Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
BoneDigger
Pope & Young

Default Best UTV?

Which of the UTVs is considered the best for hunting purposes, including lots of mud?

Ranger

Rhino

Mule

etc.

Todd
BoneDigger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
canny
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Ranger hands down. Mule is good if your roads are in good condition, other than that it will beat you to death. The Rhino IMO is way too loud.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio

ranger......
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County / Brady, TX

Love my Ranger.....
DamonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Green Arrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton and Willimson

The rhino is smoother riding then the ranger IMO,but the ranger is a beast when it comes to working.
If i had to choose(and had the money) i would buy a ranger but the rhino would be a close second.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Flash
Eight Point

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Mike
Ten Point

All about needs.

A Ranger is a great asset, it will haul a lot of gear but is rougher than a Rhino. It is also much larger and if you are in the woods or used to running an ATV down your trails, you will have to make some wider trails.

Regarding mud, I would go with the Rhino as the Ranger is a heavy beast and the Rhino is nimble.

I have a Rhino and love it but I am in the woods a lot with smaller trails & tighter turns. Hands down there is far more gear/mods/lifts/accessories for the Rhino. You can tailor the Rhino to your specific needs.

Now, if you are looking for 4 seats, you are limited to the Ranger and that unit is huge. I have seen the Rzr 4 seater and it is very sweet but it is more of a recreation UTV than a working UTV as there is not really any cargo space at all.

I have left the Mule out all together, I have a buddy with one and it is slow, heavy and gets stuck a lot even with mud grips and a 2" lift.

Price wise, shop around, I wanted the Ranger Crew but no dealing on the price when I was buying in December 2008. I got a great deal on a Rhino and I love it. It is not for everyone but I do not need to load 1,000# of corn and run the roads filling feeders so I don't need a Ranger either.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Ranger
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
dcrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kalamazoo

Ranger...
dcrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
shinerbock
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall & Terrell co

I only have expieriance with a Ranger and a Mule. Mule is tough, but would be my second choice. Ranger for me
shinerbock is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
lungbuster1985
Eight Point

Check out the Kubota. My uncle has one and we've put it through heck. Its been through all kinds of mud and trails, he has the diesel one and it has power to spare lots of torque. They even make ones with a full cab with a/c and heater if thats your kinda thing. We have mules at the deer lease and i can say that i have personally driven a two wheel drive mule with a high seat rack in the back loaded with five adults through fender deep mud with no problems. Its not the worst mud ive been through but i was impressed that we didnt get stuck. The rhino is the fastest "big UTV", accept for the new arctic cat which ive heard goes like 75 mph or something crazy like that. Also the Rhino only has bucket seats in front which rules out riding three deep without extra seats in the bed eating up cargo space. Everyone that has a Ranger likes it so it has to be pretty good but i have no experiences with that one. Just my $.02
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
DorothyNotKeegan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Anything made by Bad Boy
DorothyNotKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My buddies all run Rangers and from my experience with them I'd say they would be hard to beat. We did not have a good experience with our outfitters Kubota in the New Mexico mountains... Where we put it and where it failed, the rangers would have eaten its lunch. Personally if I could afford it and was in the UTV market, I'd take a hard look at the Honda. I think they call it Big Red (but you can get it in green and camo too, I think). That will probably be my next offroad vehicle. They are quieter, and.... ITS A HONDA....
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
T6driver44
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath Co., Eastland Co.

I've been debating the same thing my self. Going to buy either a Ranger Crew or Mule 4010. I know a guy who owned a cycle shop for years and he said a Mule if 10X more reliable than the others as fas as breaking down/dependability. So lately I've been leaning towards Mule 4010, but after reading this thread I may be taking another look at the Ranger Crew before I buy.
T6driver44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
JMG
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S. Texas

I have had a Rhino and currently a Mule. The Rhino was fun but not really a workin vehicle. Speed was not an issue with my decission for the Mule. I have put it thru all sorts of stuff and it keeps on going. Rarely do I put it in 4wheel for mud and have yet to totally lock all 4 in with the differential. It just goes and 6 people or more is not a problem. If speed is a necessity, then get a ranger but I am more than happy with my Mule.

Name:  DSCN2093.jpg
Views: 11025
Size:  167.9 KB
JMG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Carthage

85ish Jeep CJ7 from $3000-$5000. If you really want to spend the cash, the Ranger is the only way to go. I would like to have one, but the jeep gets me everywhere I want to go and I can drive it on the road.
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Tom Green

Ranger
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I have driven rangers, mules and the kubota and IMO the Ranger is by far the best one out there
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
RJK70
Ten Point

Hunt In: SW San Saba County and Burnet county (Spicewood), New Mexico

Look at the Kawasaki Teryx also. They don't do as much advertising as the Ranger does but it is a sweet machine for work as well as play. It has the 750cc v-twin from the brute force with a little more power for the extra weight. It will hit 50mph and feel stuck to the ground and could go a lot more but it is limited at that speed. Smooth riding and we tow trailers loaded with panels, feed, blinds all day and it doesnt miss a beat. That being said the Rhino and Ranger are great also. Check them all out.

Last edited by RJK70; 03-25-2010 at 04:31 PM..
RJK70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
HandiKap Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Riverside, Medina, Wimberley

X2 on the JEEP!!!!!!! And alot more easy to work on and has more room.

Last edited by HandiKap Bowhunter; 03-25-2010 at 04:30 PM..
HandiKap Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Used to be Santa Gerturdis, Laureles & Norias Divisions - King Ranch

Ranger 6x6... All it needs is a machine gun on top...

Opps nevermind, its prefect
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle of Texas

i sure like rangers
bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
Redneck Archer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Michigan and Kentucky

I personally wont buy a ranger because it is setup like a snowmobile. With a belt driven clutch system from what I understand. However, in all honesty I probably wouldnt buy a UTV either.

I am quite fond of my fourwheelers.
Redneck Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #24
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Ranger! I use the heck out of my 700xp when it comes to hunting and working!
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #25
Kyle Reid
Spike

Hunt In: Mills County

ranger
Kyle Reid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #26
mikem
Six Point

Hunt In: East Tx/Ohio
Default Ranger..for my lease

We have 13,000 ac on the Trinity River that stays wet from October till now. I really wanted to have a good excuse to buy a jeep, but the land owner said no jeeps..(he thinks they tear the roads up) There are ten of us and most have rangers and a few have mini trucks. I am 6' 4" so the mini truck is out of the question. I have never been in a Rhino, I just know they two seaters, I have spent plenty of time in a mule..they are slow and rough...but very reliable. The only problem I have seen on the Rangers is the belts..a few of the guys have replaced the belt more than once over several years..with that being said..we pull bass boats, trailers loaded with corn, and way to much weight most of the time.....Also you can put 20 50lb sacks of corn in the bed of a Ranger...To each his own, but so far my vote is for the Ranger...
mikem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Archer View Post
I personally wont buy a ranger because it is setup like a snowmobile. With a belt driven clutch system from what I understand. However, in all honesty I probably wouldnt buy a UTV either.

I am quite fond of my fourwheelers.
Buy a UTV and you will sell your fourwheeler. You can't beat UTV's. They are much more than just people movers, which is just about all 4 wheelers are.

Ranger gets my vote all the way.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
CAMOFRO
Four Point

Hunt In: EVERYWHERE

I love my Ranger
CAMOFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #29
Pokem&Smokem
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: South Texas, All over
Default Ranger All The Way!

I bought my Ranger brand new in 03 and have over 360hrs. on it. And have never had a lick of problems with it. On burning up the belts, I read a thread about replacing it with a Sportsman 700 belt-it's beefer & quicker on low end torque. So I spent the $40 bucks for it, installed it myself, very easy. For torque, I've pulled my buddy's Jeep that he buried in a ditch with no problem!
Ranger All The Way!
Pokem&Smokem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Used to be Santa Gerturdis, Laureles & Norias Divisions - King Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
The only problem I have seen on the Rangers is the belts..a few of the guys have replaced the belt more than once over several years..with that being said..we pull bass boats, trailers loaded with corn, and way to much weight most of the time.....Also you can put 20 50lb sacks of corn in the bed of a Ranger...To each his own, but so far my vote is for the Ranger...

If your going thru belts they need to run in Low more and not so much in High, the one out at the lease was doing this and the quail guides who drive some pimped out 6x6 rangers said that was the issue. they carry 4 hunters and 8 dogs on their's I reckon they learned quick
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #31
Eason
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Cherokee, Shelby and San Augustine Counties

go with the ranger, You wont be sorry!
Eason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #32
Bigdaddy0442
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Throckmorton and Palestine

Nothing runs like a Deere!!! My XUV Gator is far superior to the two Mules on our lease in Throckmorton.

Bigdaddy0442
Bigdaddy0442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #33
william
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone/ McCulloch

I tried the Mule, Kubota RTV900, the Rhino 660, and the Ranger out of them I bought the Ranger. To me the Ranger was hands down the best.
william is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #34
TexaswBOWhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr, Montgomery & Leon Counties in Tx, SW Kansas

I was faced with the same decision about 3 years ago and after looking at all the UTV's on the market and doing the research..... I decided that I could buy a real nice Jeep/Scout/Etc. for about half the price of a UTV....

This is what I bought and I have half the money in it than I would have the Ranger I was looking at.... It has Heat, A/C, Windshield, Doors to boot....
TexaswBOWhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #35
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
All about needs.

A Ranger is a great asset, it will haul a lot of gear but is rougher than a Rhino. It is also much larger and if you are in the woods or used to running an ATV down your trails, you will have to make some wider trails.

Regarding mud, I would go with the Rhino as the Ranger is a heavy beast and the Rhino is nimble.

I have a Rhino and love it but I am in the woods a lot with smaller trails & tighter turns. Hands down there is far more gear/mods/lifts/accessories for the Rhino. You can tailor the Rhino to your specific needs.

Now, if you are looking for 4 seats, you are limited to the Ranger and that unit is huge. I have seen the Rzr 4 seater and it is very sweet but it is more of a recreation UTV than a working UTV as there is not really any cargo space at all.

I have left the Mule out all together, I have a buddy with one and it is slow, heavy and gets stuck a lot even with mud grips and a 2" lift.

Price wise, shop around, I wanted the Ranger Crew but no dealing on the price when I was buying in December 2008. I got a great deal on a Rhino and I love it. It is not for everyone but I do not need to load 1,000# of corn and run the roads filling feeders so I don't need a Ranger either.
Not limited to 4 seats Ranger..I have a 2008 4 seatmule and am very pleased with it...we hunt south of Laredo in primarily sandy country and it does everything my jeep did..except I think the jeep would tow a heavier load..had a 16 ft dual axel lowboy with 3500 lbs of corn on it and stopped in some soft loose sand...had to drrop the trailer and load corn into the mule.800 lbs at a time and then go to the feeders....think I could have pulled it out with the old jeep...but with the mule you float over the groung without tearing up the roads when it is wet...ranch owner appreciates that...
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #36
Robert77
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Michigan-Texas
Default Video Comparison of Polaris-Can Am - Yamaha Hunting UTV.

I did this video yesterday to show the features they all have that make it a great machine to use while Hunting your White Tail Deer or Wildlife Game!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
Robert77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #37
SB09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford/Grayson Counties

I have been around pretty much every make and model in every riding condition. Your decision should be based on what you want out of the machine. There's a differnt machine for work. A different machine for play.
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #38
Twztid
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson Co.

People screw them selves on polaris belt issues....anytime you have a load run in low it still will get up to 20/25mph and you won't have an issue. If worst case get a clutch kit for 250$ and it will be set up for low gear hauling/oversized tires low engagement.y buddy has a crew and 34" mud tires and never smoked a belt in two years of extreme mud and a pallet full of corn in the back at the lease.
Twztid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #39
ccupit
Ten Point

Hunt In: anderson county edwards county
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twztid View Post
People screw them selves on polaris belt issues....anytime you have a load run in low it still will get up to 20/25mph and you won't have an issue. If worst case get a clutch kit for 250$ and it will be set up for low gear hauling/oversized tires low engagement.y buddy has a crew and 34" mud tires and never smoked a belt in two years of extreme mud and a pallet full of corn in the back at the lease.
Bingo if your running under 20mph you should be in low my group has rangers and mavericks and commanders all over 30 inch tires and we ride Hard I can count the belts we've burnt on 1 hand
ccupit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #40
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Irion Co., and any other i get a chance to.

I have used both a ranger and a mule a lot. Both were put thru a lot and driven up and down some nasty stuff pulled trailers rocky muddy terrain etc..... I would be comfortable getting either one.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #41
trailboss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Most folks will think their own machine is the best. I'm no different. I have Rhino and love it. Tough as nails.
Never owned a Ranger but had such poor luck with Polaris 4-wheelers that I don't think I would ever own one.
My son has a Ranger Crew and loves it.

My advice is to shop around and test drive a few before pulling the string.

Trailboss
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #42
SmackDown73
Four Point

Hunt In: Doss Tx.

Ranger!!
SmackDown73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #43
RJK70
Ten Point

Hunt In: SW San Saba County and Burnet county (Spicewood), New Mexico

Not sure what the best is but I have a 2008 Teryx 750 NRA Edition that I bought brand new out the door for $10,000. It has worked for 6 years now with out a single issue and does everything the Ranger's on the lease do. It does not ride as smooth though, haha. With the price of a replacement UTV at around $16,000 I will be keeping mine for awhile.
RJK70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #44
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Ranger here!! Got one about a month ago and love it!
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #45
dbelcher269
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

I have a rhino and love it. For me it does all I need to do. I haul enough corn for feeders, carry any animal I kill, and can move a small trailer around with stands and what not on it with no problem. As far as mud, well, they are all "pretty" close to the same as long as your comparing a 2 seat to a 2 seat (or single bench seat) with the exception of the RZR (play is all you can do in one of these though).

I have two cousins who have Rangers. One is an older model, 07 I think, 700? that is non fuel injected. Its ok, reliable, and definitely a work horse. He has had belt issues but now knows to basically run in low all the time. Great machine for him and his family, but definitely slower and not as nimble or comfortable to ride in as a rhino.

Other cousin has a newer Ranger, '13 or '14 model, and I believe its like a 500 or so. Still not as comfortable as a Rhino but quieter and still pretty quick. I really like it because its not as big and doesn't feel as wide as the older, bigger Rangers.

Both went with Rangers for the bench seat and wife and kid or kids. It is usually just me on the Rhino with maybe my daughter or one person, so I like the split seats and comfort. We don't really mud, but none of us has had problems there when we have to.

Can't really go wrong with either as both are considered tested and very reliable and hold good resale for the most part.

The new Honda Pioneer is supposed to be a big improvement over the Big Red, but that is coming from a friend who is a dealer so I don't know. Go drive'em, and find the best deal.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #46
JP Weld
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, TX

Ranger 900XP EPS.
JP Weld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #47
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Cnt,East Texas, SW Kansas,

I have had both the Rhino and a Ranger Crew and alot of experience with the TransMule. If I were to buy another one it would be another Ranger Crew. Just no comparison in my opinion when it comes you capacity, capability, and comfort. That being said, I don't see myself ever owning another UTV since I have figured out you are getting hosed from a money standpoint.

I bought a mint 2001 Jeep Cherokee last year with 120,000 miles on it for $4000. I spent right at $2.5k on a 4.5" lift, tires, wheel, and lockers. I have heat/AC, drive it 6hrs back and forth from the lease getting 15mpg, can haul 5 guys and go just about anywhere a mule/Ranger will go.

So, to the OP's question, I'd vote Ranger, but unless you are going to be buying something specifically for "playing" I think you (like I was) are a fool to buy a new UTV for hunting.
Attached Images

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #48
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Ive got over 3,000 miles on my Rangers factory belt with no signs of wearing out anytime soon (nock on wood). I use low range when necessary.

If I ever replace the Ranger I will consider the newly redesigned Mule, Yamaha and Honda.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #49
txwhitetail
Six Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

As far as UTVs go I don't think there is really anyone competing with Ranger right now.

I looked at pretty much every brand when I bought a new one this last time including rhino, john deere, etc and bought a ranger 900 crew. Its a beast and I made the right decision.

Good luck.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #50
GMAN
Spike

Hunt In: Young Co, Edwards Co, Terrell Co, Grimes Co and a yearly trip to Colorado

I've got a 2007 rhino, have done nothing but change the oil, and its got around 3500 miles. can't complain about that.
GMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top