Hog Wars at the Hilton Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Wars at the Hilton Part II

We had a great group at the Hilton this weekend trying to defend the corn. Ronnie and Trent came over from Hooks and as usual, it is always a great time with the Satterfield boys.

Two of our heroes from Fort Hood, Benben and Hrdwrkncwby came out. Ben and Brad, let me say publicly, thank you guys for your service, the work you have helped me with, and just spending some time with the Hogboy. I am honored to call you my friends.

Deadeye Deb rolled out Friday night to keep the guys in line and enjoy some river bottom hog hunting in the sweltering heat. Thanks for joining us Deb and bring more sausage next time.

The pigs aren't coming to feeders or near the trap since there is 200 acres of fresh ears to attack, so I stuck with the same battle plan from two weeks ago, but adjusted a little since we had more troops. I had Ronnie drop me off and worked my favorite stalk, back down the levee, into the wind, and pushing toward the other hunters, stationed along the fenceline east of the corn. Brad worked up the slough from the south with his shotgun.

About 8PM I heard pigs wallowing in the water on the other side of the levee. The broomweed is so thick you can't get through it without making alot of noise, so no way I could stalk closer. All of the sudden a good sized pig busts out of the weed into the field about 40 yards in front of me, and luckily he turned into the wind and walked straight away. I closed to about 20 yards, could see his back sticking out of the grass, and he was broadside to me. I was already walking at full draw, so I just put my pin on the green where I thought his vitals were and touched it off.

I had two thoughts when he tore out of there. One, the shot looked a little high and two, that sucker sure had a big coin purse. He headed straight into the corn, crashing along and I went in after him. Right away I had good blood, so felt I had put the arrow in a good place. Not to far in I see him and he's down, but as I tried to get closer in the thick corn, he tries getting up. I had another arrow nocked, but really didn't have a shot considering how close he was. I crept a little closer and hit the release only to watch the lighted nock, bury in the ground. I either hit a cornstalk or my 3 yard pin is off. He had dropped back to his knees, so I took a different angle and buried one in his boiler room.

Ben, Trent, and I had only dragged this pig 30 yards through the corn, when we decided that was way to much fun in the heat, so we just looked for the nearest opening to take LDP's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	June22Boar tbh.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	24906404

Saturday morning, using the same tatics and battle plan, Brad was able to put another boar down with the shotgun, right in the same area mine had ended up. I took the opportunity for a group photo with some great guys and some dead pigs.

Name:	June 22 group tbh.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	24906405

Name:	Gary June 22 boar tbh.JPG
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	24906406

Good deal. Dont kill em all.
    Lol. Sounds like a good time.

Comment

Nice, keep slaying em.

Comment

Awesome!Way to go guys!Can't wait to get back out there.

DJ

Comment

Nice Going!

Comment

Looks like a great time!

Good to see you're doing your part on the hog eradication!

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

Awesome Gary good to see them pigs are still getting whacked, sure wish I could have made it up.

Comment

Congrats guys! Sorry i didn't make it out. I needed the rest that i got. Next time.

Comment

Well done, men!
                    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Sounds like a blast. Keep it up!

Comment

Nicely done

Comment

cool

Comment

Another Super Weekend at the HogBoy Hilton. Great Time spent with Great Folks. Deb, Good to see you again. Brad, Ben, Thanks again for the hospitality. Big thanks to Ben for the hunting clothes you give Trent. A Lil Work ......A Lotta Fun... Yea, it was HOT. Its not for everybody...But for us that Love it, it don't get no better.

Gary, Thanks again for the invite. I love coming.

Lotta Good Folks Here..Just another weekend with some of them.

Ben and Trent..Sorry, Trent had his eyes closed.

Name:	ben and trent-june 2012.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	24087715

Comment

Sooooieee!!!! I approve of this message!

Nice going Gary and company! I need to get back out there for some of that action!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X