Big rattlesnake killed my 9yr old Lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big rattlesnake killed my 9yr old Lab

Dad and I were hunting out at the ranch a couple of weeks ago when Scout went after a downed bird and got tagged. We were hunting around a tank that had recently been cleaned up real nice because of the drought. Pretty much bare ground and easy for the dogs to spot as there was little to no grass around.

It was windy and the bird fell dead into a pear / mesquite flat about the size of an average 2 car garage about 150yds away. She ran right to where it fell and noticed she made a little jump like trying to avoid the cacti...she kept looking for the bird and I couldn't believe I had to go help. Anyway, I get about half way there and Narco decides to leave Dad and join Scout for the find. Both dogs are zig -zagging around and neither of them can locate?? I get there and scoot around the clump myself with no luck but 'know' the bird is down. Never was found.

I notice Scout is limping a little and not wanting get into the center and make one last attemp & there I am standing 2ft away from this monster / evil creature. It never rattled.

I really don't care to get into any more details but want to thank Farmdog for riding along to hook up with our biologist who was on another ranch about 30mins away to give her a shot. He was there from beginning to end like any real compadre would do. Also a big gracias out to agvet for his support and efforts are due as well.

I have the snake in the freezer and will pull it out and get a pic with something next to it to give it some scale compared to the marginal cell pic that David (thank you) resized for me. It is about 7 ft long. I don't know what to do with it. I'll do some sort of mount and the desire to chop it up, burn it & pee on the ashes has passed. I went throug a big range of feelings of guilt on this, but really mad at myself for being so irresponsible in not being diligent in wearing snake protection. In reality, both Narco and I should have been hit as well. To say I was shaken up by this is a huge understatement.

I am both greatful and sad for the little time big sister had to show narco the ropes on this bird hunting gig. They were good pals to say the least & taught him the joys of swimming and what fun can be had out in the sticks. I'm ready for another dog as that is how I cope when one passes & really the only thing the 'fixes' me when I lose a hound, but Michelle wants to wait. We will see what comes our way.

RIP Scoutie...
    Attached Files

very sad to hear....your lab might have saved your life. Prayers up for you and your dog.

Comment

i'm so very sorry it sucks to loose a buddy like that.

Comment

man, i'm real sorry for your loss.

Comment

really sorry for your loss....sucks to lose a good friend like that....

Comment

That. Stinks. Big. Time.

So sorry for your loss. I know how it feels.

Comment

Mark told me you lost your dog this way.

Sorry to hear it bro.

Comment

Heartbreaking! I'm so sorry for your loss. What a great dog.

Comment

So sorry about the loss of your dog. There's nothing like the love a dog has for his owner. Prayer sent.

Comment

Sorry for you loss .RIP SCOUTIE!!

Comment

Dang, that is rough. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. RIP

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss, it's crazy how much a dog can mean to a person..

prayers for you and Heavens new hunting buddy.

Comment

Man im sorry

Comment

All dogs goto heaven

Comment

Working...
                              X