Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default How do you rig your bowfishing arrow?

I just about killed myself when trying to bowfish last weekend. I had bought a simple bowfishing kit (see pic) a couple years ago and never really used it until last weekend. It is the grey colored self-wind reel and a fiberglass arrow.

I rigged the string at the back of the arrow where the hole was and was extremely cautious when readying to shoot. A couple times the sting somehow snagged on something....not sure what...and slingshotted back hitting me a couple times and once enough to break the skin.

Anyone have this similar reel and some recommendations on rigging the string to the arrow?? Last thing I want to do is get hit in the mouth or even worse the eye.
Attached Images

J.B. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Use the safety slides on your bowfishing arrows. It keeps the string out front and away from the bow string and cables(on a compound). I am not a fan of the hand reels but they work.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Ol Thumper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Texas

Safety slides for sure!! I use spin reels for everything but big gar and then I use ams sloted retrievers.
Ol Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Rebel_
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Safety slides system! You're gonna end up hurtin yourself! I only use AMS retriever pro's or big game
Rebel_ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I have never used safety slides and use spincast reels. I also have never had an arrow pop back at me, I always keep my string reeled up tight so when I go to draw if somehow the button isn't pushed the arrow will just come un nocked and keep the drag backed way off so it will still shoot even if the button isn't pushed in
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
I have never used safety slides and use spincast reels. I also have never had an arrow pop back at me, I always keep my string reeled up tight so when I go to draw if somehow the button isn't pushed the arrow will just come un nocked and keep the drag backed way off so it will still shoot even if the button isn't pushed in
I have done the same just always reel up the slack
Muzzy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over All The Time

I posted a pic of how I made my own saftey slides because you will not enjoy buying them they are high, I belive it is on a thread called crossbow finished and its near the bottom.
Muzzy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

I use a zebco 888 and never had a problem with the arrow coming back. Even the couple of times I forgot to push the button the 200lb fast flight string snapped and the 10 dollar arrow just kept going. I mostly tie to the nock end of the arrow but I do have a few with the cable set up for hunting the big boys. Suggestion - get a real reel.
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
DeadeyeDeb
Pope & Young

Safety slides!!!!! Gotta have them!!!!!
DeadeyeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Cottonfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County, Fredericksburg, Encinal when invited..

X10,000 on the safety slides........snapbacks can, and have, killed people.

Stu
Cottonfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
aggiearcher09
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonfish View Post

Stu
They have killed people?
aggiearcher09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
jacobm24
Six Point

Hunt In: Dewitt co.

safety slides for sure
jacobm24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
okrattler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I just put the string through the hole at the back of the arrow.You just have to make sure you have plenty of slack in the string or it will bounce back sometimes.I've also accidently forgot where the string was and had my wrist through the loop where I had slack in the string and that does'nt feel too good either.I've also had times when the string snapped because I did'nt have enough slack in the string.Thats never fun when you're shootin into deeper water because those arrows sink.I might have to get some of those safety slides though that would probably be a better deal than havin to worry about the arrow coming back all the time.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

Stu
killed people? I have a hard time believing that
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Cottonfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County, Fredericksburg, Encinal when invited..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiearcher09 View Post
They have killed people?
Couple of years ago, a guy up in NE Louisiana (I think he bought Tidwell's old fan boat) was practicing from the bow of his boat as it sat on the trailer in his yard. Line was tied with a loop to the back of the arrow shaft, snapback came back into his eye and penetrated the brain cavity. DRT. It was on all the bowfishing websites at the time.

Stu
Cottonfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Couple of years ago, a guy up in NE Louisiana (I think he bought Tidwell's old fan boat) was practicing from the bow of his boat as it sat on the trailer in his yard. Line was tied with a loop to the back of the arrow shaft, snapback came back into his eye and penetrated the brain cavity. DRT. It was on all the bowfishing websites at the time.

Stu
If I would have been hit in the eye by the snap-backs I had weekend-before-last I would have lost an eye to say the lease. I bet if you got caught just right with a snap-back you're done. I'm definitly going to get those safety slides.
J.B. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
Rebel_
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I buy all my stuff from Bowfishing Extreme. If you buy an arrow from them it an extra $2.95 to get one with a safety slide system already installed on it. Doesn't seem like very much money to me. Also, unless you abuse it or use it a TON, it will last a long time.
Rebel_ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
Txnrog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real Co, Tx & Colorado

Safety slides or cable rigs (if going after big gar) are definately the ticket. When we were kids, we weren't so smart - had a couple snap backs that scared the crap out of us. Snapbacks can happen with any type of reel - it's usually not the reel that the line gets caught on - it's typically the rest or cable guard - you can eliminate that problem real quickly with a safety slide.

If you are too cheap to use a safety slide - do yourself a favor and DON'T use line over 100lb test rating. Better to loose an arrow than eye. We used 80lb dacron out of zebcos quite a bit and it would break the line on a hanger as long as we were fully drawn.
Txnrog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
ras308
Four Point

I have bowfished for over 30 years and have never used the safety slides??? The problem 99% of the time does not involve the reel. It's because you get in too big of a hurry and don't pay attention to what you are doing. Regardless of what type you are using, you have to pay very close attention to where the slack string is. It is very important to always keep it reeled up very close, if there is a problem, when you draw the arrow back, it will pull it off the string. Use the safety cables if you like, but, I bet, if you ask enough folks, you will find someone who has had an accident with those as well. Be careful, pay attention and shoot some fish!!!
ras308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
redneck-lgtx
Spike

Hunt In: anywhere i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras308 View Post
I have bowfished for over 30 years and have never used the safety slides??? The problem 99% of the time does not involve the reel. It's because you get in too big of a hurry and don't pay attention to what you are doing. Regardless of what type you are using, you have to pay very close attention to where the slack string is. It is very important to always keep it reeled up very close, if there is a problem, when you draw the arrow back, it will pull it off the string. Use the safety cables if you like, but, I bet, if you ask enough folks, you will find someone who has had an accident with those as well. Be careful, pay attention and shoot some fish!!!
I have never used slides either and will never use them. They are just another thing to break when fishing for big gar. I am also not against anyone using them, but for my own preference i belive they also create a false sence of security. I have 2 bows one is a bear whitetail with an 808 and the other is a recurve with a spool and breakaway float. The main thing is to be aware of what you are doing and always think safety first. Also it is nice to have a pair of work gloves handy when pulling on fast flight string becouse it can cut pretty good when the gar takes off ( i know this fron experience).
redneck-lgtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
medic151
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paris, Robert Lee

I didn't use to use them, now I do. I had a pretty severe snap back due to my watch catching on the line. I used cables once, but the stretched out and broke. I've pulled in some pretty big fish with the slides, but nothing over 100#s, so I don't know how they fair on the larger fish.
medic151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top