Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer skin problem. Need thoughts. (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer skin problem. Need thoughts. (pics)

I shot this deer in Bandera County Saturday evening and it has some type of skin problem. I could find no ticks or mites that I could see. The bad spots had little pus filled sacks and little bit of blood. While we where skinning the deer the meat was not affected. The deer was healthy and the meat smelled and looked good. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks,
    Monty
    Attached Files

Mange?

Comment

Hmm, I can't say I have ever seen that. Ticks? Fleas? Any critters on it that you could find or see? How did the meat look?

Comment

Looks like mange to me.....

Comment

I am not you, but that meat would be labeled "Buzzard Food" as I don't want whatever virus caused that in anything I eat.

Comment

My dog gets something like that on him from flea bites.He may be allergic to tick bites.

Comment

Do you notice any tumors underneath the skin?

Comment

Last time I ate deer with same issues? my whole body started "TWITCHING" and doing brake dance without me controling it. AAAhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Just kidding, just kidding. If you are concern about eating it? Do NOT eat the Meat, leave it for the Dead Eating Big Black Bird (Buzzards) to consume it back to nature.

Comment

Hope u wore gloves. Yote bait.

Comment

send those pics to the txpw they could tell you.

Comment

I never seen anything like that!

Comment

kind of gross if you ask me

Comment

Let the Wildlife Biologist look at that.

Comment

I don't know what is wrong with that deer but it would be feeding the critters.

Hopefully TPWD can help you out with a diagnosis

Comment

it looks like some type of mange...but it could be a number of different skin allergies and or parasites... if you have any doubt at all though, dont eat the meat, just the mental part of the "unknown" can and will cause you to have "symptoms". when in doubt, just dont chance it. there are quite a few things that can cause people to reject an animal carcass, most of which do absolutely nothing to meat quality, such as bot flies and giant liver flukes, it all comes down to you though to make the choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X