Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Build Rifle, taking caliber suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Build Rifle, taking caliber suggestions!

Okay, I really need yalls help.

My lovely fiancé has decided to give me a custom rifle as a wedding gift. I know, the woman is a saint.

Stiller Action, Shilen barrel, Jewell, the works, stock not sure yet. Thinking thumbhole and one day a custom mesquite stock. Rem action. This will be a Multi generation rifle. Keep this in mind. Also keep in mind I am a .30 cal junkie. I have .30 cal or .223. Pretty much all you need.

So, that being said. Pick a caliber and give supporting reason why this should be a generation legacy rifle. Also keep in mind this needs to be a popular caliber where ammo is abundant and available.

Ideally I see this being a sheep, deer, elk rifle that can handle 6-900 yards easily. I have a .416, .375, .338, .300 win, .308, .270 for my Blaser, .300 win mag Christensen and a couple of custom .308's.

I am literally at a cross roads of I have no clue what to pick. Ideas thus far: 7mm, 300 Rum, .308, .30/06. I would like a round that can go from 150 grains to 220 if possible with plenty of oomph to down a sheep or elk at long range yet I want this to be passed down to my children and their children.

Someone please help, just keep in mind my constraints!

7mm stw, 300 win, 257 weatherby

Comment

.280 Ackley Improved

Comment

7/08

A little lighter than your looking for at 100-180 gr bullets.

Orherwise, It fits your criteria and the brass is readily available. Long range shooters love this round and it's great for pursuing all of the game you listed.

I'm in the process of putting one together.

Or

7mm SAUM
        Last edited by Chad C; 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

30/06. Its the American standard. Ammo will always be abundant, it will be in the grain weight for bullets that you listed, and from your list, you don't have one. I have yet to meet someone who does not own a 30/06....my second pick is the 25/06, but it doesn't meet the requirements you listed. Congrats on your upcoming marriage

Comment

I would go with a 264 win mag

Comment

Since you like the 30s I would go with a 30-378 and a break. Either that or a 300 RUM. Both will be capable of the long ranges and can sling the heavy 30 bullets.

Comment

Im a 7mm junkie...So my pick is 7mm rem mag...

1962-2012..5o years and still going strong.. No better round IMO.. 7MAG IS KING

Comment

Beings that you have as many guns as I do, I would second the 7mm/08. I don't have one of these either but I think it would be a very good all purpose rifle.

Comment

600-900yds is where you throw a kink in things. You are talking magnum calibers, long actions or a "short mag". Ammo readily available as well, not something you already have....

270 WSM
                    300 WSM
                    300 Rum
                    7mm Weatherby
                    300 Weatherby
                    30-378

Comment

257 weatherby but your looking at pills in 80-120grains....
                      270 weatherby will get you up to 150gn pills
                      7mm weatherby will take you to 175 grain pills
                      300 weatherby will take you to 200 grain pills

Any of those four rounds would be great... Heres the comparison page: http://www.weatherby.com/product/amm...ompare=Compare

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                        600-900yds is where you throw a kink in things. You are talking magnum calibers, long actions or a "short mag". Ammo readily available as well, not something you already have....

270 WSM
                        300 WSM
                        300 Rum
                        7mm Weatherby
                        300 Weatherby
                        30-378
                        The 600-900 is a more of a target requirement, this is a hunting rifle and would be more than likely only be shot at animals 500 yards and in. I have a .300 win which can handle 900 fairly easily with souped up pills.

That is why I'm leaning towards the .30-06, bullets in the 125 grain in light magnum for kids, all the way up to 200 grain for big game.

Would .30/06 at 200 grain be enough for a bear? Not grizzly.

Comment

Ultimate long range..........416 Barrett or .338 Lapua

Comment

Step up to 338lm. Drinkvthe cool aid!

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                              Would .30/06 at 200 grain be enough for a bear? Not grizzly.
                              Shouldn't be any issue! Another vote for the 30-06. Classic caliber that can handle anything around, with the bullet options. Big congratulations on your marriage!

Comment

Working...
                              X