often do the same with any chicken snakes around the chicken house.
If you kill a snake because it is about to cause harm to you or your property(chicken eggs), that is perfectly fine in my book. It's the people that kill a snake just because it is a snake that bother me. Around kids, if you don't know the snake, better safe than sorry. But as many have posted, there are only 4 venomous snakes in Texas and they are all easily identified. Learn those 4 and leave the rest alone if they aren't causing any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadgill View Post
Was anyone on here bitten by a non-venomous snake over 4ft. when they were a kid? I was, twice. And guess what, it freakin hurts. I don't blame you at all for killing any large snake around your children. All snakes bite, whether they are venomous or not. If you walk up on it in the woods, fine let it go. But in the kid's play area, it needs to be dealt with.
Chicken snakes(Texas Rat Snake) and the banded water snake both will readily strike when provoked. This snake was neither one of those. It would be difficult to get this kingsnake to bite you. There are several other snakes that rarely bite regardless of how/if they are handled.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #92
medic151
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paris, Robert Lee

Food for thought. There are actually 4 more mildly venomous snakes in Texas. None of them can hurt you, just the things that they eat.

Dusky Hognose
Texas lyre snake
Texas night snake
and one other I can't recall off the top of my head.

I haven't seen a Speckled King in a long time. Had several as pets and very docile. The corn snake I have at home bites me every time I change the water. I have been bitten by tons of non-venomous snakes of all sizes, even on the face and it doesn't hurt that bad. If I can figure out how to upload a video, I will show yall.

As far as killing them, people are gonna do what they do so I just do what I do and don't worry about it. I trained my kids early to come to me first so we could find out what kind it is, so now they are as bad as me as far as picking them up. Except the venomous ones.
medic151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #93
ckuehl
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Polk and Tyler Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
gar eat snakes
Is this true? I was looking for this last night but did not have any luck. Where is M-2
ckuehl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #94
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic151 View Post
Food for thought. There are actually 4 more mildly venomous snakes in Texas. None of them can hurt you, just the things that they eat.

Dusky Hognose
Texas lyre snake
Texas night snake
and one other I can't recall off the top of my head.......
Northern Cat Eye Snake, lives only in the valley. Raymondville TX down to Central Americia.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #95
rossivey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Before too long we're going to need an "I love snakes" forum
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #96
jay07ag
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Gonzales, Jones Counties TX

Speckled King!!! My favorite snake....Wish he was still alive
jay07ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #97
b.latiolais
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Note to self: "Never post about killing a snake"......

Good call Anlters86. I would have done the same thing.
b.latiolais is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #98
Lungbuster13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county

I ain't even going to offer my opinion on the snake situation, because I don't want to get tongue lashed for loving or hating them...its near abouts getting to be where you can't post any kind of thread around here without creating some sort of confrentational discussion. Grant-it, some of these can get quite comical, but its always fun at someones expense. Whether your criticizing snake lovers or criticizing some one who's an idiot when it comes to snakes, (not calling OP an idiot by any means, because I'm not a reptile guru myself. Just using as an example) its your business, but just keep in mind alot of times you can sure come across the wrong way. I just like the threads more where we gang up on political leaders moreso than other members. Lol...I keep my opinions to myself alot and do more reading than posting, and I'm sure alot of others are the same way, and threads like this are why...just saying.
.and I'm sure someone wont like it, but hey...it is what it is...if nothing else, some of it dang sure keeps me entertained reading at work. Lol
Lungbuster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #99
denowt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossivey View Post
Before too long we're going to need an "I love snakes" forum
A "I hate and kill all snakes because it makes me feel tough" forum might be more appropriate. Snakes are part of the outdoors that all of us claim to enjoy. Killing an animal just because is never a good idea, no matter what animal it is. If there is a rational reason, do be it. Killing a venomous snake near homes/children and killing a egg-stealing rat snake are rational reasons.
Killing all snakes just because it is a snake and it might be dangerous makes as much sense as killing all deer just because it is a deer and it might hit my truck.
With that said, I'll agree that I'm not going to change your mind if you'll agree that your not going to change mine.
I'll just continue to try and educate the people that want to learn more about the animals that they will encounter in the outdoors.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #100
rossivey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

Quote:
A "I hate and kill all snakes because it makes me feel tough" forum might be more appropriate. Snakes are part of the outdoors that all of us claim to enjoy. Killing an animal just because is never a good idea, no matter what animal it is. If there is a rational reason, do be it. Killing a venomous snake near homes/children and killing a egg-stealing rat snake are rational reasons.
Killing all snakes just because it is a snake and it might be dangerous makes as much sense as killing all deer just because it is a deer and it might hit my truck.
With that said, I'll agree that I'm not going to change your mind if you'll agree that your not going to change mine.
I'll just continue to try and educate the people that want to learn more about the animals that they will encounter in the outdoors.
Peoples fear of snakes is no different than someone's fear of spiders or anything else. Just becasue you aren't afraid of them doesn't mean someone else isn't. My wife's scared to death of spiders, all spiders. Ever the teeny tiny ones. She could smash them with her hand but is too terrified to get that close. I could pick one up but that doesn't mean she isn't still afraid. Who is anybody to tell anyone else what they should or should not be afraid of? I don't care what the snake is good for, if it's around me or my children, it's a dead snake. The OP didn't go hunting down that kingsnake. He killed it so his children wouldn't get hurt.
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top