Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
jettech17
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever the opportunity arises
Default Diamond outlaw review

Short and sweet folks.. You have to give up quiet and ease of draw to shoot this bow.. BUT for $499.99 ready to shoot, I sent a 387 grain arrow down range at 296fps!!!!!!! Again, it draws very heavy and then comes over a hump that makes a full capture rest a necessity.. This is followed by a .22 long rifle-esque pop upon release. It IS fast for the money and lightweight, but I'm not real sure I'm willing to give up so much to buy one.. I'm hoping to shoot an assassin Monday, if so I'll post up a report..
jettech17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Kingslayer
Ten Point

Was expecting a better review..coming from a Diamond
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

Was this a bare bow? No whiskers on the strings or anything? String stopper? My buddy's Black Ice is loud too (IMO) but he has nothing on the string other than his peep and just one of those string stoppers to quiet it down. I'm not sure I like those things. anyway, but after hearing his bow, I think all they do is trade the "twang" of the string for a "pop" of the string slapping rubber.
txfireguy2003 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
jettech17
Ten Point

It has the carbon rod string stop and there newest string silencers.. If I knew I could quiet it down I would learn to deal with the draw to get that speed for that price..
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
txfireguy2003
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet Co.

Ehhh, as has been said before, speed just means you miss faster. I do know though, that speed is nice to have, and agree with you that it sould also be quiet. I would be willing to bet that if you removed that carbon rod string stop, and replace the string silencers with some rubber whiskers, it would be much quieter, but then again, the whiskers might slow it down a tad.
txfireguy2003 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
rbwilkes
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Sika Farm

I'm not a diamond fan....
rbwilkes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
TedStriker
Six Point

Hunt In: Buda, Bonham, George West

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech17 View Post
Short and sweet folks.. You have to give up quiet and ease of draw to shoot this bow.. BUT for $499.99 ready to shoot, I sent a 387 grain arrow down range at 296fps!!!!!!! Again, it draws very heavy and then comes over a hump that makes a full capture rest a necessity.. This is followed by a .22 long rifle-esque pop upon release. It IS fast for the money and lightweight, but I'm not real sure I'm willing to give up so much to buy one.. I'm hoping to shoot an assassin Monday, if so I'll post up a report..
Curious as to what silencer u use on ur .22, I shot one
Last week and it shot faster than a Fred bear attack and was quieter.....ur talkin about a bare bow at 399, I thought it was a great buy for the $
TedStriker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Hawg Slayer 4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the hogs are

I'm surprised to hear that coming from a diamond bow!
Hawg Slayer 4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
jettech17
Ten Point

Next to my switchback, it's very loud.. Next to--- insert brand here---- it may not be..I'm not a brand man, I'll shoot whatever, and have in the past shot different brands so I'm not just downing the diamond.. I really was excited to try it hoping for better, but again I shoot a cream puff.. Just wanted to speed up a bit, I'm maxed out on weight and only making 260.7 fps.. Just not willing to pay what Mathews requires to keep up with a $500 package bow..
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
jettech17
Ten Point

Update: I really wanted this to be my new bow!! I'm gonna take my bow up and shoot it in the "'sound booth" that is the range at the store and compare the two side by side.. Just to make sure its not just the room I was shooting in..
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
Gunther
Banned!!!

That is disappointing to hear. I sold an Outlaw package the other day that the customer (TBH'er Buckshot-73) shot & loved. But it was a shorter draw & less poundage, it was quiet and smooth. I hate to hear the 70lb rig is getting such bad feedback at longer draw lengths.

Last edited by Gunther; 02-24-2011 at 06:14 AM..
Gunther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
jettech17
Ten Point

ummmmmm ok, maybe I was wrong there monkey licky
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Buckshot-73
Ten Point

Hunt In: no where

I am sorry to hear this..As Gunther said,I just purchased an Outlaw. I spent about 2hrs. Shooting 6or7different bows,from a Strothers,Elite,high country,Bowtech, and picked the Outlaw over all of them. I am not that concerned about the speed,I am more concerned with accuracy.. The noise,I didn't notice mine being that noisy(compared to my 10 year old High Country,outlaw was very quiet)...I appreciate Gunther and the rest of the staff at CCR taking the time to set up many bows just for me to shoot a few times. They really went above and beyond to make sure I was happy..jettech,I wish you lived closer to CCR.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Buckshot-73
Ten Point

Hunt In: no where

Reported
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
jettech17
Ten Point

Quote:
After shooting the assassin last night and my switchback at the same time,I have to update my statement.I have to believe that it was the small concrete shooting range that I shot the outlaw in that made it sound so loud.The assassin and outlaw draw the same and make the same speeds,AND were no louder than my switchback.I guess I'll have to get used to the draw cycle.Now the hard decision,outlaw or assassin?

Kid, they had the assassin and the detroyer,and the either the monster or the invasion,I couldn't tell..I keed I keed
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
jettech17
Ten Point

Quote:
ummmmmm ok, maybe I was wrong there monkey licky
This makes no sense without the goofy spam ad that was here!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
Buck assasin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert lee ,tx Blackwell, Tx Rockwall, TX AND NEW MEXICO

i shot both the 70lbs assassin and the outlaw, when i shot the assassin it was a very smooth draw back and the string makes a lil noise but nothing to major and it was shock free in the hand and very accurate. i then shot the outlaw and after pulling it back a few times i didnt even notice the hump at the end of the draw cycle. i ended up buying the outlaw and changeing out the stabilizer and rest, to reduce the vib and im not a fan of the hostage. after that i shot the dead eye and wasnt that inpressed with it even with it riged up it has quite a bit of hand vib after the shot and its noticeibly louder than it follower all though it was super fast for a single cam bow and accurate as all get out it still didnt out do the fugitive , outlaw or the assassin in my opinion.

Last edited by Buck assasin; 06-27-2011 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: type o
Buck assasin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
easeup
Eight Point

the guy next to me at the office bought an Outlaw last month. we have been to shoot it several times. I think it is a great bow at a very good price. It is smokin fast, and it is plenty quiet (he could always add string whiskers on it). It does have a strong pull over on it, but that is part of the deal. The Outlaw is thumbs up to me.
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
Mr. Stickers
Six Point

Hunt In: Brackettville Tx.

I purchased an Outlaw this year from Bass Pro Shops in Katy Tx. The Staff at BPS was great in letting me shoot as many Bows as I needed to make my decision, that being said I'm a lefty so that was only about 4 different ones. I also tried a Mathews Z7 Extreme at a different archery shop. The Z7 is def. quieter then the Outlaw, but IMO is not any faster. The Z7 is a lil smoother to draw......but there again not any faster IMO. I did not like the accessories the outlaw came with, so I rigged out with new sights, fall away rest, now I need to change stabilizer & add monkey tails to string, maybe that will make a bit more quiet ( don't get me wrong the bow is not really that loud )..........all in all very impressed with the outlaw, even have friends that shoot Mathews, Pse, & Hoyt comment that my Outlaw is smokin em down range just as well as thier high $ bows.
Mr. Stickers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
krtnorris
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

I to bought my bow at Bass Pro Shop in Katy. I am still not hearing the .22 crack that people are talking about. My bow shoots very well and is fast and quiet. Can't beat that. It is my first bow and I would recommend it to anyone. For the $ its a goodif not the besy buy!
krtnorris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #21
mTn hunting
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can!

Quote:
I have the 60-70 set at 72lbs 31" draw I have no problem with the draw and it's smooth and very quiet! I love this bow! I would recommend this bow to everyone.
But this is my 2 cents!
mTn hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top