Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
txhunter33
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings
Default Cured Hog Ham

I wanted to share a recipe with everybody that converted 3 women into eating wild hog.
Start with a whole ham
In a large plastic tub mix 2 teaspoons per ten pounds Curing Salt (Pink Salt)
3/4 cups Kosher Salt, and 1 cup of brown sugar. Fill tub with about 2 liters of water (enough to cover ham) add the whole ham and let sit. It will take the cure about 2 lbs per day to work so a 10 pound ham will take 5 days.

After the curing is complete take out the ham and rinse with cold water and pat dry. Rub with your favorite rub and smoke or bake the ham until the temperature at the bone is 165 deg.

Save the bones to boil in water and you can make yourself some homemade pork stock.
txhunter33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
mkguthrie
Six Point

I tried some of this hog last weekend and it was like buying a store bought ham. Really good stuff!
mkguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
mharris1
Ten Point

Hunt In: leaseless and looking

will have to try this one.
mharris1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal & Dimmit County

dang....gotta try this. had the meat market cure a ham for me on the last one I took in.
BuckySWT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
TD2000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montaque County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter33 View Post
I wanted to share a recipe with everybody that converted 3 women into eating wild hog.
Start with a whole ham
In a large plastic tub mix 2 teaspoons per ten pounds Curing Salt (Pink Salt)
3/4 cups Kosher Salt, and 1 cup of brown sugar. Fill tub with about 2 liters of water (enough to cover ham) add the whole ham and let sit. It will take the cure about 2 lbs per day to work so a 10 pound ham will take 5 days.

After the curing is complete take out the ham and rinse with cold water and pat dry. Rub with your favorite rub and smoke or bake the ham until the temperature at the bone is 165 deg.

Save the bones to boil in water and you can make yourself some homemade pork stock.
Do you put in 3/4 cup Kosher and 1 cup B Sugar for each 10 lbs or is that in total for the mix?

Can't wait to give it a try
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
txhunter33
Four Point

The seasoning is per 10 lbs. I'm going to smoke another one today.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Where does it sit for the time it takes to cure? Do you put it in the fridge or leave it out?
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

I know that ^^^^^^^ might seem like a dumb question, common sense tells me it should be refrigerated but I have a vision in my head of hams hanging up out side to cure.
So I wondered if a wet cure could be left out too.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
bulldurham
Four Point

Hunt In: public land for now

refrigerate, monitor water temp, keep between 39 and 45 degrees cure stops working at 38 degrees.... so i'm told
bulldurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Hopper
Four Point

Hunt In: TX to AZ

Cant wait to try this out! if its awesome, i'm making it for Christmas dinner every year! lol
Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Biggun
Eight Point

what happens if u use a deer ham?
what will it taste like?
Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

I'm going to add mine here so it's all on one thread.

Have friend shoot the hog when it was where he was hunting with a rifle below me on the mountain

Butcher in the shade. The rear quarter is on the aluminum pan from a wholesale restaurant supply store. 2 pans, an old cutting board, sharp knives, big zip lock bags and my Dodge RAM and I have a portable butcher shop. I pack all the butchering gear plus gambrel in the white cooler to transport. A hack saw with coarse teeth cuts bone great. I use 409 Kitchen Disinfectant to keep everything clean and sanitary in the field.

I put both rear quarters in a smaller cooler, added water to cover, 1/3 box Kosher salt, 1/2 a bag of brown sugar, onion powder and Kelly's HawgRub. Then I poured a big bag of ice to keep cold, and let it sit for about 24 hours.

Removed leg, and used a sharp knife to remove fat and the white membrane on the meat. All of it has to go. It's easier when the meat is cold, it peels off with help of the butcher knife.
I

Then I cut it with butcher knife, and used hacksaw to trim the meat to this shape. I dried well using paper towels, and then put HawgRub all over it.

I have a propane smoker with a pan on the bottom to put water in to keep the meat moist.

I soaked a couple handfuls of mesquite chips in a bowl of brine id had the meat in. I put the meat in the smoker, the chips on the bottom and tried to keep the heat down to 210-220, which several times it got too hot so I turned off the gas and let it cool to get to 210. Once set right I did a second dose of mesquite smoke, then 6 1/2 hours in the smoker. The hams came out like this.

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
dirtmanz
Nubbin' Buck

Man those look awesome!!!! do you ever wrap them or leave them open the whole time?
dirtmanz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
dirtmanz
Nubbin' Buck

While you smoke them.
dirtmanz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

I did not wrap them. Next time I may try one wrapped in foil after the smoke.is done.
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
txhunter33
Four Point

Cool, thanks for adding and sharing
Old 09-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
honky lips
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: petting zoos

curing hog hams is the way to go. im doing a couple different kinds for thqanksgiving this year.
honky lips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
G ranch
Spike

Sounds great gonna try it
G ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #19
ChickenWilly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

Been wanting to cure our own hams for a little while thanks for sharing! Look forward to giving this a try!
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
mattintexas40k
Four Point

Hunt In: East TX

Thanks looks great- Thanks!
mattintexas40k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #21
wld
Four Point

Hunt In: Leakey, Texas

txhunter33, do you think this would work in a ice chest( 5 day cold) just add a little ice as needed?
wld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
jmoore2006
Eight Point

Hunt In: tennessee, ohio, colorado, mississippi, west texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wld View Post
txhunter33, do you think this would work in a ice chest( 5 day cold) just add a little ice as needed?

thats how i do mine. i used his portions as stated above and put them in a cooler and left them in my truck. so the hams rode around in my igloo cooler sloshing around with ice for about 6 days. came out great.
jmoore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Sounds good
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #24
Driller
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Columbus, Tx

I will definitely try smoking some hams.

Do you think that adding some brown sugar glaze to it when it is almost done would effect the curing process?
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #25
Charlie6Delta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind my house

WOW, thanks for the information. I will have to try this, my wife hates wild boar. If I can get her to eat it it would be great. I tell her all the time, YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY ENOUGH!
Charlie6Delta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #26
txhunter33
Four Point

Driller I would add the glaze when it is smoking, but wait until the outside of the ham is cooked to avoid contamination of the glaze.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #27
wld
Four Point

Hunt In: Leakey, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore2006 View Post
thats how i do mine. i used his portions as stated above and put them in a cooler and left them in my truck. so the hams rode around in my igloo cooler sloshing around with ice for about 6 days. came out great.
Thanks jmoore. I do my hogs and deer the same way,5 or 6 days in a ice chest with plenty of ice then take them to the proceser. was thinking I could do the same with the cure.
wld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #28
Driller
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Columbus, Tx

Alright I will try it thanks.
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
wyliescrib
Ten Point

Hunt In: medina, uvalde, edwards counties

When you add more ice do you add more salt, sugar and such... or just keep adding ice diluting the mixture?
wyliescrib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #30
Coastal Ducks
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

After reading up on dry and wet cures I gave it a go too. I shot a decent sized sow and kept the hind quarters and backstraps for curing. I used pickling salt, pink cure and brown sugar to make my brine. I put the hams and backstraps in a clean and sanitized 5 gallon bucket and poured the liquid cure over them until totally submerged. That went into my beer fridge with the lid on the bucket for 21 days. I kept a close eye on it for any foam, bubbles or scum on top of the brine. Never had any. After 21 days I rinsed the meat off with cold water and let stand in cold fresh water for an hour or so, drained and repeated. Then I let them rest for another day to equalize. Put that on the pit and smoked with oak and mesquite at 125 degrees for 5 hours. Then I popped it in the oven in foil pans, covered, until done. Let them rest and sliced after they cooled.

It came out very good overall. I did not inject any cure and that is the one thing I will do differently next time. Injecting the hams would have probably got me a more even cure. After cooking the hams were pink all the way through but there were some layers that were pinker than others. They were very moist.

The backstraps were the best part. They came out much like canadian bacon. Very ham-y and smokey. I will do more of those. You can cure a couple of pig backstraps in a tupperware container. It wouldn't take much cure or much room.

For my cure I used 3 gallons of water, 1# of pickling salt, 2 ozs of cure and 3/4# of brown sugar. Now don't take this as a hard and fast recipe. If you do a search on curing hams you can find as many different recipes for wet cures as there are people curing them. The quantities ranged widely for each ingredient. I am not saying the recipe I used is the best. This was my first try at it.

What I will say about my cure is that (other than no one got sick eating them) the hams were 100% cured ham. They turned pink and tasted like ham. They were salty with a little sweet. The cure worked. Now, the hams were about 3 different shades of pink which means the cure didn't penetrate evenly all the way through. I think injecting cure into the meat would have evened that out a bunch.

Next time I will inject and I will go easier on the smoke. I got them way too smokey. I think a very light amount of smoke would have been better. I'll either try some different wood or shorten the amount of time or both. It was a bit too much smoke and it took away from the ham taste some.

This was a fun experiment and it turned out really good. If you have not done this before read up on it and give it a go. It really isn't difficult.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top