Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogboy gets off the bench............

............or should I say bucket.

I had spent over 30 hours on stand so far this year and had zero to show for it. With the cooler weather, a few reports of bucks moving, and Friday off from work, I had high hopes of changing that over the next three days.

Friday morning I had a doe with twin nubbin bucks at 10 yards but couldn’t get drawn on her with all the eyes. Finally through the trees I see deer chasing. I can’t make out horns, but things are looking up. I rattle a few times blow on the doe tube but nothing comes in. About 7:45 AM I hear quite a bit of noise coming toward me and look for a buck pushing a doe my way.

Man this stuff is thick. I’m about 15 feet up in a huge oak and still don’t see things until they’re in bow range sometimes. Some acorn crunching and more grass rustling and out steps a pig.

Hello, Mr. Brown. I need first blood on my new/used setup and you’re the first contestant so, “Come on down!!!!!” He milled around for awhile and then headed right to me. When he was at 20 yards I took the opportunity to draw. Blocked by the tree the trail would lead him right under me at 15 yards. Out he steps slightly quartering, I put my 20 pin low behind his shoulder, anchor, and “LOW,” I said!!!!!!

“OK, OK, how’s that” and drop down some more. Release, whack, the 100g Thunderhead slammed into his boilerroom and it’s off to the races. The shot looked good, the pig circled about 20 yards, the arrow popped out, and he went down hard. “Oh yeah, no tracking there.”

Click image for larger version

Name:	HogboyboarTBH.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	24718818

No wonder he didn't go far. It was a perfect shot for a hog kill and the autopsy showed the hurt the Thunderhead put on him.

Name:	100boardamageTBH.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	24718817

Saturday evening, I had the doe with the twin buttonheads come back in, but this time they were looking the wrong way when Mama went away. Not much tracking here either. I hit her high with a 100g Muzzy getting spine/lung and she dropped like a rock.

Name:	GarydoeTBH.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24718820

Dr. Death joined me Saturday afternoon and also scored for Team Hogboy. He might share the story if he wants, but lets just say it was a very short track.

Name:	DocdoeTBH.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	24718819

It was a great weekend. Thanks for the help Darrell and congrats on your bowkill.

Now I'm focusing on some bone!

Congrats! I've kinda been in the same boat. Thinking about getting out there today.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats and way to get er done.

Comment

Slow here too... Thanks for the LDP's to get the fever goin again.... I wish this **** wind would die down now...Good kills...

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt

Comment

congrats, to both of you

Comment

Congrats on the fresh meat.

Comment

Atta Boy! Maybe that big buck will make a visit next time!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Well done, Gentlemen. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Congrats to both of you

Comment

Working...
                              X