Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Default Best Hunting Recurve?

Hi guys, Ive always shot a compound and I'm thinking of going to recurve!!What recurve is the best out there? What should i look for in a bow when i buy? My DL is 30!! Any extra info would help!
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Txnrog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real Co, Tx & Colorado

Do a search on here, but you came to the right place. I got one as a whim last spring, and haven't shot my compound since July. First, there is no BEST, just like with a compound, you need to shoot several different makes/bowyers before buying. Your DL will change when you go to trad. Hopefully not shorten much, but each person is a bit different. If you're shooting a loop & release, and anchor to the same place, you should lengthen a bit.

Couple general pointers:
1) To start, get a light weight bow, and don't spend too much on it. You'll want to start playing right away, but it'll take you a while to figure out what you really like. If you go too heavy to start, it's really easy to develop some bad habits. It's a waste of $$ to go by the 'best' bow available or have one made until you get the basics down, figure out a comfortable weight, and find out what you like in a bow.

2) If your DL stays @ 30 or grows a bit, you'll want to generally look at bows 62 inches or longer.

3) Weights are usually marked at 28inches draw, and the general rule is about 3lbs per inch past that. TO A POINT. At some lenght a bow will start to stack - meaning the next inch may gain 5lbs, and 7lbs after that.

4) Go to a shoot or chat with someone on here near you that has a number of bows, you'll shorten the learning curve significantly.

5)Once you've done this, and figured out what you want, go talk to Bob Sarrels in Austin.
Txnrog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Txnrog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real Co, Tx & Colorado

BTW, definately recommend reading the 'Sticky's' at the top of the trad forum
Txnrog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Will do thx

Sent by Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Deb
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txnrog View Post
Do a search on here, but you came to the right place. I got one as a whim last spring, and haven't shot my compound since July. First, there is no BEST, just like with a compound, you need to shoot several different makes/bowyers before buying. Your DL will change when you go to trad. Hopefully not shorten much, but each person is a bit different. If you're shooting a loop & release, and anchor to the same place, you should lengthen a bit.

Couple general pointers:
1) To start, get a light weight bow, and don't spend too much on it. You'll want to start playing right away, but it'll take you a while to figure out what you really like. If you go too heavy to start, it's really easy to develop some bad habits. It's a waste of $$ to go by the 'best' bow available or have one made until you get the basics down, figure out a comfortable weight, and find out what you like in a bow.

2) If your DL stays @ 30 or grows a bit, you'll want to generally look at bows 62 inches or longer.

3) Weights are usually marked at 28inches draw, and the general rule is about 3lbs per inch past that. TO A POINT. At some lenght a bow will start to stack - meaning the next inch may gain 5lbs, and 7lbs after that.

4) Go to a shoot or chat with someone on here near you that has a number of bows, you'll shorten the learning curve significantly.

5)Once you've done this, and figured out what you want, go talk to Bob Sarrels in Austin.
This is all great stuff. We can never tell you enough--don't over bow yourself starting out--the bad habits this causes a very hard to break. Some people never break them. Go to Bob's and shoot everything he has.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Trick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
This is all great stuff. We can never tell you enough--don't over bow yourself starting out--the bad habits this causes a very hard to break. Some people never break them. Go to Bob's and shoot everything he has.
When you go to Bob's, prepare to spends some money. His Puma recurve is a real nice shooter.

Matt
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
bountyhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: My little piece of heaven near Zavalla

I can't add a lot to what is said, except start out with carbon or aluminum arrows. Wood is great once you get your technique down, but carbon or aluminum will take some issues out of the mix for a beginner.

Check out www.savagebows.com Tim is up in your neck of the woods and makes some really beautiful takedown recurves.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Mike Murphey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

I would recommend going to a TBOT or traditional shoot to look at all the models you can get your hands on.....The Glen Parker Memorial Shoot/Chester Shoot is coming up the weekend after Mothers day, (I think that is right, if not someone will chime in to get the right date). You will probably lose an inch or so on draw length from a compound. As someone said, don't go over on poundage....stay around 45-50 pounds to learn the ropes right.
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
grunt
Four Point

Good suggestions from the above.
Don't over bow, go at least 62", I like carbon arrows to start with.
Go somewhere that will let you test the bow. even if it's only 10 yds.
At 30 in dl you need to make sure the bow doesn't stack.
grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Bisch
Pope & Young

Listen to all that was said above. There is really nothing more I can add.

As stated above: DO NOT OVERBOW YOURSELF TO START OUT! Trad bows have 0% letoff and form and consistency are the two things that will make you a good shooter.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Deb
Pope & Young

Starting out with aluminum arrows is very wise advice, too. Wood are for later. Do join us at the shoots, you will learn a ton of stuff and see how much fun we have.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Thanks guys for advice, very helpful.

Sent by Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
meangene1969
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wichita / Wilbarger County

Dont over bow
meangene1969 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Wayne Meuir
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maverick, Texas

stickinpigs, what part of town do you live in? I have several bows that I would be happy to let you try out just to get the feel for what everyone has been telling you here.
I am a member at Collin County Bowhunters and have access to the range all the time. Be happy to take you out for a round of practice just about anytime.

Wayne
Wayne Meuir is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Night Wing
Ten Point

With your 30" draw length, you need to demo shoot some 62", 64" and 66" bows to avoid a caase of "finger pinch". I have a 30" draw length and I prefer a 66" bow over a 64" bow. The 62" bow I demoed, gave me a case of "finger pinch".
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
stickinpigs, what part of town do you live in? I have several bows that I would be happy to let you try out just to get the feel for what everyone has been telling you here.
I am a member at Collin County Bowhunters and have access to the range all the time. Be happy to take you out for a round of practice just about anytime.

Wayne
thx for offer Wayne, one of my buddies is coming into town with a few of his bows this weekend!! Ill let yall know how it goes!! Thx again for all the help!!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
RemMan700
Ten Point

I just bought a Samick Sage last night with a Bear hair rest installed for like $145 . If you go to Smithfield Archery and talk to Stan and Rhonda they will let you try one out.

This guy does a review of it:

Part 2:

Last edited by RemMan700; 03-31-2011 at 10:49 AM..
RemMan700 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Cottonwood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever my camera leads me.

I have no complaints over my Samick Spikeman, as it is both smooth and dead nuts accurate in my hand.
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
BIG_B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Travis County

Samick Sage is an awsome bow. Great to learn on and priced right. U can get one in lower poundage 35 or so to get your form down real good then go up for hunting. the new limbs are 70 bucks. then u have practice weight limbs as well as bowfishing. this is the cheapest way to get started. its also nice to have a break down bow.

then start saving for your custom.

one thing i learned if your left eye dominent and shoot right handed like me. U will want to learn to shoot left hand. Makes a big differnce in groups and not as hard to learn as you would think.
BIG_B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #20
Deb
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_B View Post
Samick Sage is an awsome bow. Great to learn on and priced right. U can get one in lower poundage 35 or so to get your form down real good then go up for hunting. the new limbs are 70 bucks. then u have practice weight limbs as well as bowfishing. this is the cheapest way to get started. its also nice to have a break down bow.

then start saving for your custom.

one thing i learned if your left eye dominent and shoot right handed like me. U will want to learn to shoot left hand. Makes a big differnce in groups and not as hard to learn as you would think.
I'm with your first paragraph 100%. However I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed just fine. Just see what works for you.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
Hudge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Center, Tx....Grapeland, Tx

i started with a martin serengetti then got a deal on a bob lee it was night and day difference so everyone on here is right bout shootin different bows wish i would have known i just got lucky
Hudge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top