Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Brazman
Ten Point

Hunt In: futility
Default DIY Ladder Stand?

Anyone done their own? I'd like to build one this weekend, hoping for a 20ft tall one. Any bright ideas? I'm not a very handy guy, trying to work on that.
Thanks!
Brazman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Wooden ones work, and I know it's what a lot of people used for a long time, but I think the safety risk isn't worth it. I've seen them collapse plenty of times and I'll only hunt metal stands now. If you can weld, you can make a pretty sturdy ladder stand for a lot less than buying a quality one. You can buy flimsier ones that work and are safe for pretty cheap but they aren't as solid, and make more noise.

Draw up some plans or base it off an existing companies stand and get to welding up a bunch of square tube.
PSD Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I built one years ago, lemme see can I find the thread......
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=170422
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I built one last year. I am only 170 lbs so i built it as light as possible. It is made from 3/4" square tubing with 1/2" square tubing steps. My ladder is 12 foot and then the platform/seat goes on top of that. The ladder takes apart into two sections. The two sections are joined by a 1" sleeve that is welded on one portion. The other portion slides in and then i made T-bolts to secure it. I'll post some pics of it on here eventually.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Brazman
Ten Point

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm wanting to build a wooden ladder stand...no welding skills/equip./etc. I am a big guy so planning on putting lots of strength into it, don't doubt that. just wanting to see what other TBH gurus have done. Nice metal ones, guys!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Ol Thumper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Texas

The wooded stands are dangerous IMO, its just a matter of time before it fails, so ask yourself how much your life is worth before building one. Ive been in one when that busted and I fell about 10 feet luckily with no damage to myself. I will not get in one any longer.
Ol Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Brazman
Ten Point

Is a wooden ladder stand any more prone to failing than a wooden box blind? Do you feel the same about box blinds? Is there no way to make a ladder stand sturdy enough and secure enough to safely hunt out of? I'm talking 2X6's, nice big platform, ... Is all the help I'm going to get in asking how to build a wooden ladderstand, is advice simply not to build one?

Last edited by Brazman; 08-30-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lately, just in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazman View Post
Is a wooden ladder stand any more prone to failing than a wooden box blind? Do you feel the same about box blinds? Is there no way to make a ladder stand sturdy enough and secure enough to safely hunt out of? I'm talking 2X6's, nice big platform, ... Is all the help I'm going to get in asking how to build a wooden ladderstand, simply not to build one?
I think you can build a perfectly safe ladder stand out of wood if you do it right, using treated lumber and large lag screws. I've seen people scrimp on materials and slam one together using old 2x4's and nails - those are the dangerous ones. Eventually those nails get loose, water gets in the wood and rots - next thing you know a rung pops off when you put weight on it and down you go. I would also re-treat the wood and retighten eveything once a year just to be safe. It's gonna be real heavy.

Last edited by jerp; 08-30-2011 at 03:06 PM..
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,Stephens, Lampasas counties

Academy sells a metal one that is actually built for two people that holds 450 pounds I am a big guy as well 300 plus and I use these just for my self. I am also cheap and these things are right around 100 bucks I have two of them and they work fine, and I think 100 bucks wouls be cheaper than all the wood your gonna need...maybe not, just trying to see if I can make things easier for ya.
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Ol Thumper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazman View Post
Is a wooden ladder stand any more prone to failing than a wooden box blind? Do you feel the same about box blinds? Is there no way to make a ladder stand sturdy enough and secure enough to safely hunt out of? I'm talking 2X6's, nice big platform, ... Is all the help I'm going to get in asking how to build a wooden ladderstand, simply not to build one?
To answer you question no I wouldnt hunt out of an elevated wood blind unless it was on a steel platform and steel legs but thats just me. Just giving my oppinion but im not saying another word.
Ol Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
jerp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper View Post
To answer you question no I wouldnt hunt out of an elevated wood blind unless it was on a steel platform and steel legs but thats just me. Just giving my oppinion but im not saying another word.
Sounds like you've had a bad experience or two! I'm with you on elevated all-wood blinds, though. Many years ago I was in one (wood box with 4x4 legs) at a friend's lease. A big wind came up and one of the guy wires popped off - the whole thing toppled over with me in it. Luckily it was only a 8 footer but it banged me up some and broke the scope off my rifle. That was my last time in a blind of that design.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I would not recommend you build a 20' wooden ladder stand. I personally would not go over 10 with wood. Even a 10 footer would be a beast to carry and set up
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
jerp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
I would not recommend you build a 20' wooden ladder stand. I personally would not go over 10 with wood. Even a 10 footer would be a beast to carry and set up
I did not catch the fact that you wanted it to be 20'. I also would not go above 10ft with wood.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
Richard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I think you can build a perfectly safe ladder stand out of wood if you do it right, using treated lumber and large lag screws. I've seen people scrimp on materials and slam one together using old 2x4's and nails - those are the dangerous ones. Eventually those nails get loose, water gets in the wood and rots - next thing you know a rung pops off when you put weight on it and down you go. I would also re-treat the wood and retighten eveything once a year just to be safe. It's gonna be real heavy.
X2

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
lotsofshots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise County

No intention of hijacking, but I have some tripod leg kits for sale in the classifieds that might help. Each of the 3 legs are made of 2 5' sections of square tubing (6 sections altogether), so you could make 2 15' legs for your ladder stand. They're Strong Built, so they're plenty sturdy.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=229427
lotsofshots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Here's one I made from a section of ladder I was given--ladder part is 10' long.

dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
pappabear
Eight Point

Hunt In: erath county

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhoyt View Post
Academy sells a metal one that is actually built for two people that holds 450 pounds I am a big guy as well 300 plus and I use these just for my self. I am also cheap and these things are right around 100 bucks I have two of them and they work fine, and I think 100 bucks wouls be cheaper than all the wood your gonna need...maybe not, just trying to see if I can make things easier for ya.
good tip, i may have to check into these (i'm a lil over 300 myself)
pappabear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

have a wooden ladder stand i build. its 10 tall and sets in a cedar tree. works like a champ. i used treated wood and 2 1/2" screws to hold it together. its gona be heavy if you build it right but that didnt bother me since it stays where i put it. wooden stands fail because they are A. rotten or B. poorly built. avoid both of these and there will be no problems. i see only 1 problem with a 20 foot stand, properly built it would weigh a ton.

just think of ALL the wooden buildings, multi story buildings and stairs that are made of wood and used daily. GO FOR IT!!
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper TX, Victoria TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhoyt View Post
For what you are doing, I totally agree with this guy! My dad bought 2 of these stands 4 or 5 years ago and he weighs around 350. The ones that we have came with a wrap around velcro camo cover which conseals you very well and it has a roof plus it has a metal frame around it with a shooting rail which gives you security and your going to have a task adding a sturdy shooting rail w/roof and camoing it good on a wood ladder compared to the cost of just buying one ready to go. If your a big guy then these metal 2 man stands are perfect for one big person or I've hunted it with my brother and we were still ok.

My suggestion to make it last alot longer is to save your time building a wood one and buy you one of these and spend that extra time caulking any holes on the tubing to keep the moisture out (that is where your rust starts on the inside) and then I would buy some good exterior paint and repaint all of the metal before you even put it in the woods and spray the fabric with waterseal. This is what I did to ours and I think it will make it last alot longer. You can definitely do a wooden ladder and built right w plenty of braces it will be good but it sure is going to be extremely extremely heavy, I've put up the 2 man ladders before by myself and I think they are about 14' eye level which is usually plenty. If you are going to use it for bow hunting then you can either take off or fold up the shooting rail and maybe not put the roof on so you can stand up.

Just my .02
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
tpcollins
Six Point

Hunt In: Local

I've seen some 16' and higher ladder stands from Walmart, MC Sports, and the like going for as low as $80. I would think the time and money to make your own would be as much . . .
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #22
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

I have hunted out of home made ladder stand but never built one myself. I will be hunting out of a hang-on stand this year.
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #23
griffbowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

good luck on it.
griffbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #24
1kickflip100
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Public Land

Here's mine!!!