Acorn thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorn thoughts

Having grown up in and around bowhunting and acorns for 54 years I’ve done somewhat of a country-boy study on the palatability of acorns to deer since they are such an important factor in bow season. I’ve fertilized acorn trees, moved different types of acorns around to different trees in varying stages of maturity and just generally kept my eyes open while sitting in trees for the better part of thirty years. I’ve also done a fair amount of research by reading tree books and surfing the Internet on the subject the last few years. Here’s what I’ve observed: You can take it or leave it.

Water won’t “sour” acorns. In fact, the Indians used to soak acorns in water to lessen the tannin acid in them to taste better so they could make their acorn meal. Some studies of squirrels suggest that they bury acorns not only to cache them for use later in the winter but to also let the tannins leach out of them. I’ve seen deer and hogs eating acorns in East Texas that were floating in Horsepen Creek in Tyler County that had fallen two months earlier.

A freeze won’t hurt a healthy acorn. I have come across studies of various animals up north that indicate critters would eat acorns in the spring that had been covered by snow all winter. I have seen acorns pile up a time or two late in November and December here in Texas but those times were on bumper crop years and I figured they were just old tasting to the deer and there was many other things for them to feed on. That kind of flies in the face of tannins leaching out but I believe a stale taste can override the acid being less, if you get what I mean.

Two factors that DO affect acorns are insects and hogs. We’re talking healthy acorns, here, not diseased ones that have issues on the tree. Most acorns on a good year are healthy. Almost everything eats an acorn, including insects, and on a warm fall with good moisture insects proliferate and can be a factor in making the acorns less palatable. And we all know what a hog population can do underneath an oak tree. That’s the only thing that’s saving us at our place in the Hill Country right now.

How I have combated big acorn crops is to get out in August with a good set of binoculars and first of all determine if there’s gonna be a big crop. Don’t just look in a tree or two, make a concerted search to see what’s going on. If there’s not a crop, the feeder’s the place to be. If there is a crop I find a group, cluster, mott, whatever you want to call A BUNCH of favorite acorns tree that I can access and exit without blowing out the deer, keeping afternoon hunts foremost in mind. I prefer tree stands for this but have done it with popups. I’ve found those stands are the absolute best for killing a big buck on a piece of property. The deer are less on edge in the oaks and everybody else is boogering them at corn feeders.

So, that’s what I go. As I said, you can take it or leave it. We can either moan and groan about acorns or put on our big girl panties and deal with ‘em. Being prepared can yield great results in the oaks.

good right up. thanks for sharing

Comment

Although not great for me as a paying lease hunter, I think this years bumper acorn crop will get some of our bucks through to another year. I don't see nearly as many bucks in our area being harvested due to the fact that they don't have to move much to feed. This should equate to a better year next year and maybe even the following year. I have never seen acorns like this. We have them piled up 2" deep on the ground, and they are not finished falling. We are hunting some oak mots, but there are so many on the ground the deer just don't have to move.

Comment

Great write up, some really interesting points covered.
        Thanks.

Comment

Very interesting observations, while somethings you said are contrary to what I have always heard I cannot personely disput a word of it. I have so many acorn trees on my place it would be hard to find a place to put a stand because of the numbers. But behind 2 of my feeders there are trails along a creek that pass through a bunch of oak trees that I have cleared out around. I am wishing now I had a tree stand down in there along the trails. Will for sure next year.

Comment

So in your experience, if an acorn is laying on the ground without any evidence of insect intrusion ie hole etc, what makes a perfectly good acorn mushy or black, rotten, dry and crumbly....if not water?

Comment

Wow, you must be one of a dozen or so Texans who have learned to hunt acorns instead of just complaining about them and how it is impossible to kill a deer because they have quit using the feeders. Good on you!!!!

Comment

Could be any number of things. Age. Could be last year's acorn. I've cut 'em open in January and still seen white meat in the good ones. The are more subject to insect infestation while laying on the ground, despite not being able to see a "hole."

Comment

Thanks for the post- Good info.

Comment

Nice write up. The land we hunt is covered in acorns and hardwood.

Comment

I think you are spot on Mr. T.How are you and the misses?four wheeler runnin' good?

Comment

My 2 cents....One of my bow blinds/feeders is in or on the edge of a large cluster of oaks. I have had ZERO luck seeing deer there so far this hunting season. The deer were coming to the feeder daily until the acorns dropped. Now there are more acorns under my stand then corn and that's saying something with the way the corn is piling up and growing at this spot. The problem here is that this large oak cluster with a large pond where my feeder and stand are located is not near where the deer bed and they are just not traveling to this area right now for acorns or corn! I will say that soon after they dropped opening weekend of bow season we had 6 to 7 inches of rain at the lease and flash floods the acorns were brown the next weekend, I assumed or hoped that they were going to spoil.
                        I think the moon and weather has played a major factor in the activity as much as the acorn drop where I am at! Hopefully this weekend will bring them out, better moon, cooler weather.

Comment

Ricky, thanks for the info and observations. Where we hunt (not far from you) we have motts of oak trees everywhere. It's almost like they are the predominant form of vegetation (other than cactus and catclaw). My theory is that when there are plenty of acorns the deer keep to deeper cover because it affords them relative safety. The trick is, how are you going to set up to hunt when they have a food source literally on every other square foot of ground.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                            Ricky, thanks for the info and observations. Where we hunt (not far from you) we have motts of oak trees everywhere. It's almost like they are the predominant form of vegetation (other than cactus and catclaw). My theory is that when there are plenty of acorns the deer keep to deeper cover because it affords them relative safety. The trick is, how are you going to set up to hunt when they have a food source literally on every other square foot of ground.
                            Hunt a trail/funnel, & wait for the RUT, rattle them up, scents , etc.

Comment

Great write up.

Comment

Working...
                              X