Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Default Yeti vs Engel vs Coleman Extreme

I came across this cooler test comparing the Yeti, Engel and Coleman Extreme and thought it might be helpful to some.

http://www.engel-usa.com/PS0908_BigC...nt0808_WEB.pdf
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
thorthunder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Thanks for the link.

I own a Coleman Extreme and am impressed. I took the same bag of ice to the lease 3 times this year.
thorthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
double lung
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brushy

wow, i didnt see that one coming...

thanks, berandel.
double lung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Bones
Ten Point

I bet that Yetti LOVED that!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
mnsmokepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: Boerne, Minnesota, Black Hills,SD

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
mnsmokepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
bowhntrmatt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

Not what I was expecting, thanks for sharing!!!
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Never heard of engel, but the results were on par with what I've heard about the coleman and yeti's.

I love my 48 qt. coleman cooler, probably the best one I've ever owned.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
getoutside
Four Point

Man that's tough to drop that much for a stinking ice chest! I'm for good equipment, but I'm not there for a cooler, yet.
getoutside is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Burnadell
Pope & Young

In had not heard of Engel before either. Wonder why they didn't also compare an Igloo?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
TopNoc
Four Point

I think you have to be careful when you see a "comparison test" between brands and the people doing the comparison are the manufacturers of one of the products they are testing. I can't imagine any cooler being much better than the Yeti cooler I have. I've used it for a week at at time, put in ice at the start of the trip, and at the end of the week, still had lots of ice left. Notice I said lots of ice, not just some ice. I might be able to believe some cooler could be better, but the results they're claiming aren't believable to me.
TopNoc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNoc View Post
I think you have to be careful when you see a "comparison test" between brands and the people doing the comparison are the manufacturers of one of the products they are testing. I can't imagine any cooler being much better than the Yeti cooler I have. I've used it for a week at at time, put in ice at the start of the trip, and at the end of the week, still had lots of ice left. Notice I said lots of ice, not just some ice. I might be able to believe some cooler could be better, but the results they're claiming aren't believable to me.
Perhaps you did not read the first sentence that the tests were done by the magazine, "Practical Sailor".
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
ty729
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Irion County and formerly Mexico

Test was crap.

Should have filled up all three coolers with ice and/or beverages and waited to see how long they would keep.

Also the 2 expensive coolers are built like a female East-German gymnast. Ugly, but tough!

I am with others though....I am not ready to spend that much money on a cooler.
ty729 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty729 View Post
Test was crap.

Should have filled up all three coolers with ice and/or beverages and waited to see how long they would keep.

Also the 2 expensive coolers are built like a female East-German gymnast. Ugly, but tough!

I am with others though....I am not ready to spend that much money on a cooler.
I agree on the test parameters being 'off'....

Why not pre-chill every one of them, fill them up and see how well they retain the ice?

I say the Engel and the Yeti will be basically the same.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Roscoe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell County

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the majority of the folks claiming the test was crap are likely the folks who have already spent a rediculous amount of money on a cooler made by yeti !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berandel View Post
Perhaps you did not read the first sentence that the tests were done by the magazine, "Practical Sailor".
Come'on, you know a test is only fair and impartial if it supports what you already believed to be true!

Last edited by Roscoe; 01-24-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the majority of the folks claiming the test was crap are likely the folks who have already spent a rediculous amount of money on a cooler made by yeti !
That's not true!

I just have a serious case of "I want one!"

I do think they are cool looking, and not at all comparable to a Ukranian swimmer.....
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #16
Russ
Pope & Young

I can buy alot of ice for the price difference!!! My coleman extreme holds ice plenty long enough for me. Not to mention look at the weight difference!!! A full ice chest is heavy enough without adding 20lbs! IMO a 20lb heavier ice chest that cost 3 times as much and only saves you a few more hours of ice retention is a complete ripp off!!!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
dcrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kalamazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berandel View Post
Interesting comparison. Probably legit too but you never know if this unheard of by most cooler company named Engel paid for the article.
dcrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #18
El Patron
Six Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

My beer dosen't last long enough to make a difference...IGLOO will do.
El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Roscoe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by el patron View Post
my beer dosen't last long enough to make a difference...igloo will do.
lol:d
Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
ty729
Associate Sponsor

Quote:

Come'on, you know a test is only fair and impartial if it supports what you already believed to be true!
I do not own a high dollar cooler and do not plan on it anytime soon.

The test is just plain BS.

Put 3-4 cases of beverages inside and then fill the rest up with equal amounts of ice. I do not put a 6 pack in a big cooler and a bag and a half of ice and expect it to keep for very long.

It is the same principal as a refrigerator. If you take everything out of a fridge and expect it to use less energy to keep cold than a fridge that is full of stuff.

I am not telling everyone to go buy a yeti or whatever, just saying the test is bogus.

Personally I believe the biggest difference in price is not how much better they are at keeping ice but in the quality difference in construction. Handles, hinges, lasps, drain plugs, material, etc.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
El Arquero Rey
Spike

Hunt In: Sabine County, Mexico

Been hunting Mexico for 6 years. Ice is a big problem. No electricity on this ranch. always stay at least a week. Ten hunters and I have seen all kinnds except Engel. Best I have seen is a 120 qt Rubbermaid. I know I thought they were no good but this cooler is the best by far. Those guys with Yetti coolers bought em. Gander sells em for 99.00.
El Arquero Rey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
Harvey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett Country

The main thing I don't have to worry about with my Yeti is it falling apart. They're built like a bomb shelter. The ice retention on the Yeti is incredible. But it should be for as heavy as they're built. About to buy a Roadie model Yeti to keep in my truck full time.
Oh, and the customer service from the Seider brothers is top notch. These are also the guys that started Waterloo Rods and The Launcher popping corks.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
Roscoe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty729 View Post
I do not own a high dollar cooler and do not plan on it anytime soon.

The test is just plain BS.

Put 3-4 cases of beverages inside and then fill the rest up with equal amounts of ice. I do not put a 6 pack in a big cooler and a bag and a half of ice and expect it to keep for very long.

It is the same principal as a refrigerator. If you take everything out of a fridge and expect it to use less energy to keep cold than a fridge that is full of stuff.

I am not telling everyone to go buy a yeti or whatever, just saying the test is bogus.

Personally I believe the biggest difference in price is not how much better they are at keeping ice but in the quality difference in construction. Handles, hinges, lasps, drain plugs, material, etc.
Based on your refrigerator theory, the coleman cooler would see the greatest increase in efficiency since it was the largest of the three coolers.....

But seriousily, when they do the SAME thing in ALL 3 coolers, the test is not BS. What would make anyone think the results would be different if they packed all 3 coolers to the gills with ice? I would expect one cooler that outperformed another with 16lbs of ice to STILL outperform the other of I started with more ice....I mean why wouldn't it?

And I agree, the biggest difference is probably hindges, drain plugs, etc.

......not in how well they keep things cold!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
ty729
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arquero Rey View Post
Been hunting Mexico for 6 years. Ice is a big problem. No electricity on this ranch. always stay at least a week. Ten hunters and I have seen all kinnds except Engel. Best I have seen is a 120 qt Rubbermaid. I know I thought they were no good but this cooler is the best by far. Those guys with Yetti coolers bought em. Gander sells em for 99.00.
We hunt in Mexico and have the same issues. No electricity except for a generator so no plug-in fridge or freezer.

We have an old standup refridgerator that does not work. Layed it down on its back so it works like a chest cooler. We bring about 50 lbs of dry ice and line the bottom of the fridge and put all of our bags of ice on top.

It gets cold enough inside to freeze capes that will pass inspection crossing back into Texas.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #26
leasecommander
Ten Point

Thanks for sharing, maybe I should just but 3 Coleman's or use the money I save on purchase for lots of ice, great info !!!
leasecommander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #27
Rick
Six Point

Hunt In: Ozona

Great info! I have a freind that has a Yeti, it is an awesome cooler, I have never seen a cooler hold ice as long as it does. I doubt that I would ever spend that much money on a cooler, but I would definately buy a Coleman Extreme based on this!!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #28
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Location: Marble Falls/Zavala, Burnet, Llano and Greenwood KS

Quote:
Based on your refrigerator theory, the coleman cooler would see the greatest increase in efficiency since it was the largest of the three coolers.....

But seriousily, when they do the SAME thing in ALL 3 coolers, the test is not BS. What would make anyone think the results would be different if they packed all 3 coolers to the gills with ice? I would expect one cooler that outperformed another with 16lbs of ice to STILL outperform the other of I started with more ice....I mean why wouldn't it?

And I agree, the biggest difference is probably hindges, drain plugs, etc.

......not in how well they keep things cold!
Yeti addresses this one their web-site. in a since. Since the Yeti cooler is so thick it takes longer to cool them however once the coolers itself gets cold it stays cold. I got two for Christmas and have been very pleased. I haven't had any experience with the 2 others mentioned in article. When compared to all the other coolers I have owned the Yeti is by far the best. not only does it keep things cold but they are virtually unbreakable.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #29
hunter1
Nubbin' Buck

Default Engel, Yeti, Coleman

i found another independent test on youtube by SportsmanGuys comparing a bunch of different coolers and the Engel also came out to be the best cooler.

I actually have had some experience with the Yeti, Coleman and the Engel and the main differnce is how much insulation they each use and where they place the insulation in the cooler. The Engel places a thick 2" layer on all sides(provides- great insulation all around the cooler). The Yeti places hardly any insulation (a lot less than 2" on the bottom of the cooler and a lot of insulation on the top). This makes no sense since all your ice goes on the bottom of the cooler and all your cold gets lost from the bottom. The Coleman in my experince held the ice about the same as the Yeti. So in my experince when I upgraded my cooler to a Yeti I really felt like i was cheated since my ice lasted as long as a Coleman but i spent a ton of more money. I finally had to throw out the Yeti since I had to keep replacing the latches and the lid broke off after a very short time. My wife also hated the Yeti since she could never open and close it since you have to pull on the rubber latches so hard to open and close it. All the stress goes on the latches and they break right off.

Since I bought the Engel the ice lasts a long long long time - in fact most times I come back home with as much ice as when I started and my wife doesnt complain about opening an closing it since the latches are great and the lid is extra sturdy. To top it all off it has really shown itself to be a better cooler then either the Yeti or the Coleman and it was about 20% less in price than the Yeti. My recommendation is the Engel - you cannot go wrong!
hunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
Burnadell
Pope & Young

hunter1, I see this is your first post. Wellcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Where do you live, what do you do, etc.?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

I have a coleman extreme that is 3 years old. When I typically use it for long durations it is during hunting season when the temps outside are not as hot. I fill my cooler up the day before and get it chilled and then i put in what I need and top it off with ice the next day. Once I get to the lease I put my food in the fridge and leave my beverages in the cooler. It kept ice for the whole trip 7 days. Granted it wasn't hot but warm at times (octocber) and I did keep it in the shade as much as possible and there was plenty of ice to make the trip home probably about 1/5 left. For the money and overall considerations I am very pleased with the coleman extreme for the money and performance. As a matter of fact I had a party here Friday night and my cooler still has about a third of the ice that I started with still in it this morning. I didnt pre chill it either. It has been on my patio where it is shaded until about 5:00 and I drained the water off of it once and left the drain open ovdernight for one night. I would say that is a pretty good cooler.
iamntxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #32
Razor Dobbs
Eight Point

I believe the YETI is the best. Keeps everything cold, even in the desert and it's virtually indestructible. Check this out.
Razor Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
Hillary
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria & Bandera County

Yeti aka Melti, is the worst ice chest I have ever owned.
I have had to put more I've in that thing than any other cooler I have used.

Interesting read.

Last edited by Hillary; 07-26-2010 at 10:51 AM..
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #34
H-D
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Randell View Post
hunter1, I see this is your first post. Wellcome to the site. Tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Where do you live, what do you do, etc.?
He's prolly an Engel dealer
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #35
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D View Post
He's prolly an Engel dealer
Ya think?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #36
nativetexan
Six Point

Hunt In: Johnson City

I agree that the main difference is in the construction. I have a Yeti, fish a ton, and it's well worth it to me, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. I can stand on it to sight fish, and it keeps ice all weekend. I've been very satisfied.
nativetexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #37
H-D
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Ya think?
Well this post WAS woken up from a 6 month sleep you know
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #38
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I see he is online here now. Perhaps he will post up.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #39
hunter1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome. I just found this blog and had to comment on my cooler experience. I live in the dallas, Tx area and I own a small plant nursery. I love to go out on the weekends hunting. When I saw this blog about the coolers I had to share my experience.

No, I do not have any relationship to Engel, Yeti or Coleman but it does sound like some of the people on your blog that are praising Yeti do - maybe a salesperson or marketing person from Yeti.

I do have several friends that have shared the same experience with me about the Yeti coolers and how bad they are. They are not durable and are extremely overpriced for what they offer.

Just sharing my experiences and thoughts on this.
hunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #40
Legdog
Pope & Young

I think it woul be fun to set up a top 5 test at bownanza next year. put 'em side by side in the sun... open end close them all at the same time, etc.

Just seems like these threads are always so extreme opinion wise....

Yeti's not durable? Makes no sense... they may not hold ice as well but at least they should score well in durability? Right?

welcome hunter1
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #41
Badboypfg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Magnolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
Not what I was expecting, thanks for sharing!!!
x2
Badboypfg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #42
jason2547
Four Point

Thanks for sharing.
jason2547 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #43
agvet2004
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Hempstead, Menard, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
I think it woul be fun to set up a top 5 test at bownanza next year. put 'em side by side in the sun... open end close them all at the same time, etc.
Just seems like these threads are always so extreme opinion wise....

Yeti's not durable? Makes no sense... they may not hold ice as well but at least they should score well in durability? Right?

welcome hunter1
Not a bad idea. Team Cooler Testing.
agvet2004 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #44
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agvet2004 View Post
Not a bad idea. Team Cooler Testing.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to join ONE more team!

I will volunteer to get one beer, from each cooler, every hour, on the hour, throughout the day!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #45
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

That is 5 beers per hour. I dont think you will be able to walk to the cooler after the 4th hour. Maybe we could just prop you up close to them.
iamntxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #46
VorTexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backwoods

Not in the test

YET. 3" foam on bottom.

Oh, and B. Made in Longview Texas!
Attached Images

VorTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntxhunter View Post
That is 5 beers per hour. I dont think you will be able to walk to the cooler after the 4th hour. Maybe we could just prop you up close to them.
Re-read my post ... I said I'd GET the beers ... even I know I couldn't drink that much!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #48
millman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora, and anywhere I can draw a tag

good info
millman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #49
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: loose fitting boxers

Sorry, did not read all the posts as I will not dump $500 + on a cooler. We have a reach-in freezer on a trailer we bring to camp, and a generator (both were less than the Yeti.) Have a few Colemans and Ice....$500+ for a cooler???
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #50
Jonathan
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

I had bought a large igloo or rubbermaid every year for several years. I now have several igloos and rubbermaid with aftermarket and broken hinges and latches sitting in the shed that i dont use. I have had my yeti for three years and it has spent 300 days a year in the back of my truck and has all of its latches and hinges in pristine shape. I plan on buying another for longer trips, because long-term the price is worth it.

Hunter1, If you dont take out your drain plug it doesnt create a vacuum and the lid will open easily.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top