Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county
Default DIY water well drilling rig

Me and a buddy decided to try and build a water drilling rig. we just started looking online and watching YouTube videos for all the info we needed. we're not sure if this this will work but we will give it a try. we are doing this on the cheap and are using a lot of scrap metal and whatever else we can find. bought the water swivel, hydraulic motor, valve body , and most of the other misc. parts off eBay.

this is probably going to be a long build and we are in no hurry to get it done.

here is a picture of the motors, valve body and swivel

here we made the base out of I-beam and my buddy is welding the 14' upright. we used 4" channel and 2 3/8" pipe cut to 3" for spacers.

this picture shows the 14' upright welded to the base . we didn't realize how tall 14' was until we stood it up and almost took out the light.

next we started on the sled that will travel up and down the Channel. this will hold our motor and swivel. we're not sure exactly what we are doing and wanted to make sure this thing would be heavy enough to carry the weight of all of our drill stem. so we used 1/2" plate.

here is the sled on the upright with the motor and swivel in place.

on most of the rigs we looked at online never had any support on the swivel. all the weight was on the motor and the swivel just hung there. you can see that we added the bottom plate and added a support bearing. this should carry all the weight of the drill stem.

Here is a video on it and some of the other stuff we still need to do.
http://youtu.be/A1hneioS2ps

sorry couldn't get the video to load so just click on the link
AY

Last edited by yanta61; 09-26-2011 at 10:23 AM..
yanta61 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Liven4TheHunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

looking forward to seeing this work. Very cool project.
Liven4TheHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

awesome project, tuned in for results
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
josephd19
Six Point

Hunt In: El Dorado Tx, and East tx

wow this could get expensive. are there any permits that you have to get to be able to drill?
josephd19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

That is cool. Good luck with your endevor.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
That is cool. Good luck with your endevor.
X2 pretty cool
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
yanta61
Ten Point

thanks.... we are looking into the permits.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
paintman
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: granger mostly

awsome project.ill be following
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
F250DSLPWR
Six Point

By chance do you know how deep you are planning on wanting to drill?
What size drill stem are you planning on using?
For several years I have been wanting to build a similar well drilling rig.
F250DSLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
deercrazy
Ten Point

Hunt In: COMANCHE,WINKLER, PECOS, AND ANYWHERE YOU TAKE ME

I will be watching. My FIL is building one also. Helps him out owning his own machine shop. cant wait to see yours working.
deercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250DSLPWR View Post
By chance do you know how deep you are planning on wanting to drill?
What size drill stem are you planning on using?
For several years I have been wanting to build a similar well drilling rig.
we would like to hit 350' but not sure if we are going to be able to get down that deep. we think our weak link is going to be the water swivel. we're not sure if we are going to get enough water flow to bring the cutting up. we're just going to start drilling and see what happened.

we are still looking for drill stem. we are looking for something from 1 1/2"-2 3/8" the hard part is finding it in 10' section with the heavy drill stem threads. originally we were just going to use regular 1 1/2 sch 40 pipe with npt thread but after more research on the net they said that the npt threads don't hold up and will strip out....
Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercrazy View Post
I will be watching. My FIL is building one also. Helps him out owning his own machine shop. cant wait to see yours working.
is he going to make his water swivel? we might need a biger swivel.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
outlaw38
Associate Sponsor

What do you use for casing, and screen. My well was drilled 5 inch wide to accomodate 4 inch pvc casing. On the bottom of the casing was a sand screen. This is the only way I know how to set up a well. How is yours going to be set up. We are only 60 foot to water though. I have thought about buying a drill for myself.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

These guys make a good swivel. http://www.hydra-jett.com
outlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
NaClH2O_therapy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County, Matagorda County, anywhere I can

very cool
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
ranch hand
Spike

Hunt In: Behind the house

Better than a shovel.
ranch hand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #16
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Awesome thread and I will be following along! I am a toolpusher on a oil rig and any info you guys might need feel free to shoot me a PM. It looks to me like you might want to brace up your swivel a little more. The lightest drill pipe I've ever delt with is 2 7/8" and it weighs 10.4lbs per foot. You need enough weight above the bit to keep it from hydraulicing off bottom while pumping. I'd assume you'll probably be doing well to get 2-5k weight on bit. Keep in mind on the bit you'll have to have big jets or nozzels to keep your pump pressure low enough to keep your pipe on bottom. As far as moving the cuttings you can do that with a water hose if your yield point is high enough in your drilling fluid. A little bentonite will do the trick. Careful not to use too much or you'll stick your pipe in the hole. I would deffinatly use PVC casing. Man this is interesting, wish you guys were closer so I could come over and get involved with you
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw38 View Post
What do you use for casing, and screen. My well was drilled 5 inch wide to accomodate 4 inch pvc casing. On the bottom of the casing was a sand screen. This is the only way I know how to set up a well. How is yours going to be set up. We are only 60 foot to water though. I have thought about buying a drill for myself.

These guys make a good swivel. http://www.hydra-jett.com
we will pretty much do it the same way. either with 4" or 5" pvc pipe with the pvc pipe screen on bottom.

i emailed hydra-jett when we first started looking and they wouldn't sell me one. the one we have will work and is pretty heavy duty compared to some of the ones online. we are going to be able to drill down to 150' with no problem but not sure about 350'.

AY
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Awesome thread and I will be following along! I am a toolpusher on a oil rig and any info you guys might need feel free to shoot me a PM. It looks to me like you might want to brace up your swivel a little more. The lightest drill pipe I've ever delt with is 2 7/8" and it weighs 10.4lbs per foot. You need enough weight above the bit to keep it from hydraulicing off bottom while pumping. I'd assume you'll probably be doing well to get 2-5k weight on bit. Keep in mind on the bit you'll have to have big jets or nozzels to keep your pump pressure low enough to keep your pipe on bottom. As far as moving the cuttings you can do that with a water hose if your yield point is high enough in your drilling fluid. A little bentonite will do the trick. Careful not to use too much or you'll stick your pipe in the hole. I would deffinatly use PVC casing. Man this is interesting, wish you guys were closer so I could come over and get involved with you
thanks. this is some good info. most of the homemade rigs you see online just use regular 1"-1 1/4" sch 40 pipe with regular npt threads. those rigs aren't rated for much deeper than 100'. i can find 2 3/8" stem but everything is in 30' joints. our joints need to be 10'. we are probably just going to use a 1 1/2"-2" pipe with regular npt threads and see what happens. it would be awesome to find some used mayhew junior drill pipe.

AY
Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
ramrod
Four Point

can you just cut the drillstem down to 10 foot and re-weld the threads on?
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
yep thats what we were thinking about doing. the hard part would be to get it welded on straight. it would be great to find someone that had some 2 3/8" pipe that had no need for the threads and would let me cut them off.
AY
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
mikem
Six Point

Hunt In: East Tx/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanta61 View Post
thanks. this is some good info. most of the homemade rigs you see online just use regular 1"-1 1/4" sch 40 pipe with regular npt threads. those rigs aren't rated for much deeper than 100'. i can find 2 3/8" stem but everything is in 30' joints. our joints need to be 10'. we are probably just going to use a 1 1/2"-2" pipe with regular npt threads and see what happens. it would be awesome to find some used mayhew junior drill pipe.

AY
We make watewell drilling equipment. I have alot of May Jr 10' drill stem, but it is all new. I can look around the yard and see if we have any pipe that is used and still worth using. mikemannen@earthlink.net
mikem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #22
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
We make watewell drilling equipment. I have alot of May Jr 10' drill stem, but it is all new. I can look around the yard and see if we have any pipe that is used and still worth using. mikemannen@earthlink.net
Thanks...just shot you an email

AY
Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
steerwrestler
Nubbin' Buck

that should work really well dang good job
steerwrestler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
ckuehl
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Polk and Tyler Counties

Cool thread. Thanks for posting.
ckuehl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
Don't do this.... There is a coating on the inside of the pipe that isn't worth a tinker's dam to weld. The integrity of the pipe will be compromised. The original tool joint is bonded not welded. The weld will not hold up to the abrasive cuttings moving up the well bore. All the pipe we use is 30' +/- so I can't help you get any. What will you be using for mud pumps, and what do you have planned for a mixing pit?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
dragonsdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: llano

Quote:
Don't do this.... There is a coating on the inside of the pipe that isn't worth a tinker's dam to weld. The integrity of the pipe will be compromised. The original tool joint is bonded not welded. The weld will not hold up to the abrasive cuttings moving up the well bore. All the pipe we use is 30' +/- so I can't help you get any. What will you be using for mud pumps, and what do you have planned for a mixing pit?
why not cut each 30 ft piece in thirds and cut new threads?
dragonsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #27
jooger17
Pope & Young

The threads or tool joints aren't the same wall thickness. They aren't even the same piece of pipe. The the tool joints are bonded onto the pipe by a process that spins the 2 pieces of pipe at an extremely high rate of speed in opposite directions and then pushed together so they bond. Then the threads are cut into the thicker piece of pipe. If you were to cut the tool joints off an weld them back on the pressure alone would most likely be enough to sheer the pipe not to mention the torque. Bare in mind of the pipe breaks or twist off down hole, you not only lost your bit and pipe but you've lost the well too unless you have an Over Shot and enough pulling power to retrieve your pipe. If you twist off all your cuttings in the annulas or wellbore will fall back in around your pipe an bit and it will get stuck.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
outlaw38
Associate Sponsor

Where do you get pvc sand screens at ?
outlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #29
Blast-n-cast
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad County, New Mexico, and anywhere else I can get a tag

Cool build. I will be following along to see this thing come to life. We blew our well out a couple of years ago but I think the casing is rusting out and allowing sand to seep back in. If you need a place to test your equipment when its done we are right down the road from you off of McGuill
Blast-n-cast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #30
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
i think if they can use 1 1/4" sch 40 pipe with regular npt threads to drill down to 125+'. we would be ok to cut the 30' pc to 10' and re-weld on one end but only time will tell. we are probably going to start off with a 2" trash/water pump and see what that does. as for the mixing pit we will either dig a pit or find some type of tank to use.
AY
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #31
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw38 View Post
Where do you get pvc sand screens at ?
your thinking to far ahead..... my buddy used to work at a pluming/pvc place in Seguin we will probably get it from them or have them order it for us.

AY
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #32
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast-n-cast View Post
Cool build. I will be following along to see this thing come to life. We blew our well out a couple of years ago but I think the casing is rusting out and allowing sand to seep back in. If you need a place to test your equipment when its done we are right down the road from you off of McGuill
if your casing is somewhat still there and the well just filled in over time you could get the well jetted and that might fix it. i think you could jet it yourself if you has access to a big diesel air compressor and enough hose to get to the bottom of the well.
AY
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
i think if they can use 1 1/4" sch 40 pipe with regular npt threads to drill down to 125+'. we would be ok to cut the 30' pc to 10' and re-weld on one end but only time will tell. we are probably going to start off with a 2" trash/water pump and see what that does. as for the mixing pit we will either dig a pit or find some type of tank to use.
AY
For a cheap mixing tank you can get a few cattle tanks weld equalizer lines and a 2" pump with a coupling for a suction on the bottom and a discharge on top. Mix near the suction and it'll work like a hopper. As long as it's circulating constantly settling shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #34
Blast-n-cast
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad County, New Mexico, and anywhere else I can get a tag

Quote:
if your casing is somewhat still there and the well just filled in over time you could get the well jetted and that might fix it. i think you could jet it yourself if you has access to a big diesel air compressor and enough hose to get to the bottom of the well.
AY
We rented one of the big diesel air compressors and jetted it about a year and a half ago but even at that time we knew we were on limited time. We got to a point where the hose was starting to get stuck as it was filling back in above where the head was. It was not easy getting that sucker out but a little help from John Deer and we got the hose back out. It is still working but its only a matter of time before it fills in again.
Blast-n-cast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #35
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Hunt In: lavaca and colorado countys

Think I have something you may need, its either 2 3/8 or 2 1/2 pipe with a water well drill bit on 1 end. Pm me if interested
tiny's taxiderm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #36
Snake doctor
Four Point

Hunt In: Peaster/Jacksboro/Mineral Wells

I'm in the water well business and have been sence I was 5 (n Parker Co.) It's really neat
that ya r doin that .That's the same design as I think its called rigdrill r rockdrill.u could
probly get drill pipe from them.Are I know richy brothers (RB) auction is havin an action
the 1st of Oct. n Ft Worth they always sellin borin machine's with r with out pipe.U need
to drill at least a 6 3/4 hole to set 4" casing so u won't have well problems.As long as u don't drill ne body else a well you'l b ok thru the state,but u still might need a permit.
The rig looks alittle light n the britches for 150+ deep hole but u never know.Good luck
I hope I've helped some.
Snake doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #37
archeryguy
Four Point

Hunt In: Turkey

nice drill..
archeryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
hadley perdue
Nubbin' Buck

Default drill rig parts

[quote=yanta61;]

Dear yanta61: I appreciate your post regarding the construction of a well drilling rig. I have been searching for a long time for sources for the major parts required for a rig...but with little success. I am just an old worn out deer hunter and a backyard tinkerer, but I have the tools and the ability to make a small drill rig for a personal well for my garden. I did not see anything on ebay about a swivel that looked like yours. I would appreciate any guidance you or others who read this can give me on sources for the swivel, gearhead, drill stems amd such that I can use for my drill. Thank you for your consideration of this request. Hadley
hadley perdue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #39
Hoggslayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Normangee

Great job. Looks alot like a rig I helped design 20+ years ago. Do a google search for LS100 drilling rig. Alot of good info can be found. That little rig has drilled thousands of wells all over the world.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Along time ago a friend made one out of a telephone pole digger it was truck mounted and hydrolic. we used the same pipe we used for boring road crossings. Worked great except we kept burning the packing up.Our swivel was to small for the pump. Drilledseveral wells on the ranch
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #41
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Great job. Looks alot like a rig I helped design 20+ years ago. Do a google search for LS100 drilling rig. Alot of good info can be found. That little rig has drilled thousands of wells all over the world.
you sound like a Brown and Root guy?
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #42
project
Four Point

Hunt In: Tx,Ar,Nc

did this ever get completed and used?
project is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #43
yanta61
Ten Point

Still working on it. This is probably going to be the longest DYI ever.
Here is another video on some progress i have done.

http://youtu.be/dCvttiOzD6U
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #44
manwitaplan
Ten Point

Nice work. Will stay tuned into this one. I'm in it for the long haul.

Manwitaplan
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco County, Gillespie County, Polk County

Great D-I-Y engineering
Bowtechlady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #46
LEGION
Six Point

Hunt In: Louisiana and Texas

Good project, definitely following because I want to build one too. I called a company out near Gilmer to get an estimate to have a well drilled, they came out and surveyed and said they would drill about 1800ft and it would cost between $50000 to $65000. First thing I thought was, "I'm needing water not oil or gas." Although I would take that too, lol.
LEGION is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #47
Raypo
Pope & Young

Of that's the case I'm in the wrong business... That's robbery
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #48
LEGION
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Of that's the case I'm in the wrong business... That's robbery
That's what I said. I did a little research and found a company in east Texas that makes the big mobile drilling units and I think their top of the line was only $20000 to $22000.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #49
yanta61
Ten Point

The 1800 ft is the big part of the $50k.... you have to have a pretty good size rig to drill that deep. Here they want between $18-22 per foot. At $18 that’s $32k just to drill it and then screens are $100 each and then casing and all pipe and wire for the pump. Hell a pump that pump 1800' is probably pretty expensive.

I'll be happy to hit 300' with this little rig. You’re talking about a totally different ball game at 1800'
Old 09-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #50
LEGION
Six Point

Quote:
The 1800 ft is the big part of the $50k.... you have to have a pretty good size rig to drill that deep. Here they want between $18-22 per foot. At $18 thatís $32k just to drill it and then screens are $100 each and then casing and all pipe and wire for the pump. Hell a pump that pump 1800' is probably pretty expensive.

I'll be happy to hit 300' with this little rig. Youíre talking about a totally different ball game at 1800'
I can understand that reasoning more than theirs (they wouldn't give one). But doesn't 1800ft seem a little deep, more than usual?

Another thing they said was when they came out and surveyed everything was that a lot of the neighbors had what is called a "curb well." What is a curb well?