Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
cehorn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX
Default Field Dressing Table??

I usually field dress my deer on the ground and with a winch at camp, but after having 6 hogs to do last weekend (by myself) I'm looking for an easier way. Last year a buddy of mine hunted at his bosses ranch. He said they had a "table" they used. According to his description it was V or trough shaped so the deer would lay in there on its back and not try to roll. The table legs also extended up past the "table top" so you could tie the animals legs off and the animal would be spread eagle and easy to get to. Anybody ever seen anything like this or better yet know where to find one? If you have pictures of one, I would like to see them also. I'm thinking if I had a table like this plus my winch set up the animals would almost gut themselves. What say you TBH?

Last edited by cehorn; 09-23-2010 at 08:35 AM..
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Devin
Administrator

They had something similar at the Stasney's Cook ranch we hunted a few times.

Name:  100_1450 (Custom).jpg
Views: 950
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  100_1449 (Custom).jpg
Views: 944
Size:  114.9 KB

I can't imagine it being much easier than having one winched vertical, on a gambrel, stabilized from swinging..... but, maybe I'm wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Burnadell
Pope & Young

There have been some posted in the DYI section in the past. Try a search there.

Edit: Dervin is Johnny on the spot!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Carthage

Is it easier to do it this way or just hang them up by their feet? I have never skinned anything on the ground before. Just curious!
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

I have one like the picture, but we tilted it down and put Two 24inch rebar rods on the edge to attach the legs to in order to keep the cavity open and the animal on the table. It makes things very easy.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

I would think doing it in the air would be easier so the guts just fall vs you having to kind of shovel them over and onto the ground? Unless you do like Snipehunter and elevate it...that sounds like a darn good idea?
outdoordaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathunk View Post
I would think doing it in the air would be easier so the guts just fall vs you having to kind of shovel them over and onto the ground? Unless you do like Snipehunter and elevate it...that sounds like a darn good idea?
I will post a pic of it when I get home this evening.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipehunter View Post
I will post a pic of it when I get home this evening.
And then you will use those to look at while building me one...and then deliver it too? SWEET! Thanks man!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathunk View Post
And then you will use those to look at while building me one...and then deliver it too? SWEET! Thanks man!
I would not mind that at all if you provide the material
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

i've seen some with places to hook the legs in too..looks pretty good
keatonskidmore is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Bodey
Ten Point

Hunt In: TomGreen & Sterling Co's.

The one I saw and intend to build one just like it, was about 2' x 5' and and had a good slope on it so the "innards" would roll out front to back. The upper end of the table had a vee shaped slot in it to hold the neck of about any sized animal and gravity help him upside down and in the proper position for dressing. The table top also had a valley in the middle running lengthwise so all fluids and solids would run to center and down to the lower end and fall into the gut bucket. Really neat item and very user friendly.
Bodey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason/kingsville

I want to see this.. I have used a similar version except it was made of wood and was designed like an X. The body would fit in the upper portion of the X shaped cradle..
rubydog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
junior
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

Snipehunter has it right. Put some metal running up the front and back ends, with a small chain on each piece. Wrap the chain around the legs and hook onto the metal bracket. This holds the legs apart so you can work. Make it high enough so you dont have to bend over. Also get a gut bucket, and just drag the guts into the bucket. Very easy and clean. I find when gutting them hanging on the rack the guts always get in my way. Also having them with the rear at a lower angle makes it simple to hose out the insides and drain the water out easily.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #14
cehorn
Eight Point

Devin that is exactly what I'm talking about or looking for. And for clarification I'm looking at using both the table and the winch. I'm thinking I throw the animal on the table, tie the feet off and open it up from throat to tail and make sure everything is ready to come out. Then I'll winch it up and drop the guts into a bucket and skin it.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

a

Last edited by Codie; 09-23-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post

Attachment 190772

Attachment 190773

I can't imagine it being much easier than having one winched vertical, on a gambrel, stabilized from swinging..... but, maybe I'm wrong.

GO JOHNNY GO! I have a freind who has one identical to this, except his is built to fit into a receiver hitch, so you can field dress them in the field by yourself
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #17
cehorn
Eight Point

Quote:
I would not mind that at all if you provide the material
How much do you think it would cost to build one? I'd be willing to pay for it if you would be willing to build it. Or I could probably trade some dove hunts in Pflugerville if you would be willing to do that.

Quote:
Snipehunter has it right. Put some metal running up the front and back ends, with a small chain on each piece. Wrap the chain around the legs and hook onto the metal bracket.
This is what I was thinking and to me would be a lot easier than rope or something like that. The only other modification(s) i can think of would be to add some sqare metal plates to set your knives and or beers on. Something like that would be perfect.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
junior
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

The one i've seen was made out of wood. Mainly 2x4's. Might look into that, could propably save alot of cash!
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
TexasCanesFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:

Attachment 190772

Attachment 190773

Nothing worse than seeing an animal gutted in camp.

Thank goodness our ranch has a rule against it.

Just have never understood the reason not to field dress and get the guts out prior to bringing it to camp.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

We use one very similar to the one in the pic., but only use it for skinning. It is quicker b/c you can put people on each leg and have it skinned in no time. We then put a rope around the neck and quarter it. We rarely ever gut a deer so that is not a problem. By skinning it on the rack then hanging it to quarter it you can have a deer done in about 15 minutes.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #21
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Default Here are the pics thanks to the wife

Here is the one that I use!!
Name:  P1030550.JPG
Views: 828
Size:  208.0 KB

Name:  P1030551.JPG
Views: 922
Size:  222.4 KB
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
cehorn
Eight Point

Quote:

Just have never understood the reason not to field dress and get the guts out prior to bringing it to camp.
You serious? Do you hunt with a bunch of PETA folks? Gutting a deer in camp is a thousand times easier with the proper equipment. I very rarely even take a knife to the stand. I keep all of my gutting and skinning essentials at camp. We dump the guts in a bucket (actually an old feed barrel) and then haul them away from camp. Why make things harder on yourself if you don't have to?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #23
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post

What, Your lease has a rule against gutting a deer in camp?
I have never seen a person in my 22 years of hunting gut a deer or animal in the woods. Why would you want to get full of blood and have that all over the bed of your truck or 4 wheeler when you can pull up to the skinning shed and have a nice sink to clean up in while you gut?

And whats with the mad faces, it really makes you mad to see a deer gutted in camp? Exactly how many camps have you been to where this was not allowed?

Last edited by RaginCagin; 09-23-2010 at 09:31 AM..
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
rocoso
Eight Point

http://www.outbackfeeders.com/ezcleancart.htm
rocoso is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #25
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post

Why in the world would you have a rule against or have something against gutting an animal in camp? The guts go into the gut bucket and then they go to the gut pile. I have a LOT of good memories standing around an animal hanging in camp while gutting it.

I have heard of people not allowing animals to be gutted in the field, but I can't say that I have ever heard of a rule where you can't gut in camp.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #26
cehorn
Eight Point

Snipehunter, that would definitely work except I think I would want it a little longer and don't think I would need the angle since I have the winch. Of course I'm also looking at the one in Devin's pictures and thinking how cool that would be with a telescopping leg on one end to go from level to angled.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #27
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Pushmataha, Dickens

I agree with TCF on this one. It takes maybe 15 minutes to gut a deer in the field. I have a buddy that can do it in 5 but I guess I'm just slow. I haven't gutted a deer in camp in years. Why would you want to haul the deer & guts back to camp, hang the deer, gut the deer, load up gut bucket in something, then go dump guts somewhere. That has to take more than 15 minutes.

A buck you want to have mounted is a totally different deal.

Last edited by BrianL; 09-23-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Used wrong quote
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
Snipehunter, that would definitely work except I think I would want it a little longer and don't think I would need the angle since I have the winch. Of course I'm also looking at the one in Devin's pictures and thinking how cool that would be with a telescopping leg on one end to go from level to angled.
Mine has a pin in it so that it will swivel if you need it to. You can also adjust the angle by about 5 inches starting from a flat surface. My dog likes to lick the deer tounge while I work to, so the head hanging does not bother me. My wife always gets the dog kisses afterwards though and she hates it
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
lovetohunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

That looks good Devin, and it also gives me some ideas.

I like to field dress an animal in the field. But we also like to bring in our deer to get an on the hoof weight.
lovetohunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Pushmataha, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
So how do you keep the deer clean on the inside when loading it and getting it back to camp? How do you clean up and keep your truck from getting dirty/bloody on the inside? Don't you get blood, etc on your hunting clothes and boots? What do you do in the dark (there is light at camp)? It doesn't really take any more time to do it at camp plus you can change clothers and start your fire before you gut your animal and then when you are done your fire is ready to throw the steaks on.
I shoot 99% of my doe on morning hunts, so I have daylight track if needed and get quartered and in the cooler. Just the way I have always done it. I might get a little blood on a pant leg, but I'm not covered up in blood. I do use those long gloves. I carry a pair of those and a pair of regular rubber gloves all the time. I will get more blood on me when it is hanging and I'm quartering for the cooler than gutting. There will be some blood in the back of the ATV(mini truck) but not much more, if any, than there would be from draining out the wound.

Last edited by BrianL; 09-23-2010 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Because it's harder to use rudder than rubber gloves
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #31
Devin
Administrator

Seriously?

Remember, you might be wound just a little bit tight if you get into a heated debate over animal gutting locations.

Come on, people!

(15+ posts have been deleted for those in the peanut gallery)

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #32
outdoordaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Seriously?

Remember, you might be wound just a little bit tight if you get into a heated debate over animal gutting locations.

Come on, people!

my bad, sorry for kidding around with people I don't know. I need to think before I type and just repeat to myself "you are always right, you don't have to type it out for others to see"
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
billfromtx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Seriously?

Come on, people!

Thanks for the info... from the peanut gallery!
billfromtx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #34
OldRiverRat
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

i built one last season, i'd seen them used in south tx on some hunts. I found that i'm faster with the animal hanging. However some of that is due to the fact that I have mastered the technique of skinning one while laying in the trough. I'm gonna try it some more this season but i've seen guys that can really knock em out fast while laying in the trough. check this guy out 8 minutes!
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #35
cehorn
Eight Point

Quote:
Seriously?

Come on, people!
Thanks for getting this back on track Devin.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #36
Bodey
Ten Point

Hunt In: TomGreen & Sterling Co's.

That one pictured for "Outback Feeders" was the one I saw and will build one like it. It looks like the "cat's meow". When I rifle hunted, I always gutted in field, but have become much more **** since bowhunting. We always bring deer to camp to dress. I guess I don't like the smell of dead animals all over the pasture and near my blinds and feeding areas. It also attracts a lot of predators to the area, which might make my deer nervous.
Bodey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #37
cehorn
Eight Point

River Rat, that is exactly the way I'm thinking about doing it. I don't know if I would be that fast, but I can't see it getting any easier than that.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #38
OldRiverRat
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

i built mine out of scrap wood laying around the barn so cost should be minimal. We are headed up this wknd to try and wack some pigs so I gotta think having one guy on the trough and one guy on the hanger should make things run pretty quick.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #39
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

At the risk of being a smart alec-in regards to the video I have had one completely quartered and in the cooler in 8minutes-with witnesses. My grandfather could do it much faster. He had a lot of practice back in the day doing it to beat the gamewarden. I don't really see the point of the table, but it might be easier. If you are going to have to hang it up anyway, why not just hang it up from the get go and you don't have to bend over to work on the animal?
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top