Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.0 Chevy Vortec.....good or bad choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.0 Chevy Vortec.....good or bad choice?

Are you sick of these questions now? I am!!! Been a month of obsessed selling and buying......

I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 near by that has a 6.0L Vortec engine. Is it a good engine? Or is the 5.3L V8 the way to go. GAS engine.

Again, I know nothing about domestics...I have been a toyota guy and have owned everything from 86 22re engine up through the 99 3.4L V6, including the 4.5L straight 6. Ya'll have educated me on the 7.3L powerstroke and 4.9L cummins (both out of my price range now unless they have 300k on them). Now tell me about gas V8 engines in the years 93-2000. Probably gonna end up with one of them.

Good engine, especially if you like gas stations

Good power and reliable

Comment

Get a K&N filter, try to keep the RPMs at 2000 or under, and this engine will last much longer than the rest of the truck - averaging about 16 mpg. And when you need a kick of power - HOLD ON!

Comment

Good solid 200K+ engine with routine maintenance. I'm getting 14-15mpg with my 2500HD 6.0.

Comment

Dude....just save your money for now and put it all towards a NEW vehicle. 6.0 burns the gas.......save the $$$$ and get a diesel when you can!

Comment

I like the 5.3 better, but have nothing bad to say about the 6.0 other than gas mileage

Comment

I have an 09 5.3 now and am severly disappointed with the new transmission. My gas mileage is lower than my 05 Z71 with the same engine and it doesn't feel and strong...IMO

Comment

I had a 2003 GMC Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.0 gas engine. It was a horse of an engine and never had any problems with it. I would pull trailers very well, not as good as a diesel, but is a very powerful engine. The only downside is they like to drink the gasoline. Pulling my 5x10 utility trailer with my ATV and gear loaded on it the best it would get is about 11 mpg. On the highway it got 15-18 and around town about 13-15 mpg.
                I now drive a Toyota doublecab 4X4 and love it but do miss the size and room of a full size truck. Will probably go back to full size down the road.

Comment

Here is one of the trucks I am considering....

2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 LS Crewcab 4X4 Truck
                  2000 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LS. The truck is in very clean and in good mechanical condition with no problems that I know of. All services have been performed at regular intervals. It is a local truck originally purchased at Bob Brown in Des Moines. The mileage is approximately 185,500.

The truck has the following options:
                  - 4X4
                  - Power windows
                  - Power locks
                  - Cruise control
                  - Plastic bed liner
                  - Dual front airbags
                  - Single compact disc player
                  - Air conditioning
                  - Towing package
                  - Tilt wheel
                  - Black interior with cloth seats in good shape

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	23900006

Name:	DSCF1645.JPG
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	23900007

Name:	dash from back seat.JPG
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	23900008

Name:	back seat.JPG
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	23900009

Name:	DSCF1646.JPG
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	23900010

Name:	DSCF1651.JPG
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	23900011

Name:	DSCF1653.JPG
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	23900012

Name:	DSCF1654.JPG
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	23900013

Name:	DSCF1657.JPG
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	23900014

Name:	wheel.JPG
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	23900015

Comment

That 6.0 Generation III engine is almost bullet proof. It has the cathedral port heads and the block is actually 2 piece making it the strongest platform small block there is. Gas mileage will suffer but can be enhanced with a cam change and PCM reflash or custom dyno tune. With air intake, throttle body and cams it will pump out near 600hp and the block will handle it just fine.
                    Can you say Hemi Killer?
                    The 5.3 is pretty much the same only smaller. Will net less torque but still lots of upper rpm HP. Put the stock 2009 year 6.0 cams in the 5.3 and it will do 350hp/tq with air flow and tune. The 5.3 is capable of near 500hp with mostly bolt-on mods.
                    Best engine GM has come out with in a long time. The stock 5.3 should already be right at 300+hp at the flywheel.
                    Sounds like I'm a HP junkie huh?

Comment

With 185,000 miles on that truck, the engine would be the least of my worries. As I said before, properly maintained, the engine will outlast all other mechanical parts of the truck.

Comment

I really liked the 6.0 on my last truck; very reliable...but, truly...very bad gas mileage.

Comment

At 9 yrs old and 185k on miles....I would save my money and hold out for something new!

Comment

There is no saving money around this house. It all goes towards paying new school tuition, clothes for new school year, paying off debt, food, etc. We dropped down to one income to move up here...there is no extra. I even proposed that I keep paying the truck payment (for the truck we just sold) to our new truck fund in hopes of bulding it up.......didn't fly. I mean...just a couple thousand more, and I could get a nice used Tundra.....still didn't fly.

Comment

Mud, move to the next one. with that many miles stuff will start needing replaced.

I have a 6.0 3/4 ton with a manual 5 spd. It's a 2001. I get 14-15 on the highway and 12-13 in town. I also drive fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X