Stuck a buck at the arrowhead site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck a buck at the arrowhead site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I killed this buck at our excavation site here in Houston co yesterday He was born and raised on DCNF but i shot him on our private property. Here is the story.

Our dig site is about 15 acres and is bordered by land controlled by friends where i could trail a deer if needed. Anyway, Deer have readily adjusted to me being up there digging and in the last couple of weeks, some large horn rubs and huge tracks have shown up. Because of the way we cleared the land and the creek channel, there is a perfect funnel in a big thicket right behind the sifter. Friday, i threw up a popup and a bag of corn right where he was traveling anyway. The setup was perfect. I could get in and out without being seen and there was no way he could wind me on a North wind. I usually put up a camera but just didnt do it this time so i had no idea what he looked like.
    I checked it yesterday morning and all the corn was gone and deer crap everywhere. I recorned it and got out. About 330 I sneaked back in there like a mouse. Sat there till 600 without seeing anything. I knew where he had to come from and was watching.
    My heart jumped at a glimps of motion between the young pines and i got my binos up. I caught him crossing a little opening and knew instantly he was a shooter. I had a lane cleared between two rows of pines and he cam into it about 40yds and turned directly toward me. He walked to the pile of corn at 26yds and thats where he ate for the next 40 minutes without turning once! He was obviously mature and the longer i looked at those long tines the worse i wanted to whack him. He looked like a dang donkey standing there! Now I have set a standard for myself to hunt a 150 plus deer every year and have pulled off 4 in the last 5 years. I knew he wasnt 150 but a mature buck like this taht was born and raised in the DCNF is a trophy to me. Besides...this was just a BONUS spot!

Back to the story, I was about worn out by 6:50 and it was starting to get dark in those pines. He finally turned slightly to the right and curved his body. That was enough waiting. I shot him slightly quartering and thought I saw the arrow disappear into him right in front of the shoulder. He blew out and I gave hiom a little while before sneaking out. I wanted to look but decided to go home and eat supper, besides ,I was gonna need some help dragging!

After supper my brother and BIL Sam went back with me. No blood or arrow! We worked trail the way he went for almost an hour on hands and knees. I was sick. then about 60yds out Sam found the arrow. Penetration up to the fletching and lung bubbles on it. From there it was just pindrops for the next hour and we hadnt moved it but about 75 more yds and we made a loose.. My brother found a spot of blood and i went to him. There was lung blood blown all over some brush and I knew he was down. I shined my light around and caught an eye out in the brush. It wasnt moving or blinking so i eased over ther. SHAZAAAAAM! there he lay. The deer went about 200yds. I smoked both lungs but the quartering to me shot didnt get an exit. I took a moment to thank my helpers and the GOOD LORD for his blessings! Im sure there have been thousands of archers before me that gave thanks for an animal on this very site!
    Attached Files

Both G2s are over 12 inches. He is only 15 2/8 inside but ends up at 137 and change. Not anywhere near my best but at 7.5 yr old in East Tx. Im glad to get him.

Comment

Great buck, congrats!

Comment

Good read
        nice buck
        congrats

Comment

Awesome deer and great story. You're livin' right! Show us pics of your other bigguns.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Congrats, sure is nice when a plan comes together

Comment

Congrates!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
                  Good read
                  nice buck
                  congrats
                  X2

Comment

Great write-up and a heck of a buck. Amazing to think that artifacts you're finding were used for the same thing thousands of years ago!

Comment

I really enjoyed your write up. He might not be a 150", but there is a ton to like about that deer. 2 tines equalling 24" plus is unreal.

Congrats again, and I cant wait to see your next harvest thread.

Rwc

Comment

Beautiful specimen right there. Congrats on a successful hunt. God bless.

Comment

Good read congrats on the buck.

Comment

Very nice 8 point. Congrats.

Comment

Awesome. That place is really paying off for you! Congrats!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X