Restoring a recurve II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring a recurve II

I'm going to do another follow along restore of two recurves. Here is the link to my other post.

Both are Bear bows, one is a Black panther, a "cheaper" production bow mass produced for places like Kmart and Western Auto. This one belongs to a friend and is in good shape. Some light cracking in the finish,no twists nor stress cracks, and it has one spot that has most of the finish scratched off and paint splattered all over it. The other bow is a Bear Grizzly and belongs to me. No stress cracks, straight, some light scratches, button missing. I want this to be new condition so my buddy is going to let me swap his button over to my bow and I'll replace his with a coin that way mine will be period correct. Both will need new strings.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1451.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	24905684

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1465.JPG
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	24905685

Name:	100_1672.JPG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	24905686

Name:	100_1673.JPG
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	24905687

Name:	100_1675.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	24905688

Name:	100_1676.JPG
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	24905689

Name:	100_1677.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	24905690
    I don't think there will be as much work on these two as there was on the other one?

Very cool. Good luck

Comment

Still... Post tons of picks to keep us tuned in

Comment

Will do, it will be later this week before I have very many pics. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Comment

Thought I was going to get out in shop today but, I didn't get other things done fast enough before it got too hot. Will try for tommorow.

Comment

just an update, I haven't been able to do anything on these two bows, I have had three part time jobs come in and need to get them done and out of the shop first. So, its going to be a little while before I do much on these. Sorry, will update when I get something done.

Comment

Well, Had some more part time jobs come in, which is good for me but it means I can't work on the bows!! So, here is what I'm working on right now. This is a book shelf that a lady had someone build several years ago and was going to finish it herself. Guess what.....she never finished it and now hired me to finish it. She just wants it natural with a satin finish. Here it is sanded and ready to start clear coating. Next I'll spray it with polyurethane, sand with 400 grit and repeat about four times. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1684.JPG
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	24094261

Name:	100_1685.JPG
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	24094262

Name:	100_1686.JPG
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24094263
              I know its not a recurve, but I have to get this done and three other jobs before I get back to the bows. Good thing is I have some time to work on these and will hopefully get them done soon.

Comment

Final clear coat on the book case, in the pics. I had just finished spraying the shelves. Book case is finished and here are the last two jobs I have to get finished before I can get to the recurves.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1717.JPG
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24096460

Name:	100_1718.JPG
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	24096461

Name:	100_1696.JPG
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24096462

Name:	100_1698.JPG
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	24096463
                I really am trying to get back to the bows!

Comment

Matt--still enjoying the boat?

Do you use an HVLP sprayer on the bookcase project?

Comment

PLEASE post lots of detailed pics of that black panther rebuild. i have my gradnpa's and it is my MOST valued posession.

VERY interested in the end product.

Comment

Will do froghunter, that one I'll be doing the least on it because the owner really just wants it as a safe shooter rather than a total restore.
                      Dustoffer, yes still enjoying boat when I do go! I'll confess, on smaller projects like these I have gone to using spray cans. Set up and clean up is easier and I have gotten to where I can do just as good with them. I do have a couple of HVLP spay guns that I do still use if I'm doing a really big job. Dad and I tune and repair pianos and I'll get the guns out to do a complete piano.

Comment

not that i can afford to do anything right now, but what is a rough cost gona be on the black panther?

Comment

I have a wing that I need to repair. The tip has become delaminated. Do you know if this can be repaired? By the way, that Bear is awesome.

Comment

Frog, not sure what its going to cost, not much cause he doesn't want much done.

Dannyo, I'd need to see some pics and do a little research. Thanks on the compliment, I'm still trying to get him to sell it to me!

I've been working hard at getting non bow projects finished and out of the shop so I can get back to the bows!

Comment

how is that panther coming along?

Comment

Working...
                              X