Takedown Canoe/Pirogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Takedown Canoe/Pirogue

Now that I've finished my racing canoe, I'm shifting gears towards designing a takedown canoe/pirogue for hunting and fishing. This will be the perfect vessel for me for something like going to Granger. I can easily throw it in the back of my vehicle since it will have a small footprint, and will be easy to put together.

I'm at the preliminary stage, but I think I've figured out the lines so that all the sections will nest well inside each other. Once I start fine tuning it I'll run more final numbers. Right now it's just shy of 12' long, maximum width is around 32" and about 12" deep. At the 4" waterline it's displacing around 350 pounds. Nested the length will be 50" long, 32" wide, and 16" or less in the height.

Depending on how it's finished out, I'm estimating 35-50 pounds. That will depend on how rugged I want to make it.

Hopefully I can work on this with my son's this summer and we can probably earn them a boat building badge for scouts while we're at it.

Sorry if the pics don't come out very good.

Thoughts or comments on this type of boat?

Should be a great one to follow

Comment

following

Comment

did you buy the plans or draw them up your self?/

Comment

cool project....following

Comment

3D Printing

I am not following plans. I drew the boat up myself. I'm using Rhinoceros as my initial designing software and I also own Prosurf3 which is a marine software which I'll run all the final calculations with. I could actually draw and design the whole thing in Prosurf, but I'm not that good with it yet. I've been using Rhino for over 10 years and can make it do anything I need. I just export the Rhino file to Prosurf.

Here is a teaser pic. I recently bought a 3d printer for our shop and we are learning how to use it and dial it in. Here is what it's currently working on:

More shortly...

Comment

Comment

when you get it dialed in id be glad to buy some plans off of you.

Comment

Finished 3D Print and Float Test

Here is the finished print:

All three components nested together:

A little double stick tape to hold together:

Float test with approximate scaled weight. I'm not sure if it's sitting at the 4" or 5" waterline. It's about where it needs to be either way.

Time to study the overall lines and fit of the design. I might tweak it slightly and then I'll start drawing up all the details/plans.

Comment

All that talk about all the time you've spent working lately????

Hey, you can build it in my garage if you build me one! What material are you thinking?

Comment

I've already found some things I want to tweak. This 3d printer is going to be an awesome design tool for me to use.

Chris...I am still at work so yes I am working a lot. I'm wrapping up a 4 month project on Thursday and then catching a flight that afternoon. We'll catch up when I get back, but I'm not going fancy on the proto build of this boat. I'll use cheap thin plywood, etc. reinforced in the appropriate areas and then seal it really well. I want to keep the proto cost to a minimum. I plan to learn and look for any design changes that might be needed during the build. I'll probably skip any major fiberglassing this go round and just opt for a simple stitch and glue boat with only the seams taped. For a more permanent boat I'd glass everything below the waterline.

Once the build is complete, I'll draw up a full set of plans.

I'll make some changes next week and then do another scale model with more detail in it. More in a little over a week.

Comment

I'm guessing the double stick tape won't be used for final assembly....

Is it going to bolt together?

Comment

I'm liking it.

Comment

Very nice! I'll be watching!

Comment

You no doubt found the plan that is available at duckworks (which is an ugly boat IMO) but I don't know if you ever visit bateau? You might not have seen this guy's build which looks pretty darn close to what you are wanting.

Here is his photo gallery:

Comment

Working...
                              X