Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Africanbowhunter
Banned!!!

Unhappy Ken Moody badly Gored by Hog in Tenn

Outfitter guide & Lodge owner ken Moody of Clark Range TENN is in critical condition after being mauled and gored by hog on his Clark Range Boar Hunting reserve in Clarkrange Tenn

He was guiding bowfolks from G-5 when something went wrong

a 265# hog attacked a client and Ken Rushed in and the boar took Ken and about killed him

Hog bit thru his his leg cuts 5 inches Long and 2 1/2" ; deep and then broke his leg in 3 places below the knee.

Someone finally killed the 265# hog Ken Moody was unconscious and they got him out he had to let the leg drain for 3 days before they could patch him up.

Apparently Ken wasn't packing a sidearm. Ken runs the largest hog huntignOperation in the USA and one of the largest African bowhunting operation in south Africa called Ken Moody safaris (KMS)

Ken was a capt in the US Army Armour Corps a Tanker.

Ken was my House guest in Africa and quite a gentlemen and good hunter.

We all wish Ken speedy recovereries

point

Never trust a wild Animal

Always carry" protection" when dealing with dangerous game. sidearm work when logn gun fail...

never trust a wild animal

Tink
Africanbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Rackrus
Eight Point

Prayers sent for Ken.
Rackrus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Bufford
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can

prayers sent
Bufford is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
helibow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cty and Colorado

Here is Kens account of the event from bowsite.com

Thanks for all the positive emails. I appreciate it. Yes, I was attacked and hospitalized by a boar on 1 May. It was not a pleasant experience. Roger has most of the story correct. We were making a new DVD and I was taking Burley Hall into Pennycuff Ford (a specific area at the lodge) and the incident occurred. We had already chased this boar for over an hour and he had already once chased me around a few trees before escaping. When we finally got him into Pennycuff I told Burley to stay close and we would kill this hog. Well, as soon as we approached and were seen by the hog, he charged going past me and hitting Burley who fell into a brushpile. The boar was trying to get on top of Burley who kept him away by kicking at him. I was right there and kept telling Burley to get up as I feared he might be gutted or have his throat cut while on the ground. My yelling at Burley brought the hog to me. He charge and hit him in the right knee driving his tusk into the joint and ripping down towards the calf. I turned to run and he flipped me over and started again. As I got up he hit me in the back of my left thigh making a deep, painful cut and also cut me across the left shin. I also rec'd a bite in my chest. The hog was unrelenting and came again. I couldn't stand up anymore and as he charged I grabbed his right ear with both hands and screamed for help. My dogs grabbed the hog on the flanks and I held onto his ear but had no strength at this point. I was screaming again for someone to help me but no one knew what to do. Finally, I yelled at a guy who grabbed the hog by the tail and with that and me holding the ear Burley was able to put two arrows into the hog at point blank which killed him. I then called Johnny on the radio who called an ambulance and got me out of there even though I passed out enroute. Once in the hospital I was taken to surgery where the wounds were cleaned and allowed to drain. The following evening I was returned to surgery to have the wounds stapled and stitched and to have my knee scoped and repaired. I have three broken bones in my right knee with some floating bone chips. I stayed in the hospital until Saturday and once home suffered until Wednesday when I finally starting feeling better. I can walk with a walker or crutches but fear I may be hobbled for quite some time. I am getting better though.

Ken Moody
helibow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Deerhunter30
Ten Point

Prayers sent for a quick recovery.
Deerhunter30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Africanbowhunter
Banned!!!

Thanks he is a tough guy

But he should have carried a heavy sidearm for his clients protection. Sad

tink
Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Hot4huntin
Pope & Young

OUCH!!! Prayers sent for a speedy recovery!
Hot4huntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Seemore
Ten Point

Prayers sent and glad everybody made it out alive, exept the big pig.
Seemore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
dcbrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano & Lee

Prayers sent...
dcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibow View Post
Finally, I yelled at a guy who grabbed the hog by the tail and with that and me holding the ear Burley was able to put two arrows into the hog at point blank which killed him.
One critter with a bad attitude. Glad he's alive to tell the story.
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Joey~AP
Administrator

Hunt In: Texas

Hence the reason I bought an M8.

If I can only remember to carry it.

Get well, dude!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
helibow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cty and Colorado

Think about Burley... about being in his shoes... i'm the guy holding a drawn bow... trying to stick a pig in the heart... that has a guy pinned down on the ground, who oh by the way happens to be holding on to the pigs ear...in close proximity to the location I need to shoot... and somebody else is trying to hold a 250+ pound porker by the tail... WOW... Glad it all worked out ok.. but I **** sure hear banjo music in the back ground of this picture in my head!! If ya get pass through, the guy on the ground could be in worse shape!!
helibow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Young, & Montague Counties in TX, as well as KS & OK !

Them hogs are bad news. A few years ago a couple of my buddies were hunting hogs near Ray Roberts. Came up on one and shot it w/a 30-06, twice. Hog was a 300+ lb sow. They walked up to it and it wasn't dead. It knocked one of them down and grabbed him by his coveralls and slung him around like a rag doll. He tried to shoot it again but it was on him too fast. The other guy was afraid to shoot in fear of hitting his friend. After a minute of being slung around and beating on the hog w/a gun, the other guy finally got a clear shot off w/the 06 to kill it.

Believe it or not, I got eat up by javi's about 6 or 7 years ago. Had an arrow in one and went in the brush after him. Thick stuff. Ended up being 7 or 8 of them attacking me when the wounded one started squealin'. Scaredest I've ever been. Ended up w/$800 worth of stitches from the Alice hospital. And them were only 50 lb critters. Couldn't imagine a 250-300 lb'er getting ahold of me...........

Hope for a speedy recovery for Ken. Sounds like he is well on his way.........
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #14
dao57
Eight Point

Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery, hang in there! Prayers are on their way!
dao57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
orrbull48
Eight Point

prayers sent!
orrbull48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #16
westexasagent
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Tink...where did u get that boar pic above it is awesome. i would love to buy the print!
westexasagent is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #17
rockint
Four Point

What a story!!!!

I wish you a quick recovery and my prayers will be with you.

Good advice Tink and I will never again just have a bow while hog hunting
rockint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #18
Africanbowhunter
Banned!!!

Some of you fellows know that I was a Professional Hunter/registered Hunting Outfitter in South Africa from 1991 to 1999 and I also taught Professional Hunting at a PH School where people trained to take the PH tests etc.

I also started the first bowhunting college in Africa and also trained some folks to take the Dangerous Game Bowhunting Course.

Many of my student were PHs i was a critic of sloppy practices, poor train unethical business s practices etc.

Bottom Line is that I had to take many guys how to Hunt when they were planning on guiding or running game ranch

every time time i see a PH killed or gored it sticks out like a spotlight on what when wrong and how the PH could have prevented the accident.

ken was a US Army Armor Captain he should have Carried a sidearm and used it.

period

Tink
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Used to be Santa Gerturdis, Laureles & Norias Divisions - King Ranch

.45 ACP Automatic, when it absoulty needs to be sent to hell in a hurry!!!! Glad it didn't turn out worse.
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #20
westexasagent
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I agree Tink!!
westexasagent is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top