Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Installed cost of 5 strand fencing

Anybody have any 5 strand barbed wire fencing installed lately?

I have 2 runs, one is approx 900' and one is approximately 650'.

I have no idea how many H posts to figure and how much do corner posts with kickers usually run?

Putting together house building budgets.

Also, anyone have a ballpark figure for a 12' wide swing gate with a powered operator run? Just a standard iron gate with an arch across the top with the ranch name/logo.

And finally what about pipe fencing? I would need about 200' across the front of the property.

Thanks for any input.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
MarlinMears
Ten Point
 
MarlinMears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: Parker Co. TX/Buffalo KS.
Default

Mike I am building some barb wire fence right now with H-post in the center and corner post. This one came out to be about $4 per lineal foot, plus extra H and corners(this one has an entryway) and extra rock charge per hole that hit rock. Started off at about $6k for 1500lf but will be closer to $7500 with all the extras. It's a rocky sob!

Not sure about pipe or the gate, but depending on what part of the country it is in, I can hook you up with the right folks. Poolville? Seems I read it but cant remember.
Jason
MarlinMears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
mjames76
Eight Point
 
mjames76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Royse City
Hunt In: Hardeman, Marion, Collin
Default

PM sent
mjames76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
fritztown
Ten Point
 
fritztown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: austin, tx (gillespie, frio, edwards cos.)
Default

I believe we had 1/3 mile installed for $4,000 several years ago...
fritztown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
WS_AG
Four Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin/Austin Co.
Default

Just had a new fence built last week. We supplied all materials and cost was $1 per foot for labor and $10 dollars per corner. We built about 3500 feet and it ran about $2 per foot total. We used all wood posts 10 feet apart and put in double H braces, they were 6 feet apart.
WS_AG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

We just had 1000 foot of 4' 4x4 wire,barb wire top and bottom,3 gates,4 corners, 4 h brackets for 4 bucks a foot.
Barbed wire should run around 3 tops. More if you are in rock. I am in solid black dirt. I think pipe rail runs about 10 a foot. Most people I talked to wanted 150-200 per corner and 100 for h brace. I did all the leg work on our fence. I bought everything and then just hired a guy to do the work. Saved me 2200.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Extremebowman
Ten Point
 
Extremebowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Weatherford, TEXAS
Hunt In: Stephens County
Default

MIke,

Material for your fence will be easy to determine, but labor will depend heavily on your location. Soil, rock etc. I have a guy who does great fence work and works primarily in our area. Let me know if you want his info. I wouldn't trust a bid unless you have net the trade on site and walked the job.

If you are going to pull any trailers thru your gate and the road is not perfectly straight, I would go wider than 12'. Mine is 16' and I wouldn't want it any smaller. I'm sure you could find a custom gate cheaper, but my experience with good solid gates, installed with operater run from $5K to $6K. If yournot in a big hurry, I could build ya one, I do them on the side as a hobby. Let me see if I have a pic of mine ...

Name:  New 3-09 531 (Medium).jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  73.6 KB

I did this one last summer, once again for fun ...

Name:  Spencer 4-30-09 410 (Medium).jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  66.6 KB

How quick are you wanting to get all of this done? I could take a look at it with you if you like.
Extremebowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
"DOC"
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Parker County
Default

As said above I would NOT go any smaller than 16' on the gate. If you are on a traveled road I would also set the gate itself back far enough to pull a truck and trailer into the drive and be completely off the road. My gate is set 50' back from the pavement I also have 6' on either side of the gate before the wings head back to the road. The road end of the wings is also
50' wide. Makes it easy in and easy out.
"DOC" is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinMears View Post
Mike I am building some barb wire fence right now with H-post in the center and corner post. This one came out to be about $4 per lineal foot, plus extra H and corners(this one has an entryway) and extra rock charge per hole that hit rock. Started off at about $6k for 1500lf but will be closer to $7500 with all the extras. It's a rocky sob!

Not sure about pipe or the gate, but depending on what part of the country it is in, I can hook you up with the right folks. Poolville? Seems I read it but cant remember.
Jason
Yeah Poolville, it is. We appear to have good dirt up there.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremebowman View Post
MIke,

Material for your fence will be easy to determine, but labor will depend heavily on your location. Soil, rock etc. I have a guy who does great fence work and works primarily in our area. Let me know if you want his info. I wouldn't trust a bid unless you have net the trade on site and walked the job.

If you are going to pull any trailers thru your gate and the road is not perfectly straight, I would go wider than 12'. Mine is 16' and I wouldn't want it any smaller. I'm sure you could find a custom gate cheaper, but my experience with good solid gates, installed with operater run from $5K to $6K. If yournot in a big hurry, I could build ya one, I do them on the side as a hobby. Let me see if I have a pic of mine ...

Attachment 163409

I did this one last summer, once again for fun ...

Attachment 163410

How quick are you wanting to get all of this done? I could take a look at it with you if you like.
Those gates look great! I threw in $5k for a budget number for the gate so I was at least in the ball park with my guess. As to time frame, probably still a year out for fence and gate.

If the offer is still good when I'm ready, I'll definitely take you up on your offer to build one. Heck I'll even bring the refreshments and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "DOC" View Post
As said above I would NOT go any smaller than 16' on the gate. If you are on a traveled road I would also set the gate itself back far enough to pull a truck and trailer into the drive and be completely off the road. My gate is set 50' back from the pavement I also have 6' on either side of the gate before the wings head back to the road. The road end of the wings is also
50' wide. Makes it easy in and easy out.
This will be near the end of a dead end street (cul-de-sac) but I still plan to make it deep enough for truck and trailer to be out of the road. Will keep in mind the 16' gate.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young
 
cj7zrcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: Kimble Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
If the offer is still good when I'm ready, I'll definitely take you up on your offer to build one. Heck I'll even bring the refreshments and help.
Price goes up if you help, Mike.

My dad had about 1500' of 5-strand ran last year on his place in Springtown. Can't remember the $/lft., but I can give you the fence builder's name & number. Local guy, does a good job. Tell him you heard about him through J.D. Jones on Holbrook Rd.

Sam Diaz
(817)220-3716 home
(817)694-1921 mobile
cj7zrcool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
MarlinMears
Ten Point
 
MarlinMears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: Parker Co. TX/Buffalo KS.
Default

And I second Sam. I wish my uncle woulda hired him instead of me...
MarlinMears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young
 
cj7zrcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: Kimble Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinMears View Post
And I second Sam. I wish my uncle woulda hired him instead of me...
Come see me next time you are at the Building Center. I saw your name on an order, or quote, or something the other day. I'm usually in the Idea Center on the east end of the parking lot.
cj7zrcool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Bullydog
Pope & Young
 
Bullydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tom Bean
Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton
Default

Mike I just finished 29 acres of 5 strand.

Heres what I have in it.

4 Corners / 10 H's / T-posts and Wire / 2 12 foot gates / 1 16 foot entrance gate. Materials including 2.3/8 pipe with caps....$6,100

Labor- FREE ( I did it on nights and weekends and hope to never never ever do it again)

We had 2 quotes prior to us doing it. Full quotes for labor/materials.

1st quote $12,800
2nd quote $13,500
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Gillipsie County., Kansas & La.
Default

Anybody in East Texas area......Smith County???
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com