Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Granger WMA farewell hog hunt for The Recruiter. (Lots of verbage and pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger WMA farewell hog hunt for The Recruiter. (Lots of verbage and pictures)

Pretty soon we'll be losing our good hunting buddy The Recruiter. He, his wife and kids will be moving on to his new navy duty station for his last 3 years of 20.

Nostradenis, The Admiral and I decided that we had to get one last hunt with the kid as a going away present.

Monday was the day. We met out at the parking lot for E and F a little before 1pm, got a plan together, and headed out to the swimming pool to start a drive down into the points in E to see if we could get some hogs.

The Recruiter was getting first shot if it was available. We didn't want it any other way.

We've all been blessed with taking plenty of porkage in the San Gabriel Unit over the years so it was just a matter of time before we score. We hoped. Cross our fingers.

After pushing a few points for a couple of hours and lots of "Hey, remember when" we had to move off the river. No pigs wanted to play.

We agreed that we would go push one of our super secret never tell any one hog hot spots. If they're not on the points we can count on busting some up here.

As we approached and got set up Nostradenis crashed into the brier and kicked out a 200lbs sow and a bunch of smaller ones. The wind was blowing so hard out there yesterday nobody heard them until they blew out the side and headed east to the lake.

They ran between me and The Admiral. I thew an arrow way out at them on general principle. Missed. Next thing I know I see The Recruiter full tilt boogie running after them. He must have really wanted them because he chased them a mile all the way back to the trucks.

Whew. A new strategery was devised while us old guys got a drink and reminisced about when we could run like that.

The Recruiter decided he didn't get enough PT in so he went way east into F and pushed the lake shore back to us.

We did a little drive while waiting and kicked up a smaller hog. No shot.

Pretty soon the radio crackled with news of a 400lbs boar spotted down by Johnny's foodplot near the cattle pens.

By now it's almost 5pm and a short ride in the truck over there sounded like a good idea.

When we got there, there was no boar but plenty of deer in the food plot.

While glassing the area, the Admiral sees some piglets come in under the wire of the foodplot and soon after, a big sow wanders out to feed on the Turnips.

Game on!

We all knew this was going to be our last chance at a good hog and decided a big half mile upwind circle to the side of the foodplot would work as long as we crawled on hands and knees the last 100 yards or so.

Sometimes you just have to literally get down on their level to get the smart ones.

So off we went.

Within 30 minutes it was all over.

Nostradenis, The admiral and I had front row seats along the side of Johnny's food plot while The Recruiter stalked up along the brush line to within 40yards.

With a strong crosswind, as soon as she turned broadside he took the shot and nailed her!

She ran about 50 yards and dropped. The piglets headed for parts unknown.

It was a good sight seeing the arrow fly true and him jumping up and down cheering.

It was a great hunting moment.

The perfect end to a perfect hunt.

I think I grinned all the way home.

Recruiter, God bless you and your family, we'll hunt again someday.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
    Attached Files

GREAT READ AND PIX, THANKS FOR SHARING.

Comment

Yea, verily. And thus it was so.

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu..."

Skip a bit, Brother...
      Attached Files

Comment

Is that the cave of the deadly rabbit?

Great story and a successful conclusion! Y'all rock for sure.

Comment

Congrats on the nice hog!

Comment

nice porker

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradenis View Post
              Yea, verily. And thus it was so.

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu..."

Skip a bit, Brother...
              Nostra, do you have a prediction on my swollen Knee?

What will the Orthopedic Surgeon say Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                Nostra, do you have a prediction on my swollen Knee?

What will the Orthopedic Surgeon say Monday?
                Outlook not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  Is that the cave of the deadly rabbit?

Right!

BTTT. Wonder how the Granger Rangers made out this weekend...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99X8WDQWAKg"]YouTube- Monty Python-Killer bunny/Holy Hand-grenade[/ame]
                  Last edited by Nostradenis; 02-27-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Allright! Was wanting to go on last hunt too but ya'll planned for a weekday.
                    Congrats to the recruiter!
                    Looking forward to hunting with you guys again.
                    MBBM, seen the pic of your knees. get em fixed ol boy.

Comment

Working...
                    X