Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live from the kitchen ..... seafood gumbo

decided to support my local economy and buy some Louisiana seafood

fixing a seafood gumbo and wanted to share this live cooking thread with my amigos

i did most of the prep work a few minutes ago as follow along on the journey and yummy pictorial

the ingredients: ..... blue point crabs, shrimp, oysters, onion, bell pepper, garlic, green onion tops, RB and Old Bay seasoning, celery .............. and the secret ingredient powdered shrimp

the Zatarains box has the boiling bag which I use with the seafood to make a stock ...... stock will later be added to the roux

Wish I could see the pic here from work but it sounds awesome! Do you use okra in this recipe and dare I ask do you use pre made roux?

Comment

Looks like the beginnings of something good!

Is the Tahoe gonna be full if RB when I pick it up???lol

Comment

Nice!!! I just wolfed down some Texas style grub, and am stretched out in a horizontal position on the couch, but I am here and ready for this!!!

My view!!!

Looking good so far CB!!!

Skinny

Comment

no okra, tomatoes , or tomato paste in my gumbo

i make enough roux (from scratch) to last several gumbos and store it in a mason jar for future use

Lance, I'll hook you up amigo

got 2 pots going right now , one for the stock, the other for the vegetables .... pics to follow

Comment

Yummmm..... My wife made shimp gumbo with okra tonight, first time in a long time. It was yummy. Some crab would be nice. Watching, just can't afford to get hungry again.

Comment

I"ve used CB's recipe before. Unbeatable. Didn't know about the Old Bay seasoning though!

Comment

pot 1 .... browning the onions , celery, and bell pepper in real butter

pot 2 .... making the seafood stock . I added some RB, old bay , bay leaves, black pepper corn, and got it to a gentle boil for 10-15 minutes. Shrimp, crabs, and oysters added for 8-10 minutes and I'll take them out.

Comment

Dangit Blake! I'm on a pasta/carb diet in preparation for tomorrow's Houston Marathon ...and you show me this .

BTW ...I will be passing through your town tomorrow evening headed to New Orleans. Have to attend a funeral down there on Mon. morning so I'm gonna run the marathon in the morning then drive to Nawlins. If I get a minute...I'll sure try to holla at ya. May be pushed for time...but will certainly try.

Take care and man, that gumbo-to-be has got my mouth watering ) !

Tim

Comment

to bad we don't have smell-o-vision.

Comment

vegetables are browning well , as I'll add the minced garlic when everything else is "translucent"

Comment

NOTHING beats Louisiana cooking! Going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and visit family, will stock up on seafood to bring home.

Comment

I need a bigger kitchen or 2 more arms ....... wife is making a bananas foster cake and I'm being told I'm in her way WHATEVER !!!!

I'll post pics of that cake too when it's done

Comment

Dang that sounds and looks like it's gonna be good.

Seafood or bananas foster?? Tell her to move outta your way!!!
                            Last edited by Fishndude; 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

veggies are perfect, just added the garlic ...... roux will soon follow

Comment

Working...
                              X