Glock/M&P/XD, etc. vs. 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glock/M&P/XD, etc. vs. 1911

I know, I know.... It's like high fence vs. low fence for some people. But let's not get into that. It's clear that polymer pistols are great pistols and 1911s are great pistols. Some people prefer one or the other, and some people like both.

I've never owned a 1911. I've never been a big pistol guy at all, but I've gotten the bug finally I guess. I'm looking for another pistol or two, and I'm open to anything. I will say that I probably won't buy another Glock, because they just don't fit my hand right. But I may buy some other polymer striker-fired pistol, or I might buy a 1911.

Is a quality 1911 made with really tight tolerances reliable if it gets dirty, or do the tight tolerances not perform well dirty? That's probably my biggest question about 1911s.

I'm most interested in hearing from people that have experience with both 1911s and polymer pistols. It's easy to get opinions from the Glock fanboy or the 1911 loyalist about how their gun rocks and the other guns suck. But obviously they're all good and have their own pros and cons, so talk to me objectively. What do you like about polymer pistols, and what do you like about 1911s? What do you dislike about each?

a 600 dollar glock will out-shoot and out perform a 600 dollar 1911. a large portion of the accuracy you get from higher end 1911's comes from the fitment between the barrel and bushing, this really drives accuracy. i have owned a colt series 80 for over 15 years and it is a solid pistol, heavy but solid. i have also owned several poly frame pistols. i have always prefered the feel of steel in my hand. i really like the reduced weight of poly frame pistols but dont care much for the double stack mags that most use. i much prefer the single stack mags that the 1911's use, many folks are suprised at how easy they carry with the thinner grip.

you can always go to a compact model 1911 if the size is really an issue, but make no mistake about it a top end 1911 will eat the face of a glock in most instances in terms of accuracy.

and as far as the durability issue, no other weapon in the history of modern warfare has the length of service as the 1911/91A1 colt. if it was good enough and tough enough for thousands of our vets then its good enough for me.
    Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I own both a polymer (XD45 tactical) and a 1911 (STI Spartan 9mm). Big selling point for me on the XD is mag capacity, the 13 rounds of .45 slugs versus a 1911 holding 7 or 8. The XD was my first pistol and just really seemed to fit in my hand way better than a glock or a S&W. I could also shoot it much better than any other pistol which was another selling point for me. The 5" barrel on the tactical made it a real sweet shooter. Of course the trigger takes some getting used to but that goes without saying with polymer guns. The 1911 on the other hand is a timeless design that shows what a great design it is. It seems to me that each one has its own quirks that take some figuring out but like I said its a great gun. I love my 1911 because it too fits in my hand nicely and handles great plus the trigger is AWESOME! Mine is only a 9mm so the recoil is awesome because of the weight of the gun but I really only plan to use it for the range.

Comment

a glock is like kissing you sister.

a 1911 is like making happy with a super model

Comment

The first pistol I bought was an XD40. I hate the way a glock feels. Im pretty sure I wont own one. I will most likely buy anther XD or 2 in the future sometime. I also have 2 1911's. A full size Rock Island that is my favorite pistol and most accurate (with me shooting it) and a Springfield ultra compact that I carry.

Comment

1911s definitely win the "cool" contest. They're much better looking guns that the others. But they seem more complicated too. I've seen lots of comments that seem to indicate that they are more prone to jam than a striker fired pistol. Not that they jam all the time, but just that they are a little more prone to it. True?

Comment

jam is something you put on toast

most 1911s wont hurt to have a little tuning.

Keep in mind it was designed to run 230gr @ 850 fps w/a certain bullet profile w/a 5" barrel.
              that combo is pretty much "jam" proof.
              a lot of issue happen when you start changing bullet weight, speed and shape. even running a shorter barrel can cause issues.
              Even in the 80s, guys like Bill Wilson & Ed Brown would only guarantee function with the above listed combo.
              1911s are a lot better now days. when gun manfs like Rock River Armory and Ruger can make dependable 1911s, ID say most issues are taken care of

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                jam is something you put on toast
                OK, OK.... fail to feed, fail to eject, fail to fire.....

So they are more finicky with ammo? What about dependability with the right ammo but when the gun hasn't been cleaned in a couple hundred rounds?

Comment

My XD45 shoots great, fits my hand and has has never failed to fire. I too have interest in a 1911 but they are considerably heavier and hold half as many rounds. That said, I will buy one some day, probably nickel with antler stag grip. Can't do that on my ugly XD45.
                  Last edited by Outback; 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I'll join in. I own a Kimber and several striker fired pistols. A nice 1911 is truly a work of art. Some of them can be picky with ammo, and you have to keep them clean. They are my favorite pistols to shoot. And other than the weight, they are easy to carry. But I carry a Glock. I just think they are a simpler machine and I worry less about it. Some people don't like the way a Glock feels, but there are a lot of other people making nice polymer guns as well.

Comment

I carry a 1911 because I feel more comfortable with it.

Comment

I pick up one of my 1911's daily while the Glock sits in the safe. My Springfield, Colt, or Smith and Wesson will shoot circles around my Glock 23.

Comment

This is just a video I found
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE"]1911s SUCK Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Shot a 1911 one time about 3 years ago, and lost that bug. I would like to own one or four just for the nostalgia part of it. I like poly pistols, a lot. Light, hi cap mags, tough, cheap(er), parts easily replaced, concealibility.. I like the XD line, I like the Glock line, I LOVE the M&P line. Just my .02.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X