Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap DIY e-call

Thought I'd actually share one.
    I made a CHEAP e-caller. I wondered why everyone bought everything separate, so decided to try my plan. This took all of about 5 or 10 minutes

I started out w/ a Harbor Freight Megaphone, on sale for Inside Track $3.99 right now. This seemed like the best deal, speaker, and amp all in one package.

Also used an old phone that will play mp3's. and a computer input cable

When you open it, you will see 2 screws, remove these

After removing the "guts" sorry, didn't think to take pics, and don't want to take it apart. You will see the microphone, 1 red, 1 black wire. I put a pic from the outside.

Clipped the 2 wires from mic, clipped the computer cable and spliced them, I didn't weld, just used butt connectors.

Finished product. Seems pretty good, clear and loud, but haven't really tried it anywhere yet. Don't know if I'll get to or not, but wanted to be able to say I did this.

I'll try it w/ a friends walkies this weekend to see if it works wireless.

** Guess I could have split this up, but didn't know what was best ***

Hope it gives someone ideas.

That's a great idea let me know how it works may have to make one of these

Comment

awesome idea, looking forward to hear the results of it

Comment

So do the batteries go back in or is the phone now the power source?

Comment

Awesome build!

Comment

The batteries go back in the megaphone.

I don't know when/if I'll ever get to try it out. Maybe I'll just try crows in the yard. It does seem really clear and loud.

Need to paint it up or throw it in a bag.

Stupid phone fell out of the truck, so I am on the lookout for a real cheap mp3 player, don't really want to more than double the investment in the project.

Comment

looks pretty good

Comment

great idea! I did something very similar with an iPod and a pair of high output speakers. It wasn't as directionally focused as yours though... nicely done

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. Turns out I didn't lose the phone, just stuck under the truck seat. May try to put it in the yard this weekend and try for crows. Still need to get a pr. of walkies to try wireless, but don't want to buy just for that.

Comment

I could see a working phone with the ring tone set as a dieing cotton tail, call it and you got your wireless remote...

Comment

Working phone, that's not a bad idea. This was just stuff I had around the house. I just won a pair of cheap walkies on e-bay. They have the VOX feature, so we'll see if it will work when they come it.

Comment

Accidently deleted pics from photobucket, so took new ones.

1. Megaphone (red & white to begin w/) Usually 9.99 @HF.

2. 2 screws to remove - clip red & black wire, this bypasses microphone.

3. front of megaphone. The alarm & music still work (so you have a siren too)

4. Cheap old phone. Just downloaded calls from varmint al and other places.

Comment

i like the price of this way more than a foxpro! How loud is it? Is the audio clear?

Comment

audio is pretty good. Gets far louder than I think you'd need. I have actually hooked it up to a pair of walkie talkies and used it that way. Had my son w/ me so nothing came in, but an hour after we used it the yotes were going wild.

Comment

I dont understand the walkie talkie part??

Comment

Working...
                              X