Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
imyomama
Ten Point

Default remote tree watering system

alright, so i'm planning on putting some pecans and fruit trees on my ranch in a couple of weeks , but west texas heat can be tough on young trees, so I came up with this idea to water them when they need it... I made a prototype in my driveway and it dispersed a little over 3 gallons overnight (12 hours or so..)

so here it is in short.. 55 gallon drum, some pvc fittings and a valve .. and cut up soaker hose.. make a ring from the soaker hose.. (see pic).. the bigger the ring , the more water it will put out.. the valve can slow the flow or turn off when not needed... the plan is to plant the tree.. put this ring on , then cover with mulch .. this way, less chance for evaporation, and all the water gets to the tree

I'll have to see how the trees do from turning this on for a day or so on the weekends.. based on rainfall, heat, etc... i'm not always there.. so here's the pic.I plan on planting 5 trees at a time just to seei'll start with pecan , pear and maybe one other kind.... deer ought to love it...whatcha think ?
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
homegrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill, Bosque, Ellis, SE OK, NM

Makes sense to me. Gonna be heavy though.
homegrown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
imyomama
Ten Point

tractor with front end loader will do the hard work .. got a 300 gallon on a trailer for refills just got to buy a pump...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/San Saba Counties

Ought to work pretty good. Gonna have to build some pens around your trees or the deer will eat them and kill them. Would hate to see all that hard work go down the drain.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)

You could put a guzzler on top to catch the free rain water when it is there.
huntinfool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

nice.....if your 300 gallon tank in higher that the top of the barrels you shouldn't need a pump. not sure how hight your trailer is.
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
project
Four Point

Hunt In: Tx,Ar,Nc

Several years ago i planted some fruit trees. I used 4" pvc about 3 feet long necked down to 1" for about a foot and put a cap on the small end. Then i drilled about 10 1/8 diameter holes close to the bottom on the side facing the tree. Buried the bottom 12" in the ground and filled it up with water. The ground will soak up the water as needed and being below ground level it tends to make the roots of the tree go down deeper in search of water and will help them out later on. I would bury your soaker hose at least a foot deep and would do the same thing i did with a bigger tank for the water.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
project is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
D.A. HUNTER
Four Point

Hunt In: hondo,tx

You can buy a battery operated flow switch at home depot that works on a timer.So you dont have to worry about turning it off and on. You can find it where the sprinkler stuff is at.
D.A. HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A. HUNTER View Post
You can buy a battery operated flow switch at home depot that works on a timer.So you dont have to worry about turning it off and on. You can find it where the sprinkler stuff is at.
I don't think so .. most of them require minimum water pressure to work properly .. I emailed a company that specializes in this and they could not find one that would work with no pressure.. someone makes it .. but they don't carry it .. the home depot ones are the same way...

on the refill part .. I just ordered a well to be drilled on my place .. so i'll have water close by with no chemicals in it like city water.. i'll just get an extra barrel filled up and go refill that way .. just laying in the front end loader of the tractor and lifted 10 feet or so should make gravity drain pretty fast ...

I'll just turn the water on a needed for 12 to 24 hours every few weeks when I go there... i'll use a shovel to see waht the moisture level is around the tree

this way the roots won't be wet all the time either ..

I also think that as the ground saturates , the flow will slow ... we'll see..

got the barrels filled and on the trailer .. taking them this weekend along with 5 new trees .. 2 pecans and 3 fruit trees.. (what ever cross polinates)

I plan on using cattle pannels to wrap around the trees .. a 16 ft panel should make a nice circle around the tree and keep the critters out ...

my cz 452 will do the rest if varmints decide to try to pass the fortifications ..
Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
F250DSLPWR
Six Point

Great idea! I need to do this too.
F250DSLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
imyomama
Ten Point

update! well the trees are in the ground.. and the barrels are installed... however it seems like it poured 1/3 of the barrel overnight.. I think the barrels being in the sun all day built up some pressure... so a small pressure relief hole will be needed on top, or run less time...

well , they got a good soaking either way.. got pic on my phone.. will post it later!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
baldybarton
Ten Point

Well as the barrel empty's the flow will decrease as the pressure drops. p=gdh
baldybarton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Should work like a champ. basicly a huge tree gator
Dirtymike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Edwards
Six Point

Hunt In: Young and Haskel counties

like the ideal ,might have to use the same set up when you get all the bugs worked out.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
johnsonzl
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

They will water less and less as the water level drops but I really like the idea.
johnsonzl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
imyomama
Ten Point

well, i'm thinking of making a water level device for the lid , using pvc pipes .. one larger one screwed to the lig .. inside , a smaller one with water marks ..and a float .. so as the level goes down .. the pipe goes down and you can see really quick what the level is ...with a little practice , I could really gauge how many gallons of water I'm using ...

it would also serve as a pressure relief ...
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #17
imyomama
Ten Point

done and installed.... updated pic...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #18
sticks
Four Point

Hunt In: brownwood/may tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
update! well the trees are in the ground.. and the barrels are installed... however it seems like it poured 1/3 of the barrel overnight.. I think the barrels being in the sun all day built up some pressure... so a small pressure relief hole will be needed on top, or run less time...

well , they got a good soaking either way.. got pic on my phone.. will post it later!
drill a small hole in the lid, pressure won't biuld up
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
imyomama
Ten Point

so far so good .. trees are blooming ! here is an update video of the refilling!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

That is a great idea
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
Redraider
Eight Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

make sure and do something about insects. I did the same thing and the grasshoppers ate my two trees.
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
paintman
Ten Point

Hunt In: granger mostly

nice job,im trying to figure out something about my garden,its so windy a sprinklers not working
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
rage-n-cajun
Six Point

Hunt In: Louisiana and Texas

what kind of fertilizer are you using, a use a root stimulator when i plant new trees.
rage-n-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #24
rage-n-cajun
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
nice job,im trying to figure out something about my garden,its so windy a sprinklers not working
Try using a drip irrigation, the wind shouldn't be a problem
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #25
imyomama
Ten Point

i used insecticidal soap for bugs, and root stimulator for the tree roots when i planted.. i'll probably start the first round of fertilizer soon... as far as grass hoppers, I mowed the field so the weeds are knocked down... hopefully that will help as well...
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #26
duaned87
Four Point

Hunt In: Karnes,Bexar,Wilson

imyomama, hey sorry man but i used your idea, it works great
duaned87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #27
imyomama
Ten Point

Cool!!! I'm glad my DIY helped someone!! take a pic, and give us updates from time to time! I think it would be helpful to post watering intervals and fertilizing schedules as well... keeping the bugs from eating them is going to be the key!

I already had spiders eating the leaves.. I'm going to keep spraying them with the soap.....

so far I've watered every weekend .. hopefully we'll get some rain! won't be back for 2 weeks...

I leave them on for 3 to 4 hours now... a green grass ring is now forming around them as well ... so I think it's about right!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

Okay, here is a little project I have going this year. Planted 20 Allegheny Chinkapins and Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks for the deer. Both are drought tolerant once established, and produce at an early age. I used 5'x5' squares of black plastic to create a solar still effect, reduce evaporation, and minmize moisture loss due to weed competition. Also planted them with some of the moisture crystals in the hole with the roots. The ground I dished into a bowl shape before the trees went in to help collect runoff.

In the left edge of this next picure you can see my water totes, I use the bottom one for a gravity flow deer waterer on the other side of the brush, and the top one I use to run my gravity flow drip irrigation system for my trees. I use regular drip tubing and emitters, but you need a special timer. The folks that say most timers need about 10psi are correct, except there is one that works on zero pressure. It is made by Holman, and called the low pressure timer (TLP), It is available from a company called Dripworks for $40. Google it, you will find it. I know it will work because I am running two of them for my chinkapins and japanese persimmons. I use the take apart emitters from dripworks too, because if the get clogged you can just take them apart and clean them. Good cheap system that wont run you ragged hauling water.

Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #29
Bodey
Ten Point

Hunt In: TomGreen & Sterling Co's.

4-6 inches of good mulch or hay about 2 feet out all the way around will keep the grass and weeds from competing and conserve your water in a big way. I would hold off on the fertilizing until about this time next year. You are looking for natural deep root growth and the root stimulator you already gave them should be more than ample for this growing season.
Bodey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodey View Post
4-6 inches of good mulch or hay about 2 feet out all the way around will keep the grass and weeds from competing and conserve your water in a big way. I would hold off on the fertilizing until about this time next year. You are looking for natural deep root growth and the root stimulator you already gave them should be more than ample for this growing season.
thanks for that .. I was going to go to the nursery to find out... the ground id sandy loam for a little over a foot and turning into clay soon after... i'm hoping this type of soil will be ok...I was told not to mix any potting soil with it, just keep it all the same composition... this is my first try .. i hope it works ...

one of my pecan trees bloomed but the blooms turned brown after a week... not sure if that's normal or not... on the oaks it seems it does that before the leaves come in.. so we'll see in a couple of weeks when i get back over there...

hopefully we got a little rain there last night as well... it has not rained ther in 3 months (callahan county)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
rage-n-cajun
Six Point

When i plant trees, i dig out the grass around the tree 2-4 feet, just scrap it down enough to get the roots out, u can then spray a little round-up to kill the remainding roots, also there is a product called PREEN, u can sprinkle it around the tree to help prevent weed growth, then build a mote around the tree to help with watering, should be built just outside the hole that was dug, when it does rain it will help filter more water into the base of the tree. Also 2-4 inches of mulch will help with weed suppression and moisture control, just be sure not to put to much around the trunk. As far as insects, the soap works, but there are lots of granuals that can be sprinkled around the base of the tree, the bugs will eat that first before climbing. sorry for the long post.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #32
rage-n-cajun
Six Point

oh and even though you used a root stimulator, drop a coulple handfuls of a granual fertilzer around the base, i usually throw it in the hole before planting, but on top around the trunk works well, i prefer OSMOCOTE!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #33
reedjj
Six Point

Hunt In: Where the elk are

You may not want to hear this one but if they are trees fresh off a nursery you should cut about the top half of the tree to allow the root to shoot ratio to balance out. You will get fruit faster this way and your young trees will not be as stressed.
reedjj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #34
Canoe1
Ten Point

When I plant trees, I mix the dirt from the hole 50/50 with a good compost. Mix in a little organic (such as medina growing green) fertilizer. Do not dig the hole deeper than the pot the tree came in. But dig it about twice as big around, in a square, this will help keep the roots from becoming root bound, but might not be such and issue in the sand.
You will want to bury the tree at the same depth as it was in the pot, bury it deeper and in a few years you will run the risk of the trunk rotting out and killing the tree.
And don't skimp on the mulch, but like mentioned, pull it away from the trunk a little.
Canoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top