Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
jrfan
Ten Point
 
jrfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wills Point/lake Tawakoni
Hunt In: Callahan co.
Default Anyone ever lease from Mike Hopkins?

Looking at a lease he has in Haskell Co. by lake Stanford. Does anyone know anything about him? How about the deer numbers out that way?
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
JDL
Associate Sponsor
 
JDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Forney, TX
Hunt In: The Foard County Tx, kansas and TheSticks ranch in OK
Default

We leased a place from him in eastland a few years back. He treated us right. I will say that he leases multiple properties and then sub leases them. Personally i would rather lease directly from the owner. All in all, seemed like a nice guy!
JDL is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
jrfan
Ten Point
 
jrfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wills Point/lake Tawakoni
Hunt In: Callahan co.
Default

ttt
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
We leased a place from him in eastland a few years back. He treated us right. I will say that he leases multiple properties and then sub leases them. Personally i would rather lease directly from the owner. All in all, seemed like a nice guy!
My experience with him was vastly different. we looked at a small place in Gordon. when we tried to negotiate the price with him he went ape**** ballistic. He started cussing and acting like a **** fool.

Needlessly we didn't lease any property from him.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
bowhuntertx
Ten Point
 
bowhuntertx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aledo
Default

I know Mike and I couldn't ever see him acting like that. My experience with any lease broker is that they don't negotiate lease prices.. These guys charge what they do because people are willing to pay it. It is just the same as any other business, we just take it personally because it greatly affects our favorite past time. This is how most of these guys make a living. Im not supporting it, this is just the way it is. I try to my find leases on my own. However, the majority of these guys are from some of the areas that they lease. The farmers feel more comfortable dealing with them than the hunters.
bowhuntertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Don't know what to tell you bhtexx. There were 3 other guys there with me when it happened. If the price is not negotiable that's fine just say. No reason to act like an idiot. It's just business to me too and as far as I'm concerned everything is negotiable.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
FCTrapper
Ten Point
 
FCTrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charlotte Texas (El Tesoro Ranch)
Hunt In: Atascosa/McMullen County
Default

Leased from him several years ago and we all felt was a standup guy. He was good to deal with and was a straight shooter. I would do business with him again.
FCTrapper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
eradicator
Ten Point
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

I went to school with his son. Mike is a good guy. I have lost touch and haven't seen or talked to him in several years. With all of that being said, I am absolutely not a fan of third-party leasing(politically correct). This is one of the main reasons our sport is so expensive these days.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Jaspro
Pope & Young
 
Jaspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I went to school with his son. Mike is a good guy. I have lost touch and haven't seen or talked to him in several years. With all of that being said, I am absolutely not a fan of third-party leasing(politically correct). This is one of the main reasons our sport is so expensive these days.
Andy who was his son? I don't remember a Hopkins other than an Amanda.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
bowhuntertx
Ten Point
 
bowhuntertx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aledo
Default

I do know that he usually know he has some quality places. Check out his website at dfwhunt.com. He has had 2 200" deer come off two of his leases in the past 2 years.

Mike D, I'm sorry. I was not trying to discredit your experience with, but instead just trying to give him a fair shake.
bowhuntertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
TexasCanesFan
Ten Point
 
TexasCanesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default

I enjoy reading his ads because his hunter density is always "fun" to read.

I like the 350 acres with 4 hunter ads.

It would be entertaining to see him get a 5000 acre piece of property. That would end up being about 57 hunters if my math if working for me.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
DPElite
Ten Point
 
DPElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FriendsHood
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascanesfan View Post
i enjoy reading his ads because his hunter density is always "fun" to read.

I like the 350 acres with 4 hunter ads.

It would be entertaining to see him get a 5000 acre piece of property. That would end up being about 57 hunters if my math if working for me. :d
yep your math is on point today
DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
eradicator
Ten Point
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

Prosser,

It was Jacob Hopkins, he was a year ahead of us. Mike used to own the Texaco on the east side of 157 right before you get to Sublett.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Speedgoat
Pope & Young
 
Speedgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jarrell
Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.
Default

Is this the same Mike Hopkins that owns Red River Cyclery in Alexandria, La?
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
Cuz
Pope & Young
 
Cuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midlothian
Hunt In: Central & West TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertx View Post
I do know that he usually know he has some quality places. Check out his website at dfwhunt.com. He has had 2 200" deer come off two of his leases in the past 2 years.

Mike D, I'm sorry. I was not trying to discredit your experience with, but instead just trying to give him a fair shake.
Holy Smokes he's high dollar! Guess that's how he makes a living at it but DANG!

$1950.00 each in denton county???
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
recar
Ten Point
 
recar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Flower Mound
Default

I leased a 100 acre piece of land north of Denton from him last year. When I got on the land and investigated it further, I found the center of the property to be full of junk and old parked cars. I called Mike and he refunded my money the next week.

Stand up Guy.
recar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
florissant
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Worth
Default

From Mr. Hopkins...


BB, thx for your comments, I have never cussed anybody out about a deer lease, in fact, i generally do not cuss. I have never had a lease around Gordon, Have had quite a few but none there. I really think the guy has me mixed up with someone else.

I do negotiate prices, however i usually do not have to, I have learned to be competitive in the market.

I do choose to pick my hunters that I feel good about just as the hunters have a right to pick their leases. It is a two way street.

On 5000 ac the number of hunters would be determined by the deer density, the distance from DFW, the land value, etc. I can assure you there would not be 57 hunters on 5000 ac.

I am a hunter, landowner and lease manager. I have a fair perspective on the hunting business. I make an honest living and I love my job. The hunters I deal with are usually very professional, good folks simply looking for a ranch to call home. By the way, it is a business, can u name anything in America that $ is involved that is not.

I disagree with the person who stated guys like me caused the price of leases to go up. Rural ranch land that has gone up 10 fold in the last 30 years is the biggest reason. Leases have not gone up any more than any other natural resource in my opinion and LEASES are way cheaper in the short term than owning if you consider all the cost involved.

This is my attempt to set the record straight, Mike Hopkins
florissant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Cuz
Pope & Young
 
Cuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midlothian
Hunt In: Central & West TX
Default

^^^

Well said BUT middle men like this DO without a doubt cause lease prices to go up. It's simple math... If the rancher gives it to the middle man for $8 an acre then the MM leases it to the hunter for $12 a acre then the price has gone up. It is what it is and personally I have no problem with a guy making a living at it. If someone is foolish enough to pay $2k to lease, especially in a sub par county, then let em have it!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
red
Ten Point
 
red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Young & Taylor co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
middle men like this DO without a doubt cause lease prices to go up. It's simple math... If the rancher gives it to the middle man for $8 an acre then the MM leases it to the hunter for $12 a acre then the price has gone up.
X2
red is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #20
jrfan
Ten Point
 
jrfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wills Point/lake Tawakoni
Hunt In: Callahan co.
Default

I have spoke Mike Hopkins and he really does sound like a stand up guy. He seemed to be very fair in waht he required and allowed when leasing. Mike I hope to lease from you soon.
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by florissant View Post
From Mr. Hopkins...


BB, thx for your comments, I have never cussed anybody out about a deer lease, in fact, i generally do not cuss. I have never had a lease around Gordon, Have had quite a few but none there. I really think the guy has me mixed up with someone else.

I do negotiate prices, however i usually do not have to, I have learned to be competitive in the market.

I do choose to pick my hunters that I feel good about just as the hunters have a right to pick their leases. It is a two way street.

On 5000 ac the number of hunters would be determined by the deer density, the distance from DFW, the land value, etc. I can assure you there would not be 57 hunters on 5000 ac.

I am a hunter, landowner and lease manager. I have a fair perspective on the hunting business. I make an honest living and I love my job. The hunters I deal with are usually very professional, good folks simply looking for a ranch to call home. By the way, it is a business, can u name anything in America that $ is involved that is not.

I disagree with the person who stated guys like me caused the price of leases to go up. Rural ranch land that has gone up 10 fold in the last 30 years is the biggest reason. Leases have not gone up any more than any other natural resource in my opinion and LEASES are way cheaper in the short term than owning if you consider all the cost involved.

This is my attempt to set the record straight, Mike Hopkins
I told my side, he told his. Fair enough, make your own determination. And he is right, the lease was not around Gordon, after looking back through my records and talking to the other guys that were with me, it was in/around Carbon. This has been at least 5 years ago. Maybe he had a change of heart, I don't know.

And he is a middle man and that does make the price higher. He's entitled to make a living he does all the legwork and all of the locating the properties and negotiating the leases. But, you will pay more for that service. And after my experience I prefer to deal with the landowner directly if possible.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Hoghunter10
Spike
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default

I have friends that say they have had dealings with Mike Hopkins and they said that he got hot headed with them too. He is one of those sub leasers that leases a property for nothing and then charges an arm and a leg for the lease to the consumer without the landowner knowing. So there isn't a doubt that he is one of the many reasons that lease prices have went through the roof.

Last edited by Hoghunter10; 03-02-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Hoghunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #23
KactusKiller
Ten Point
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co
Default

Have leased from him in the past and I like the guy, he does put too many people on too small an acrage but that whole area is like that which is why the deer numbers are so low, but it is supply and demand, DEMAND-there are enough people in the dfw area not wanting to drive more than two hours and are willing to pay the money so; SUPPLY he supplies them with what they need. Simple economics same as gas, food or anything else that you pay for. I now drive 4 hrs to pay what I want and have the acraege per man that I want.
KactusKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
TravisMears.net
Ten Point
 
TravisMears.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Roanoke, TEXAS
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, anywhere I can
Default

ttt
TravisMears.net is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com