Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange/Wierd/Scary moments in the field....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange/Wierd/Scary moments in the field....

I just wondered if anyone else has had any strange events while being out in Mother Nature. My wife and I were talking on the way home from the lease this weekend and this exact subject came up. Tell 'em if you got 'em.

Here's mine. Back in the mid and later part of the 90's I was a big waterfowl hunter. I was hunting geese/goose on a dried up rice field. We turned off the paved Hwy and hit a gravel road that led to the gate into our pasture. We (my buddy and I) parked just inside the gate and got out. Nothin' unusual yet.

It was still very dark, about 5:30 am and we were at the back of my truck getting our gear for the walk into the field. Off to our right on the gravel road that we just came in on, we see headlights. We weren't expecting any other lease members to be there that morning but I thought that might be just what it was.

Well, we're not paying any attention to the vehicle but when we look up, the vehicle is now IN the rice field adjacent to the one we are parked in and soon to be hunting. The field was dry but it still has the burms/levees (whatever they are called) running all through it. These levees are about two foot high and 2 or 3 feet wide.

Well the vehicle head lights are not "bobbing" up and down as one might expect from going over the levees. STRANGE part #1.

The vehicle is on a straight line for us through this field. As it reaches us, just on the other side of the fence, it turns parallel to us and we can now see what type of vehicle it is. STRANGE part #2.....an 70's era Cadillac

The dome light was on inside the vehicle (WHY?) and we could see someone inside but we couldn't make out any distinct features. The vehicle was on the opposite side of the fence at about 20-ish yards. The vehicle didn't stop and eventually drove away without making any contact with us.

We looked at each other and then went hunting

Strange part #3...When we left, we followed the same way as when we came in. Where the vehicle entered the rice field, there was no gate or opening, just solid 3 strand barbed wire

We talked about it on the way home but I got "nuthin"

The red line is the solid fence......The yellow line is the path the vehicle took....Notice the levees in the Google Earth pic
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle Lake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	24775425

No more Peyote for you Shane!

Comment

Elvis!!!!!! It had to be him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
        Elvis!!!!!! It had to be him!!!
        I think it might have been Hank Williams!

Comment

Ya’ll boys wasn’t tipping back on the strawberry hill was ya.

Comment

Weird.

Comment

Man wasn't that weird, but it was scary.
              In 2005 I did some elk guiding in the Uinta mts in NE utah. My dad and I both had LATE season december elk muzzleloader tags, and since I guided dad came up and we were the only hunters in camp. Sweet camp and we were using the horses to get around. We would see elk early and late in a huge field, but couldn't get on them. During the day they were all going on top of a mesa kinda hill that had been recently logged. Doing this like clock work.
              Dad and I rode up to the top of this mesa and found the elk feeding, so we got in front of them and let them come to us. All was well and we were hunkered down in a deadfall watching the elk feed right to us.
              The day was clear and calm, real cold, and not a cloud in the sky.
              Outta no where the wind starts blowing like a darn hurricane and trees are blowing around and falling over. I mean it was like a tornado or something. We couldn't decide which way to go, and we both were scared. We lay as flat as we could and let it blow over and then cleaned and emptyed our britches. The horses broke loose and went home. We had to walk outta that mess. it looked like something outta a war movie, all the cut timber and limbs scattered and busted.
              Too this day I don't know what caused that, it wasn't a tornado, straight line winds.
              When we got down our cook tent was gone and camp was scattered out for a long ways.
              Is there such thing as a wind shear or something??

I know it scared us south texas boys real bad. Daddy said he'd never come back to the mts, and he means it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                No more Peyote for you Shane!
                Yea Yea Yea Big Guy

I'm not claiming anything but I swear as I sit here typing that it happened Maybe there was something I missed that would make it more clear in my mind but the way I told it, that's exactly as I remember it

Comment

I had an Uncle and a cousin sitting in a tower stand on my dad's place. Suddenly, they heard a gun shot and a bullet hole appeared in the top of the stand. Not funny! Not funny at all! Needless to say, a conversation ensued!

Neighbors!

Comment

Originally posted by txnduckhntr View Post
                    In 2005 I did some elk guiding in the Uinta mts in NE utah. My dad and I both had LATE season december elk muzzleloader tags, and since I guided dad came up and we were the only hunters in camp. Sweet camp and we were using the horses to get around. We would see elk early and late in a huge field, but couldn't get on them. During the day they were all going on top of a mesa kinda hill that had been recently logged. Doing this like clock work.
                    Dad and I rode up to the top of this mesa and found the elk feeding, so we got in front of them and let them come to us. All was well and we were hunkered down in a deadfall watching the elk feed right to us.
                    Outta no where the wind starts blowing like a darn hurricane and trees are blowing around and falling over. I mean it was like a tornado or something. We couldn't decide which way to go, and we both were scared. We lay as flat as we could and let it blow over and then cleaned and emptyed our britches. The horses broke loose and went home. We had to walk outta that mess. it looked like something outta a war movie, all the cut timber and limbs scattered and busted.
                    Too this day I don't know what caused that, it wasn't a tornado, straight line winds.
                    When we got down our cook tent was gone and camp was scattered out for a long ways.

I know it scared us south texas boys real bad. Daddy said he'd never come back to the mts, and he means it.
                    Look up a micro burst.

Comment

Originally posted by txnduckhntr View Post

My dad and I had the exact same thing happen to us out near Abilene. Almost the exact same scenario accept it was knock down tree hard winds. For sure was ripping through trees and braking dead limbs of and such. Very weird seeing how clear of a day it was. Scary as heck!
                      I remember another hunter about a mile to the East of us had no idea what we were talking about. He was like "What wind?".

Comment

My wife and I were talking
                        Both strange, wierd and scary if that happen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                          Both strange, wierd and scary if that happen to me.
                          RIGHT.....but it was a long ride

Comment

I'm liking this thread. Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                              I think it might have been Hank Williams!
                              Thats the exact same thing that came to my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X