Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default 24 volt trolling motor wiring diagram

Fellas,

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 80 lbs thrust, 24 volt trolling motor. Does anyone have a diagram of how I should set up the wiring on the batteries?

Also, what is the difference between a 12/24 volt and a 24 volt. I have been looking through the internet, and cant find what I need. If anyone has a diagram of what it looks like, that would be great. Also, do I need a 3-pronged plug or a 4-pronged plug to plug in my trolling motor to?

Thanks for the help. Hope I dont sound too much like a rookie. LOL!
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Philip-TX
Ten Point
 
Philip-TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

I didn't dig tooo deep but here is a quick google.

http://www.imarksweb.net/book/minn+k...owners+manual/

more
MinnKota Service Manual

Last edited by Philip-TX; 05-10-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Rather_B_Fishin
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Hunt In: Mississippi
Default

Very simple you will need a jumper wire to go on the positive (+) side of one battery to the (-) on the other battery. Then hook up the moto wires red to the open positive side of the one battery and the black wire to the open negative on the open battery.
Rather_B_Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Texasm1976
Ten Point
 
Texasm1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alvin
Hunt In: Freestone Lavaca brazoria county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather_B_Fishin View Post
Very simple you will need a jumper wire to go on the positive (+) side of one battery to the (-) on the other battery. Then hook up the moto wires red to the open positive side of the one battery and the black wire to the open negative on the open battery.
^^^^ this and also get a 3 prong twist lock plug.
Texasm1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
switchbackxt
Six Point
 
switchbackxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Caney, Tx
Hunt In: Smith County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather_B_Fishin View Post
Very simple you will need a jumper wire to go on the positive (+) side of one battery to the (-) on the other battery. Then hook up the moto wires red to the open positive side of the one battery and the black wire to the open negative on the open battery.
do not do this if you have a 12/24v switch on your foot control. If you have the switch on the foot control then you should have four cables to go back to the batteries. If this is the case then just hook black to neg and red/orange to positive.
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

Thanks for the replies. How would I tell if my foot control is a 12/24 volt or just a 24 volt?

Also, does anyone have any diagram, to show me? I am just a visual learner. LOL! Not too smart, so I have to see it on paper. LOL!

Thanks again.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

Also, there is some wires on it that look like they plug into a Sonar or GPS. It has a plug, that looks just like the ones that plug into my Lowrance unit.

Can anyone tell me what this plug is for? Thanks.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Rather_B_Fishin
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Hunt In: Mississippi
Default

On my 36/24 volt 101 minn Kota Fourtrex there was only 2 wires going back to the batterys but I used the old wires that was already there. When I changed battery just had to remove swap jumper wires and the 2 batt wires.
Rather_B_Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

You want to make absolutely sure that your wiring is rated for at least 60amps and install a 60amp breaker between the batteries and the motor.

Some older boats were wired with 12ga for trolling motors. That's only good for about 40amps. That 80lb motor will draw around 56amps at full power and roast 12ga wire!

Use 8ga marine wire and install the breaker. The three prong twist plug by marinco is the way to go for plugs. You only wire two prongs but the third helps it lock securely in place.

Rigging two 12V batteries in series is how you get the 24V. They need to both be deep cycle batteries that are the same age. Don't mix battery types and batteries of different age in series circuits.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
switchbackxt
Six Point
 
switchbackxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Caney, Tx
Hunt In: Smith County
Default

try this forum

http://www.bassboatmagazine.com/stra...1.html?p=93849
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Philip-TX
Ten Point
 
Philip-TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Manuals and diagrams

http://www.fish307.com/minnkotatroll...uals-2003.aspx
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

Thanks again. Keep em coming. Can never have too much knowledge?

Any more info from the green screen brothers.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Don't hook a big motor like that up to inadequate batteries.

The rating you need to worry about the most is the RC (reserve capacity) rating. Those are typically tested at 25amp or 23amp draw. You want that number to be close to or over 200. Ask the seller if it was tested at 25 or 23 amps. The RC is the minutes of run time you get at the rated test amps.

Amp Hours is a Low current test at 1 - 5 amps. It doesn't really help you sizing a battery for a high amp draw trolling motor.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

Ok, so what size battery should I go with, when putting these two together? Also, I have found a diagram, but any others would still be helpful.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

Since a 80# MinnKota can use up to 56 amps, if the distance from batteries to troller is very far 6 guage wire is a better choice. You can get 6 guage marine duplex on Ebay priced reasonably. If you run a troller hard like we do the twistlock troller plugs can't handle it and burn up. The Anderson quick connectors are cheaper and will last 10X as long.
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
Since a 80# MinnKota can use up to 56 amps, if the distance from batteries to troller is very far 6 guage wire is a better choice. You can get 6 guage marine duplex on Ebay priced reasonably. If you run a troller hard like we do the twistlock troller plugs can't handle it and burn up. The Anderson quick connectors are cheaper and will last 10X as long.
Good point. The twistlocks are only rated for 30amps so not a good choice if you run the motor hard.

This is another option for the plug (rated for 100amps).

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B002UCLJG0
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLeo View Post
Good point. The twistlocks are only rated for 30amps so not a good choice if you run the motor hard.

This is another option for the plug (rated for 100amps).

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B002UCLJG0
Those are neat but you can buy the Andersons for $10 on Ebay.
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
Those are neat but you can buy the Andersons for $10 on Ebay.
Post a link please. I will probably buy one just to have a spare.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
smokin feathers
Ten Point
 
smokin feathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shelbyville TX
Hunt In: Shelby san augustine n newton co
Default

obg the boat electric man for sure!!
smokin feathers is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLeo View Post
You want to make absolutely sure that your wiring is rated for at least 60amps and install a 60amp breaker between the batteries and the motor.Some older boats were wired with 12ga for trolling motors. That's only good for about 40amps. That 80lb motor will draw around 56amps at full power and roast 12ga wire!

Use 8ga marine wire and install the breaker. The three prong twist plug by marinco is the way to go for plugs. You only wire two prongs but the third helps it lock securely in place.

Rigging two 12V batteries in series is how you get the 24V. They need to both be deep cycle batteries that are the same age. Don't mix battery types and batteries of different age in series circuits.
Where can I get a 60 amp breaker, and do I have to do any wire cutting and soldering back together.

Also, I got some 8 gauge wire from Lowe's. It is not marine wire. Will it still work for my purposes? Thanks.

I have a deep cycle battery that I bought last year. If I buy another one exactly the same, can I use the two together, being that one is one year older?
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

I use the Maxi Fuse holders from Napa. Crimp/solder a ring terminal on one end for the battery and install a 60 amp fuse. Cheap, simple and water resistant. I use 50 amp Anderson connectors for troller plugs with 10 guage contants for the troller wire and 6 guage for the boat wiring. They are rated for 50 amps but will handle a 80# troller wide open all night without getting warm. Depending on the distance from batteries to troller you may get by with 8 awg but 6 awg is a better choice for a 80# troller.
Attached Images
    
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

oops

Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 05-28-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
Where can I get a 60 amp breaker, and do I have to do any wire cutting and soldering back together.

Also, I got some 8 gauge wire from Lowe's. It is not marine wire. Will it still work for my purposes? Thanks.

I have a deep cycle battery that I bought last year. If I buy another one exactly the same, can I use the two together, being that one is one year older?
West Marine carries the breakers. Any other decent Marine supply store should carry them. Install the breaker near the battery. Attach the negative cable lug on the motor to the breaker. Install an 8ga jumper with a lug on each end from the other side of the breaker to the negative post of the first battery in series. No cutting or soldering involved just buy a long enough jumper wire to go from breaker to battery.

Marine wire is a lot more important in Saltwater than fresh. It's mostly the toughness of the insulation. If it's 8 ga rated it should handle the same current as the marine wire. It just may not hold up as long.

You might be ok (it's definitely not ideal) with using those two batteries together as long as one hasn't been through a whole bunch more charging cycles and is a lot weaker. Take them to a battery store and have them tested to see how closely they match. Tell them you plan to use them in a 24vdc circuit.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLeo View Post
Attach the negative cable lug on the motor to the breaker.
Why do you recomend installing the breaker on the negative side? Serious question-I'm all about learning new tricks for wiring boats.
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
Why do you recomend installing the breaker on the negative side? Serious question-I'm all about learning new tricks for wiring boats.
Here is the wiring diagram from trollingmotors.net

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...ing%20Diagrams

I suspect the reasoning for this is due to the direction of electron flow being opposite of the direction of charge flow. Probably wouldn't make a significant difference. But just in case it does I followed the diagram.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #26
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
I use the Maxi Fuse holders from Napa. Crimp/solder a ring terminal on one end for the battery and install a 60 amp fuse. Cheap, simple and water resistant. I use 50 amp Anderson connectors for troller plugs with 10 guage contants for the troller wire and 6 guage for the boat wiring. They are rated for 50 amps but will handle a 80# troller wide open all night without getting warm. Depending on the distance from batteries to troller you may get by with 8 awg but 6 awg is a better choice for a 80# troller.
Man, I wish I knew more about wiring and electrical stuff. This is kind of confusing to me, but I will figure it out. Where do the Anderson connectors come in to play? Where are they connected on the wire, running from the plug in at the bow of the boat, to the battery?

Sorry for the questions, and sounding like a wiring rookie, but I guess if the shoe fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLeo View Post
West Marine carries the breakers. Any other decent Marine supply store should carry them. Install the breaker near the battery. Attach the negative cable lug on the motor to the breaker. Install an 8ga jumper with a lug on each end from the other side of the breaker to the negative post of the first battery in series. No cutting or soldering involved just buy a long enough jumper wire to go from breaker to battery.Marine wire is a lot more important in Saltwater than fresh. It's mostly the toughness of the insulation. If it's 8 ga rated it should handle the same current as the marine wire. It just may not hold up as long.

You might be ok (it's definitely not ideal) with using those two batteries together as long as one hasn't been through a whole bunch more charging cycles and is a lot weaker. Take them to a battery store and have them tested to see how closely they match. Tell them you plan to use them in a 24vdc circuit.
Again, dont really understand the lingo. What do you mean by "lug"? Also, when I connect the two batteries together, what gauge wire should I use to connect the two batteries together?

Thanks, and keep the advice coming.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLeo View Post
Here is the wiring diagram from trollingmotors.net

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...ing%20Diagrams

I suspect the reasoning for this is due to the direction of electron flow being opposite of the direction of charge flow. Probably wouldn't make a significant difference. But just in case it does I followed the diagram.
Strange that they show the breaker on the negative. Minnkota shows the breaker on the positive in all their diagrams but some of the older MinnKotas came with a breaker installed in the jumper wire. Maybe it doesn't matter since there isn't anything else on those batteries.
http://store.minnkotamotors.com/medi.../2374919ra.pdf
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
Man, I wish I knew more about wiring and electrical stuff. This is kind of confusing to me, but I will figure it out. Where do the Anderson connectors come in to play? Where are they connected on the wire, running from the plug in at the bow of the boat, to the battery?

Sorry for the questions, and sounding like a wiring rookie, but I guess if the shoe fits.



Again, dont really understand the lingo. What do you mean by "lug"? Also, when I connect the two batteries together, what gauge wire should I use to connect the two batteries together?

Thanks, and keep the advice coming.
The Andersons are a cheap heavy duty alternative to the more expensive but prone to failure troller plug in systems on the market. MinnKota has started selling them as HD connectors so we must be on to something.
By lugs I think he means ring terminals.
Most of the factory jumper wires are 10 guage but a tad bigger won't hurt.
I gotta add that I set up trollers/boats for extreme duty/bowfishing so I'm prone to go heavy duty on everything.lol
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnet, Texas
Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can
Default

This is what I have found for circuit breakers. Will this work?

http://www.trollingmotors.net/review.../category/100/

Also, what type of wire would be best to connectthe two batteries to each other? Should I cut some of the 8 gauge wire that I have, and make the connection with said wire, or do I need to buy a jumper specific type of wire?

Ok, so basically, the Anderson is just a plug/receptacle for the trolling motor. I would just plug in the wires from the trolling motor to the Anderson receptacle, just as I would one of these:

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...eceptacle.html


Thanks.

Last edited by HUNTING_COACH; 05-28-2012 at 01:39 PM..
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
Strange that they show the breaker on the negative. Minnkota shows the breaker on the positive in all their diagrams but some of the older MinnKotas came with a breaker installed in the jumper wire. Maybe it doesn't matter since there isn't anything else on those batteries.
http://store.minnkotamotors.com/medi.../2374919ra.pdf
Looks like it doesn't matter.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point
 
Old Bald Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canyon Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
This is what I have found for circuit breakers. Will this work?

http://www.trollingmotors.net/review.../category/100/

Also, what type of wire would be best to connectthe two batteries to each other? Should I cut some of the 8 gauge wire that I have, and make the connection with said wire, or do I need to buy a jumper specific type of wire?

Ok, so basically, the Anderson is just a plug/receptacle for the trolling motor. I would just plug in the wires from the trolling motor to the Anderson receptacle, just as I would one of these:

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...eceptacle.html


Thanks.
That breaker is fine.
That plug is commonly used but fails often. The Anderson contacts are crimped or soldered on.
You can use a piece of the wire you have for a jumper.
Old Bald Guy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
ItsLeo
Ten Point
 
ItsLeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
This is what I have found for circuit breakers. Will this work?

http://www.trollingmotors.net/review.../category/100/

Also, what type of wire would be best to connectthe two batteries to each other? Should I cut some of the 8 gauge wire that I have, and make the connection with said wire, or do I need to buy a jumper specific type of wire?

Ok, so basically, the Anderson is just a plug/receptacle for the trolling motor. I would just plug in the wires from the trolling motor to the Anderson receptacle, just as I would one of these:

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...eceptacle.html


Thanks.
Yes and yes.

By the way OBG is absolutely right. The Marinco is only rated for 30amps. If you are gonna run that 80lb thrust motor at full power for a long time, it will fry the connector by pulling more than 50amps through it. The Anderson SB50 is a heavier duty less expensive choice. The Battery Tender Plug is the Cadillac one. I'll switch my Marinco out, to an SB50 or a BT if I burn it up.
ItsLeo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com