DH30's Homemade Ground Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DH30's Homemade Ground Blind

Here are the instructions I put together a few years ago. I cannot find the pictures that went with this, but I'll keep looking. These instructions are based off a groundblind that Tuthdoc told me how to build. You can customize this blind to meet your needs, but here are the basic instructions:

1. Buy the materieals:
    Cattle panel (qty=1)
    ½” CPVC (qty=3)
    Camo spray paint (optional)
    Green black rubber backed outdoor carpet (27’)
    #12 solid core insulated electrical wire
    Black cable ties (or zip ties as I call them)

2. Cut the cattle panel in half. Cut the horizontal wires against one of the vertical wires. (I only do this for transportation. If you can carry a 16’ panel, then there is no need to cut)

3. Paint the carpet camo.

4. Cut the bottom horizontal strand off the cattle panel creating “spikes” to stick into the ground.

5. Lay the carpet on the ground with the black backing facing up.

6. Connect the cattle panels together by bending the exposed horizontal wires around the vertical wire on the opposite panel.

7. Cut the carpet into two pieces. One at 20’ and one at 7’.

8. Lay the cattle panel down on top of the carpet leaving two feet of excess on each end to serve as a door. Stick the “spikes” at the bottom of the panel through the carpet about two inches from the bottom of the carpet. There will be extra carpet at the top. Leave that carpet to help cover the roof. Note: by adding the carpet to the panel while it is laying on the ground the carpet will be stretched good and tight when the panel is bent into a circle.

9. Use the tie straps to attaché the carpet to the cattle panels. I used one tie strap every third square around the perimeter of the cattle panel.

10. Bend the cattle panel into a circle.

11. Stand the cattle panel up.

12. Adjust the bend so the panel makes a circle with a 2’ gap at the back.

13. Use the bottom strand of wire to create a door header and footer. I use tie straps to attach this wire to the panel.

14. Push the bottom “spikes” into the ground.

15. Use tie straps to secure the “flaps” of carpet on the end of the panels to the door header. By having a “double flap” or carpet coming from both sides it creates a nice door that does not let light in.

16. Before attaching the roof, select the locations for the shooting windows and cut the cattle panel for those. I use a window that is one square wide and two squares tall which is about 8” wide and 12” tall. (By cutting the windows before the roof is on it allows you to sit in the blind and look over the top of the panel to select the best locations for the windows.

17. Cut the carpet out for the windows and tie strap around the perimeter of the window. I cut the top and both sides and then fold the flap of carpet down and tuck into the panel. This allows for the window to be re-closed at a later date if need be.

18. Cut some of the top vertical piece to create a few “spikes” to slide the CPVC over.

19. Cut the CPVC and place it over the vertical pieces to create a domed roof. I have found that 3 pieces of CPVC make a nice solid roof. I found that cutting the CPCV to about 8’-2” creates approximately a 6’ tall blind in the center.

20. Use tie straps to tie the CPVC together at the intersection at the top of the blind. This adds strength to the roof section.

21. Attach the carpet for the roof using tie straps. The carpet will sag some but I found that adding more tie straps to bunch up the extra carpet along with some of the solid core insulated wire stretched around the CPVC creates a solid roof.

22. Brush the blind in.

hey thanks, I was just fixin to send you a PM to send me your directions!!lol You saved me some typing!!

Comment

Awesome DH30 got any pics!!!!

Comment

I could follow the instructions very easily, except for steps 18-21. I'm a visual person, so I'm having trouble visualizing how you attach the CPVC to the spikes and how the solid core insulated wire streached around the CPVC makes a solid roof.

Wasn't there another thread recently that showed some of that?

Thanks for the instructions. I was thinking of building one of plywood and 2 x's, but this looks much easier.

Comment

What is the approx. cost of material for this project? I follow most of it but a pic is worth a thousand words for sure.

Comment

Have you ever had any prolblems with wasps, stinging scorpions, or spiders getting into the stand while you were gone, Just to sting you when you return??

Comment

I'll try to dig up some pics tonight if I can find them. I'm not sure I can find them, but I'll see what I can do.

Dusty Britches,
              Basically by bowing the CPVC and sticking it onto the spikes created by cutting the top of several vertical pieces it is connected. The tension created by the bowed CPVC keeps them on the panel. As far as using the solid core wire to strengthen the top......it's just a matter of connecting everything together.

Flint Knapper,
              These blinds obviously make very good homes for spiders. I have spiders in mine almost every trip. When I hunted San Angelo during bow season the granddaddy-long-legs loved them. I would have hundreds or maybe even thousands of those spiders in the blind when I got there in the morning. As the sun rose they would all migrate out and then they would migrate back in during the evening.

Comment

Here are the pictures that I have been able to find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICAM0015.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	23818350

Name:	Hunter's 2nd hog 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	24719063

Name:	Hunter's 2nd hog 011.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	24719064

Name:	emu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	24719065

Comment

Thanks, DH. Do you think it will survive a thrashing by mad heifers?

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Dusty Britches,
                        I would guess that some heifers could do some serious damage if they so chose. I can gurantee you that if you clip one with a brush hog, they do not fair very well! LOL

Comment

DH30,

I made one of these last year and the most challenging part was getting carpet on the roof. Something about making a square go onto something round. I just wasn't getting it. I managed but I'm sure there is a better way. Any tips?

Comment

We built some this year with concrete wire. Cut 21' section, make a circle and overlap the ends 3 squares. Made 3 roof bows out of 3/8" rebar, I think but not positive 10'long. Wrap with tap paper and do the roof with tar paper. Cut entry and shooting ports anywhere you want them.

Comment

Do you have any pic of the finished ground blind set up?

Comment

Working...
                              X