Proposed 2007 ANTLER RESTRICTON counties - need public response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed 2007 ANTLER RESTRICTON counties - need public response

I've inquired to TPWD about adding antler restrictions in my county (hill) next year and they want public opinion whether it be mail, e-mail or phone calls, so all you north/cental/east texas guys who would support antler restrictions in you county next year post your name and county. They are especially interested in landowners. I will email the thread to TPWD later.

I own land in East Texas (2 counties), Smith & Bowie! I am in favor of antler restrictions in both counties. Not sure how to enforce it without arresting 50% of the natives but it would be a great idea!

Comment

I wish they would make the restrictions state wide.

Comment

Bill Morris, Madison County and I'm the landowner. Don't get me started!

They stopped just short of us to the north in Leon County this year.

Comment

Who do we contact to let them know we support it in addition to you informing them about this thread?

Comment

Brian Wolfe Wise County

Comment

Ken Arthur, Trinity County. We have some great deer but most never get enough age to reach their potential. Antler restrictions would be great for Trinity County.

Comment

Texhunter public comment about these issues and others of interest may be made to TPWD, Regulatory Proposals Public Comment, 4200 Smith School Road, 78744, by phoning 800-792-1112 or by visiting the Web (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/)

Comment

Curious????

What's the pro's and con's from your perspective?

Comment

Pros
                    #1 Healthier deer herd (better age class)
                    #2 More rutting activity
                    #3 Increased bag limit on bucks (ability to take out culls without burning your only buck tag)
                    #4 Increase in # of trophy bucks

Cons
                    First year of the restrictions are usally considered a throw away year before the younger bucks in the area are legal

Comment

I can understand that you would now have a higher occupancy of mature bucks.

"more rutting activity"........ I guess more bucks would be fighting over the doe herd? Is that a pro for the hunter?

"Increased bag limit on bucks".......... Are there allot of one buck counties? that makes sense to thin out your spikes but won't that also create more mature bucks being taken as well? or would you try to propose a "spike only" tag?

"Increase # of trophy bucks"....... yeah, by having the herd more mature then yes you will definitely have bigger deer, but would it take away from the first time bow hunter buck harvest experience? Meaning, if the first bow buck they ever take is a monster then what would they have to look forward to in the future? I'd prefer to have the option to let my 8 year old daughter harvest a nice little 8 point basket rack or slick 6 for her first deer than for it to be a trophy. Her first buck would be the trophy.

I'm just trying to understand and learn about the pro/cons of the antler restriction. I can see the purpose, as I hunt on 25 acres out in Granger which is east of IH 35, and we have a 13" or better minimum and/or one unbranched antler only, so for this season my daughter and I will only take a 13" or better, unless I can find somewhere to use my remaining tags. It sux for our season. I'm sure the restriction is due to our lack of deer population, but if you are in a heavy deer populated area would you want such a restriction? doesn't it take away from the kid experience?

Just seeking clarification and assistance in learning more about this topic. Thanks.

Comment

I think the law is good for game management but bad for helping bring the youth into the sport. I'd rather have a young excited hunters than letting a buck get another year for antler size. Maybe if they could say the law only applies to adult hunters or some other age requirement then I would be in favor of it. I also hunt in Burnet Cty. (2 buck county) so I've never had to worry about shooting a spike and wasting my only buck tag so I have a different perspective about it than those of you who hunt 1 buck counties.

Kids hunting for their first time may have to pass on the only deer that walks out in front of them. My first deer wouldn't have been allowed if they had antler restrictions back then. I don't know if I would be as addicted to hunting now if it wasn't for the joys of bringing home a deer back then. I definitely wouldn't have been as excited about going back then if I would have been told to hold off on them as they walked out. Even though it was a young deer that I wouldn't shoot now, it's still one of the best hunting memories I have to date was shooting that first deer.

I'm taking an 11 year old hunting for the first time in a couple of weeks and don't plan on holding him back if a young buck walks out.

Comment

amen bigl , my first buck was a little 2 year old six point that would be illegal to kill under antler restrictions but this was 11 years ago so none were present. i also hunt in burnet county (2 bucks) so shooting a spike is no biggie for me either. i personally think that the anler restrictions focuses to much on the trophy hunters and leaves the average joe who is hunting for meat hanging in the wind, id like to kill a trophy buck just as much as the next but having some meat in the freezer at the end of the year is just as if not more important than how big the horns are. dont take away the joy of harvesting an animal with the fact that his antlers arent big enough, because quite frankly they both taste the same

Comment

Trust me Antler restrictions in your county is something that you should definitely want. I bowhunt in Colorado county where we have had the restriction since TPWD implemented them 5 or 6 years ago. The difference in the number and size of our bucks is phenomenal. Sure the system won't ever be perfect in everyones eyes but nothing in life ever is. There will always be someone who disagrees with the system but as long as the majority is happy who cares. If all a hunter wants is meat then why would he care if he shot a basket rack 8 pt. or a doe instead. Why not help out the folks who enjoy the better bucks and kill a long horned spike. If people are worried about their kids taking their first buck deer as the first thing they feel like shooting then mention it to TPWD. Maybe they can waive the antler restrictions for the youth weekend hunt. They seem to want to make accomodations for folks where they can.

Comment

If you increase the antler restrictions, this will increase the deers age. So what long term effect does it take towards buck to doe ratio? Is there a significant difference or not much at all?

Is there any type of norm or average in Texas for buck to doe ratio?

Comment

Working...
                              X