Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Cable
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default Marcus Luttrell On The Lone Star Outdoors Show

Just wanted to get some feedback from ya'll. I have been trying to track Marcus down for about 4 months now and finally got a call today that he would be willing to do an interview soley based on the fact that it would be on a hunting/fishing show.

Needless to say, I am pretty pumped about visiting with him. There a million questions to ask Marcus- from Lone Survivor to his dog being killed by those punk kids to his TV Show on the Outdoor Channel.

What would you guys like to know? I will try to ask him as many of your questions as I can.

Thanks,

Cable
Cable is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

I would like to know why he and his comrad think it is APPROPRIATE to have a show on TV when they can't get a dang sentence out of their mouths without it beeing BLEEPED out.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
rferg84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable View Post
Just wanted to get some feedback from ya'll. I have been trying to track Marcus down for about 4 months now and finally got a call today that he would be willing to do an interview soley based on the fact that it would be on a hunting/fishing show.

Needless to say, I am pretty pumped about visiting with him. There a million questions to ask Marcus- from Lone Survivor to his dog being killed by those punk kids to his TV Show on the Outdoor Channel.

What would you guys like to know? I will try to ask him as many of your questions as I can.

Thanks,

Cable
He is an amazing man, too many questions that I would ask.
rferg84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
mboltm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Being through what he has been through I think I would keep it on Hunting and fishing, But deep down my biggest one would be if he had it to do over again would he let the sheep herders go because fear of the liberal media
mboltm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Cable
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboltm View Post
Being through what he has been through I think I would keep it on Hunting and fishing, But deep down my biggest one would be if he had it to do over again would he let the sheep herders go because fear of the liberal media
Now that is a good question, I will see how the interview is going before I decide to ask that one- but I agree, I think that would be the question I would like answered the most.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble Co.

The guy has earned a pass in my book. I wouldn't press any subjects that he wasn't interested in talking about, but if he was in a talkative mood, I'd ask him everything that came to mind! I can't imagine going through some of the things that he has experienced.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
mboltm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
The guy has earned a pass in my book. I wouldn't press any subjects that he wasn't interested in talking about, but if he was in a talkative mood, I'd ask him everything that came to mind! I can't imagine going through some of the things that he has experienced.
I agree, I haven't seen many of his shows so I don't have much of an opinion on it, But I don't think I would have a problem with the way He talks after what He has been through for our country. just my .02
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Not trying to hi jack but I listen to you most weekends. Glad to see you on here.
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Epack
Ten Point

Having talked with marcus on several occasions, i will tell you he is not afraid to tell you how he feels about something. a real stand up guy in my opinion. He dosent seem to like to talk about his "lone survivor" experience which i compleatly understand. Id stick with the hunting and maybe ask him some questions about how he became a SEAL and maybe how his brother(a fellow SEAL) is doing over seas.
Epack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree, I haven't seen many of his shows so I don't have much of an opinion on it, But I don't think I would have a problem with the way He talks after what He has been through for our country. just my .02
I have a great deal of respect for what he has done for our country as well, and his willingness to let his mouth fly off the handle on his TV show does not cover or deminish his Past accomplishments as a soldier and american at all in my eyes, BUT his past accomplishments as a soldier and american don't make the foul language on their TV Show any better or more acceptable in my eyes.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epack View Post
Having talked with marcus on several occasions, i will tell you he is not afraid to tell you how he feels about something. a real stand up guy in my opinion. He dosent seem to like to talk about his "lone survivor" experience which i compleatly understand. Id stick with the hunting and maybe ask him some questions about how he became a SEAL and maybe how his brother(a fellow SEAL) is doing over seas.
This.

I've read several books on the seal training, and it never ceases to amaze me how those guys push through that training. what's going through their minds, how do they find the inner strength to complete the training.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
mboltm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
I have a great deal of respect for what he has done for our country as well, and his willingness to let his mouth fly off the handle on his TV show does not cover or deminish his Past accomplishments as a soldier and american at all in my eyes, BUT his past accomplishments as a soldier and american don't make the foul language on their TV Show any better or more acceptable in my eyes.
Codie, I was simply stating my feelings and not trying to insult yours, After rereading I should have worded my post differently. As stated I have not seen many of his shows or I may feel the same as you.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
flufster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell county

he has been a seal since he was a teenager, hard to expect him to be main stream TV

i watch the show and agree that it is a bit rough at times but kinda expected

would love to have a chance to pick his brain, good luck with the interview
flufster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Codie, I was simply stating my feelings and not trying to insult yours, After rereading I should have worded my post differently. As stated I have not seen many of his shows or I may feel the same as you.
no biggy mboltm, I did not take it as a personal attack on my view at all
Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Easyrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson, Llano,

I wonder what happened to the punks who killed his Dog Dasy ??
Are they singing the Jailhouse blues yet ?
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Nate Riley
Ten Point

Maybe you should ask a few other servicemen who served in Afghanistan and Iraq how they feel about Marcus. You might be surprised by some of the answers.
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Riley View Post
Maybe you should ask a few other servicemen who served in Afghanistan and Iraq how they feel about Marcus. You might be surprised by some of the answers.
Elaborate?
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #18
AggieBall
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa

His brother was in a helicopter crash. I do not know many of the details but not everyone on board survived. His brother is in a full body cast the last I heard. You should know this before asking him any questions about him. Good luck.
AggieBall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #19
Cable
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieBall View Post
His brother was in a helicopter crash. I do not know many of the details but not everyone on board survived. His brother is in a full body cast the last I heard. You should know this before asking him any questions about him. Good luck.
Wow. I appreciate the heads up. The Luttrell's are a true military family.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
Nate Riley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7zrcool View Post
Elaborate?
Some of them don't like him. The conversations I was privy to were a while back so I can't remember the details. But some of his motives were questionable.
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #21
Cable
Ten Point

I have also heard that they don't like him because the book made him rich and famous. I understand those sentiments- but the bottom line is he served his country as a Navy Seal and likes to kill animals. Sounds like someone I would like to share a pitcher of beer with.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

I would tend to think the man has earned the right to talk how he wants, if his show offends you dont watch it....

Cable, in the original post you had stated the condition for the interview....stick to hunting and fishing..
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Some of them don't like him. The conversations I was privy to were a while back so I can't remember the details. But some of his motives were questionable.
I can understand their questioning of his motives. I think that he did it for the glory. I often thought of going through the toughest training in the world so that 3 of my best friends could be killed in front of me in a far away land as I fought along side of them against overwhelming odds for my and their lives for a few hours and then had to live in crappy conditions while wounded and on the run in hopes that the Taliban didn't execute me so I could then write a book about it and become rich and famous.

That would be my motive for joining the SEALS.

I have no clue about him but I would bet that Marcus Luttrell might be a somewhat arrogant, cocky and cynical SOB. To some extent I don't think that you can be a Navy SEAL without that attitude whether it shows or not. That is the nature of the beast. People that aren't self assured, are afraid to make critical decisions and don't have confidence in themselves and their team probably aren't very good warriors.

God Bless Marcus Luttrell and all of the other warriors that are confident enough to go into battle for me and everyone else in this country. I could care less what their motives are for writing books after the fact.... they have earned it.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Easyrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson, Llano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
I can understand their questioning of his motives. I think that he did it for the glory. I often thought of going through the toughest training in the world so that 3 of my best friends could be killed in front of me in a far away land as I fought along side of them against overwhelming odds for my and their lives for a few hours and then had to live in crappy conditions while wounded and on the run in hopes that the Taliban didn't execute me so I could then write a book about it and become rich and famous.

I have no clue about him but I would bet that Marcus Luttrell might be a somewhat arrogant, cocky and cynical SOB. To some extent I don't think that you can be a Navy SEAL without that attitude whether it shows or not. That is the nature of the beast. People that aren't self assured, are afraid to make critical decisions and don't have confidence in themselves and their team probably aren't very good warriors.

God Bless Marcus Luttrell and all of the other warriors that are confident enough to go into battle for me and everyone else in this country. I could care less what their motives are for writing books after the fact.... they have earned it.
x100 Great Post !! I belong to several Military Forums and I have
never heard a bad word spoken about either of the Luttrell's.
Quite the contrary, only respect and honor for their
OUTSTANDING service to our Country.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
Hogdude1234
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Talk about the future, not the past!!! We've all heard the story before, and I am sure has got to be tired of telling it over and over.

Last edited by Hogdude1234; 04-21-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Hogdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #26
Codie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
I would tend to think the man has earned the right to talk how he wants, if his show offends you dont watch it....

I sure don't
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason/kingsville

Quote:
I served in Afghanistan but during the retreat of the Russian forces. That country was riddled with land mines, whipped Russians and p.o.'ed Afghani's. I personally have all the respect in the world for Marcus and all those that fell in his seal team as well as the the rest of the soldiers that died trying to rescue him and eliminate the Taliban.
If Marcus recieved fame and fortune from what he encountered so be it. I would never take anything away from Audie Murphy, Roy Benevides, Sgt York or any other hero that was made famous from acts of gallantry. That folks is what makes this nation Free and Great...
rubydog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #28
squid
Nubbin' Buck

Marcus is a true and very dedicated warrior in defending this great nation. He has my highest respect. He has earned it. As far as SEALs being cocky and arrogant, every Frog I have met and worked with are very modest and respectful. Frogs have nothing to prove. It is displayed in the golden trident. They are very professional and quite impressive in action. I have witnessed first hand. SEALs are America's finest. GO NAVY!

Chris P.
Chief Petty Officer, USN, Retired
squid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason/kingsville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
I sure don't
I am with you Codie.. I think that the language could be toned down a great deal...
rubydog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County/CATI Ranch-Gonzales County (When 308 lets me)

I think you'd get a chuckle out of him if you asked him if his mom forgave him for drinking the nasty water out of the Pepsi bottle.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #31
fshntexas
Six Point

Hunt In: Forestburg, Texas

From one vet to another I would tell him the following: Thank You!!!
fshntexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #32
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

what caliber rifle for north american hunting. and for texas deer. and if you do not use the questions, tell him i say thanks.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #33
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

I would Say From one Ranger to a SEAL Thanks Brother now let go kill something and get a beer.... We shared the same dirt.
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #34
Cable
Ten Point

A lot of great insight and I am glad to be a part of this group. I will def stick to more hunting related stuff. I will tell him thanks for his service from all of us.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #35
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

Old Marcus and his brother Morgan went to school with me.. They were both bouncers at a local bar in Huntsville.. "Jolly Fox" I'm sure you can ask this guy anything.... One question you should ask is "How many drunk college kids tested him and his brother at the bar... There are plenty of those stories , some pretty darn funny....."
Ksig512 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #36
DaveS903
Pope & Young

Hunt In: All over

Maybe ask him what he thinks of the trial currently underway charging several SEALS with punching a prisoner suspected of killing Blackwater contractors in Fallujah.
DaveS903 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #37
Phdan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post

Cable, in the original post you had stated the condition for the interview....stick to hunting and fishing..
Well said. That on/off switch is there just for you.
Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #38
KR-oldmexico
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas - Freer & Old Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Right on and well put! He's sacrificed more than any of us will ever know for our freedoms and our country as well as our rights that are under fire as we speak. We need to stand up and stand together as Americans, outdoorsman, gun owners and hunters to support those who share the love of our endangered sport! He's on our side and just like everyone of us, he is not perfect!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #39
CaptJack
Ten Point

Hunt In: public

Cable - why not email or call him and ask him what topics he'd like to discuss, before the interview. Since it will be televised you should tell him to keep his language clean so he doesn't come off sounding crude (coach him)

As far as asking him about killing the sheep herders? I'm a Nam combat grunt, I'd ask him, but if you don't have a CIB or CAR you probably shouldn't. Remember that his team was under strict operational orders and they were to abide by their prescribed ROEs. And remember that hind-sight is 20/20.

Since I never got to shoot one, I'd like to know what he thinks about his Mark-12 rifle

Does he wish he was active in the teams again? (I wish I was active in my battalion again)

Now that he's home, what is he doing with his time? Is he still helping his parents raise horses? Does he have a job?

Don't forget that he's a 6th generation Texan on his mother's side - the boy is do serious respect....

Krohn
CaptJack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #40
CaptJack
Ten Point

Hunt In: public

and if you haven't read it?

and these are the books about going through SEAL training by Capt. Couch - Luttrell is in the first book about going through BUDs
CaptJack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #41
Cable
Ten Point

Thanks, Captjack. Unfortunately, I won't have access to his email the interview will be on the radio not TV. I do think you have some good questions.

I never did read Lone Survivor, but I DID listen to it an audio tape
Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #42
BIG IRON
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan sandlin View Post
what caliber rifle for north american hunting. and for texas deer. and if you do not use the questions, tell him i say thanks.
I think he uses the biggest gun he can find.
BIG IRON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #43
Big Brass
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJack View Post
and if you haven't read it?

and these are the books about going through SEAL training by Capt. Couch - Luttrell is in the first book about going through BUDs
Great books! I've read Lone Survivor 3 times and Captain Couch's series twice.
Big Brass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #44
krisw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Ive read Lone Survivor several times. I actually finished it again just a couple of weeks ago. I first heard of it after his dog was killed and decided to read it. I would like to talk to him too. Tell him thanks.
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #45
Joey~AP
Administrator

Codeman is readin it now. I will re-read it when he is done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top