Target Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target Foam

Does anyone know where I can find a good size piece of styrofoam(cube) to make a target in the Houston/Conroe area. Do any of you have any ideas for a better material?

Try tractor supply, They get styrofoam when they get a shipment of trailers in. They are about 12" squares but you can glue them together to make a bigger cube.

Comment

go to a roofing supply company. they have 4x8 sheets of ISO in several thickness'. you can cut and glue to make what you want.

Comment

Carbon arrows will melt that foam. It's almost impossible to pull the arrows out. I made a target out of insulation board and had to make it the kids target after one use. Keep an eye on Bass Pro. They have their 18" Redhead targets on sale for $30-35 all the time.

If you are set on making your own, I've seen plans using carpet and cardboard, but you have to build a frame to hold it.

Comment

my carbon arrows are nearly impossible to pull out of the foam block(floating dock type) i use as a backstop for my wore out target block. i would suggest something besides foam!

Comment

Huntmaster, what is ISO and what thicknesses do they come in? Do the roofing companies charge for the ISO?

Comment

Have you though about buying a jug of the liquid they use to make core replacements on 3d targets. It's really not that expensive and all you would have to do is build a mold of whatever shape you wanted your target to be.

Comment

If you want to make a large, cheap target, I'd get a burlap bag and fill it with alternating layers of cardboard and old clothes, rags and plastic bags from the food store. I had the same problem with regular styrofoam. Later I bought a couple of cheapie target cubes on sale at WalMart that have lasted for 3 years now.

Comment

Thanks, all are good ideas. What I ended up doing was buying that stretch plastic wrap they use on pallets, wrapping 4 bales of hay, duct taped them together then wrapped them again. The backstop is fairly waterproof and I have no fear of my arrows getting away.

Comment

i can't keep the fire ants out of my haybales when i bring them home!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasT55 View Post
                      I ended up buying that stretch plastic wrap they use on pallets
                      Stuff a carboard box (any size) with that and it makes an awesome target for field points. Huge pain in the @$$ trying to get broadheads out of them though.

Comment

Wonder if you could build a mold of whatever shape you wanted and just fill it with the spray expanding foam?? Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Comment

We used the spray foam to repair one of our 3D targets. It works but will get shot out over time. We just used it for a 50 yard target and it lasted until a 7 point buck came in a tore him into multiple parts.

Comment

the blue foam from construction works for us. The pink stuff melts. We shoot 250 to 300 fps into the blue stuff.

Comment

Fill a box or burlap bag, or a replacement bag with rags. Just pack them in.

Comment

Working...
                              X