Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever i can
Default Dispatching of a deer with a knife

*disclaimer* First and foremost. I'm in no way trying to call anyone out with this thread. I merely have a question on the legality of a situation.

With that out of the way. Here is my question. Ive seen a couple of posts here and on other sites as well as having friends tell me that after they had shot a deer with a bow. That they would then dispatch of said deer with their knife. Now I am not someone who wants to watch and animal suffer. But is this a legal way to kill a deer? I thought I had been told in the past that even if you saw a deer hit by a car and it was still alive. If you killed it with a knife that you could be cited for an unlawful method of dispatching a deer. So what say the law gurus? Is it legal?
WildMatt84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
red
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Taylor co.

I'm assuming your talking as in a spine hit or some other less than perfect hit that would render the deer imoble??
red is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Ol Thumper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Texas

I just Judi Chop them once to the neck and its all over

Im not sure on the legality of my method either?
Ol Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
mchildress
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk

I have done many over the years it is alot safer to dispatch another arrow or bullet. I spined a nice mule deer one year and about bit off more than I could chew with a knife.
mchildress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
I'm assuming your talking as in a spine hit or some other less than perfect hit that would render the deer imoble??
Yes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildMatt84 View Post
I thought I had been told in the past that even if you saw a deer hit by a car and it was still alive. If you killed it with a knife that you could be cited for an unlawful method of dispatching a deer. So what say the law gurus? Is it legal?

I was under the impression this is the case because of it being hit by a car on the side of the road. I don't believe you are allowed to touch a deer on the side of the road without game warden permission.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
CaptJack
Ten Point

Hunt In: public

..and how do I make my knife a spear ??
CaptJack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
joebriles
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

I would hope that a GW would not issue a citation for a hunter that is attempting to stop the animal from suffering. Fine or no fine I would probably use a knife to insure that the animal is not suffering. I could see the GW fine a hunter that might finish a deer with a firearm do to the fact of the possibility that it was killed with a bullet then finished with an arrow after the fact.

Last edited by joebriles; 11-06-2011 at 01:34 PM..
joebriles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
SmTx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells

"I didn't know it wasn't dead officer, I was just starting to field dress."
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper View Post

No niji stars?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:

Just make sure don't Judi Chop and Kung Fu kick at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shake N' Bake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
bulletpusher
Ten Point

There was a record buck caught in a fence couple years back, man walks up and kills him with a knife. That was deemed illegal and the monster deer was confiscated, and it's rack is on display in Rick Perry's office. Illegal because it was the only method used, and knife hunting for deer is not legal.

A deer struck and wounded by a car, can be dispatched (killed) with a knife but too must be left behind or taken by the state, because that too is not a legal method of hunting. Thats why sawing antlers off road kill is illegal.

A deer wounded in the commission of lawful, archery, rifle... hunting can also be dispatched (killed) with a knife, but only because lawful means (bow, rifle) were used to wound the animal in the first place.

Hope that cleared it up.
bulletpusher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpusher View Post
There was a record buck caught in a fence couple years back, man walks up and kills him with a knife. That was deemed illegal and the monster deer was confiscated, and it's rack is on display in Rick Perry's office. Illegal because it was the only method used, and knife hunting for deer is not legal.

A deer struck and wounded by a car, can be dispatched (killed) with a knife but too must be left behind or taken by the state, because that too is not a legal method of hunting. Thats why sawing antlers off road kill is illegal.

A deer wounded in the commission of lawful, archery, rifle... hunting can also be dispatched (killed) with a knife, but only because lawful means (bow, rifle) were used to wound the animal in the first place.

Hope that cleared it up.

Very much so. Thank you
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Adgerc15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth County/Real County

Quote:

Hope that cleared it up.
Are you a TPWD GW or just taking a stab at this (pun intended.....)

ac
Adgerc15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling, Delta, Freestone Counties & The Diamond C!

Quote:

Hope that cleared it up.
Same thing I've always heard.

The knife isn't what's really into question, it's the hunting method itself.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
cheez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet and Wilbarger Counties

A knife is not a legal means to "take" a whitetail deer. Ever.

In the TPWD regs it states the "legal means" to take a deer and a knife is not one of them.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
There was a record buck caught in a fence couple years back, man walks up and kills him with a knife. That was deemed illegal and the monster deer was confiscated, and it's rack is on display in Rick Perry's office.
I believe this was the Camp Bullis non-typical buck? He went well over 200...close to 300 if I remember it correctly?
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:

"an thar goes yer layg"
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
TGW
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado/Tom Green County

Sit tight folks as the answer, in order to be thorough, is a bit long...

We need to clarify a few things first.

2.2 To “hunt” and to “retrieve” are separate and distinct acts.

2.3 For purposes of this TPWD policy, the “hunt” is over at the end of legal hunting hours when the game animal is either wounded or killed. It is practically impossible for a hunter to know in all cases if he/she is retrieving a wounded animal or a dead animal.

2.4 This policy is consistent with the language of TPW Code, Sec. 62.011, which makes it clear that the duty to retrieve is triggered by the killing or wounding of the game animal regardless of the fact that legal hunting time may have expired.

2.5 In order to avoid conflict between failure to retrieve a game animal or game bird and other general hunting statutes (hunting at night, hunting with a light, hunting for hire, and/or tagging a deer), and in order to provide consistent law enforcement statewide and to assist hunters and persons in complying with the retrieval and waste of game statute (TPWD Code, 62.011), Texas game wardens will allow the practice of retrieving legitimately wounded game as outlined by the following Procedures/Guidelines.

3.1 Definitions

3.1.1 Dispatch – means to kill by a humane method.

3.1.2 Wounded deer – means a deer that is showing signs of injury and/or is leaving a blood trail, when shot (legal firearm or lawful archery or crossbow) and wounded by a hunter. (One caveat; A wounded deer is defined in regulation as a deer leaving a trail of blood; however, not all wounded deer leave a blood trail; therefore, a deer that is showing obvious signs of injury from being shot may be considered a wounded deer).

Guys & Gals, this is straight from the General Orders (AKA Policy & Procedures) from the Law Enforcement Division. The policy continues on and addresses trailing wounded deer with dogs with a lot more detail as to who can dispatch the deer, etc.

In essence, to answer the original poster's question; the wounded deer may be "dispatched" with a knife if necessary in my professional opinion. That said, I can assure you from experience that cutting the throat is not the quickest way to humanely kill the deer; you'd be better off piercing a vital organ in some form or fashion.

Hope this clears up some of the questions, but I've been around long enough to realize it'll probably spawn some more questions and "what if's" but I'll address those as they come and time permits.

Thanks,
TGW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top