Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Hogdude1234
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default Pigman Rifles???

Any of you that have watched Pigman the Series lately know that they are shooting long range shots at times. I'm pretty sure I heard Brian say those were "his" rifles...figured I'd try to find out if he means that he designed those rifles or what??? Are they available to purchase???

Pretty dang sweet seeing them kill stuff at over 650 yards...that Aoudad hunt was awesome.

Any info???

Gracias!!!!

Skinny
Hogdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
dcw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jacksboro

Always thought it was Howa that made them for him
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio and Public Land

hes been shooting howa axioms for a whilte.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
elliscountyhog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction,Tx (New 2013),Ellis County , Red River county, Dallas County

Howa was a sponser last time i watched the show.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
D C
Pope & Young

I think he has had some custom rifles built over the last couple of years and he has been shooting those and his LMT AR for the last few episodes. The CO prairie dog episode is the one where a guy brought them to him.

Maybe KR will answer your question for you.
D C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
LemmeOut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I think he has had some custom rifles built over the last couple of years and he has been shooting those and his LMT AR for the last few episodes. The CO prairie dog episode is the one where a guy brought them to him.

Maybe KR will answer your question for you.
Check out Twisted Barrel. That is what Pigman said the company was called that is making them. Most of those long range shots have been with wildcat rounds like his 500 Jeffery necked down to a .338 (I believe). Pigman's Facebook said they were at Shot Show this year.
LemmeOut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper TX, Victoria TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMeyer View Post
Check out Twisted Barrel. That is what Pigman said the company was called that is making them. Most of those long range shots have been with wildcat rounds like his 500 Jeffery necked down to a .338 (I believe). Pigman's Facebook said they were at Shot Show this year.
Yeah he has been shooting some nice guns, like others stated I think they are just "his caliber ideas" that have been made and then someone is building the rifle for his caliber to shoot out of, it just boggles my mind how they calibrate everything on his cell phone app and then dial in the scope, I would be scared to calculate something wrong and then wound an animal. Send KR on here a PM and he will respond back to you.

I'm pretty interested in this myself. PIGMAN is my favorite hunting show, haven't missed an episode yet.
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LAVACA Co.

He was sponsored by Howa and appears to have lost that deal. I thought I heard him mention in one of the shows he was a gunsmith by trade and was working for a custom shop.

That seems to happen from time to time with the sponors, they seem to come and go. He also swapped bow lines last year as well.

I don't care what he shoots em with, just keep the killin going.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
LemmeOut
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
He was sponsored by Howa and appears to have lost that deal. I thought I heard him mention in one of the shows he was a gunsmith by trade and was working for a custom shop.

That seems to happen from time to time with the sponors, they seem to come and go. He also swapped bow lines last year as well.

I don't care what he shoots em with, just keep the killin going.
He has had 3 different bow sponsors in the 3 seasons he has been on. Hoyt, Quest and now Bear. Some of his other sponsors seem to be consistent though. That is just the nature of sponsorships I would imagine.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Slew
Ten Point

Hunt In: all over

Quote:
He has had 3 different bow sponsors in the 3 seasons he has been on. Hoyt, Quest and now Bear. Some of his other sponsors seem to be consistent though. That is just the nature of sponsorships I would imagine.
I'm sure you go where the money is...
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
LemmeOut
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I'm sure you go where the money is...
I would, not dogging him for it at all.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

They have them at Academy - Howa Pigman 30-06. Just looked at one today during lunch (Sugarland location). Don't know if they have any other cals.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

I think I heard him say he was an old gunsmith.
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
ABroussard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi

Quote:
Its the. 338 twisted pig. Very little info on it so far but the specs I did see were fantastic. I emailed twisted barrel about it and although they can and will build a rifle in that caliber. Price alone put me out. And of course as of right now its handload only. They told me they are trying to have the brass manufactured at this time.
ABroussard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
black42
Eight Point

Hunt In: with a hawk

Talk about overbore. 338 on 500 jefferies. wonder how many rounds you get on that before you have to get it rechambered due to throat erosion.
black42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper TX, Victoria TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
I think I heard him say he was an old gunsmith.
I think you're right, I know I've heard him say that when he was younger he built guns and its always been a hobby but that it was time consuming. I believe he talked about that on the show where Dap was talking about all the pigs he killed as a youngster and how he would be ask to go to different peoples property to kill pigs and that's how he got the name PigMan.

Last couple of years he was sponsored by Howa, Leupold, and Hornady and he always advertised how that combination was so deadly but now I've noticed its Hornady, Leupold and "my guns". I believe he was also sponsored by Chevrolet previously and now I notice he's in a Dodge (Sweet lookin truck w/Camo Wrap).
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
TX Doc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene

I know last year he used a Howa that they auctioned off at our Ducks Unlimited banquet along with the Hoyt bow he has used that season. I didn't look at it closely, but I believe it was just a plain synthetic stock Howa in 300 win mag with a Leupold scope. We'll see if they do the same thing tomorrow night.
TX Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

Pigman is a gunsmith by trade. He says that in episode 2.

He built that .338 just for long shots. It's pretty sweet
230 gr at 3500 fps.

Last edited by super_dave; 02-03-2012 at 05:18 PM..
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

I held & looked at one that he built last year. He sold it to a friend of his which happened to work on our AC unit and said friend showed it to me. Pretty choice weapon. Pigman decals on the scope (Leupold) and on the stock I think. Sweet barrel on it!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Hogdude1234
Pope & Young

Cool. Thanks for the info, fellas!!!

Skinny
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejashoot View Post
They have them at Academy - Howa Pigman 30-06. Just looked at one today during lunch (Sugarland location). Don't know if they have any other cals.
I saw one in .25-06.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
KR-oldmexico
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas - Freer & Old Mexico
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogdude1234 View Post
Any of you that have watched Pigman the Series lately know that they are shooting long range shots at times. I'm pretty sure I heard Brian say those were "his" rifles...figured I'd try to find out if he means that he designed those rifles or what??? Are they available to purchase???

Pretty dang sweet seeing them kill stuff at over 650 yards...that Aoudad hunt was awesome.

Any info???

Gracias!!!!

Skinny

Hogdude, thanks for the interest and inquiry! Yes Pigman is a fine gunsmith and yes we are now shooting our own rifles. We have teamed up with Twisted Barrel on these guns and have big plans for this project. We have all kinds of wildcat loads but will also offer standard loads so the public doesn't have to re-load. I shoot and have been shooting the .257 STW for years that Pigman built me and now shoot a .338 Ultra mag necked down to .270. One bad ...............! We can fix you up with whatever you want and I promise it will be the tightest grouping accurate gun you've ever shot.

Shoot me PMs on any questions and I'll try and answer them and send anyone in the right direction.

We are finally settled on our sponsors, yes we've done some changing but it takes time to short these things out and find the right fit. We have been long in the past and we finally made it back, Bear Archery is who we are and where we wanted to be the whole time!! Great people and super bows!!! Howa makes great rifles but we are moving in separate directions and had to make a change.
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Hogdude, thanks for the interest and inquiry! Yes Pigman is a fine gunsmith and yes we are now shooting our own rifles. We have teamed up with Twisted Barrel on these guns and have big plans for this project. We have all kinds of wildcat loads but will also offer standard loads so the public doesn't have to re-load. I shoot and have been shooting the .257 STW for years that Pigman built me and now shoot a .338 Ultra mag necked down to .270. One bad ...............! We can fix you up with whatever you want and I promise it will be the tightest grouping accurate gun you've ever shot.

Shoot me PMs on any questions and I'll try and answer them and send anyone in the right direction.

We are finally settled on our sponsors, yes we've done some changing but it takes time to short these things out and find the right fit. We have been long in the past and we finally made it back, Bear Archery is who we are and where we wanted to be the whole time!! Great people and super bows!!! Howa makes great rifles but we are moving in separate directions and had to make a change.
what do yall call that wildcat, and what kinda muzzle velocity is that beast kicking out?
shaft_slinger00 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
Hogdude1234
Pope & Young

Thanks for posting up, Keith!!! I'm certainly gunna try to keep up with what y'all are doing.

Skinny
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #25
centexan
Six Point

Hunt In: Coryell County

Brian has been Gunsmithing for close to 20 years. Howa was a great sponsor for the show but I don't blame him for wanting to shoot and market his own line of rifles. When it come to guns and bows, Brian is a professional. I remember him out shooting me back in high school with a long bow when I was using a compound. He is a chacter no doubt, but he's not "all talk" when he talks bows and guns. He knows his stuff. Paired with Marty from twisted barrels, they will turn out high quality firearms. I have no affiliation what-so-ever with the show but I have known Brian for 30 years. I shoot one of his rifles and it is a choice firearm. He is as full of crap as anyone I know, on and off camera, but not when it comes to his knowledge of guns, ammo, and bows.
centexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
Hogdude1234
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexan View Post
Brian has been Gunsmithing for close to 20 years. Howa was a great sponsor for the show but I don't blame him for wanting to shoot and market his own line of rifles. When it come to guns and bows, Brian is a professional. I remember him out shooting me back in high school with a long bow when I was using a compound. He is a chacter no doubt, but he's not "all talk" when he talks bows and guns. He knows his stuff. Paired with Marty from twisted barrels, they will turn out high quality firearms. I have no affiliation what-so-ever with the show but I have known Brian for 30 years. I shoot one of his rifles and it is a choice firearm. He is as full of crap as anyone I know, on and off camera, but not when it comes to his knowledge of guns, ammo, and bows.
That's what I like about the show...all the guys just seem to be themselves and do their thing!!!

Skinny