Explain bridged risers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain bridged risers please

What is the purpose of a bridged riser? I think they look hideous. I looked at a Martin Krypton the other day and it felt real good.

It is supposed to help with vibration per the advertisements. Not sure of how effective it is

Comment

It's a strength advantage to a riser as well so they can get away with cheaper alumn quality

Comment

the idea is that you can add strength to a riser and potentially make it lighter. now, you can decide whether that means what handsome said or what. i'd say there are plenty of non-bridged riser bows out there to suit you if you just don't like the looks of them.

Comment

The main advantage to a bridged riser is increased stiffness in the riser with less weight. This means less vibration at the shot and less torque when at full draw compared to a non-bridged riser.

Think of this: Measure the riser from the front of the riser to the back of the bridge; it is much wider than a traditional riser. If it were a solid riser this same width it would be much heavier. A bridge makes it possible to take advantage of the physics (except for moment of inertia, only weight can help that) of a much heavier riser but without the added weight.

They do not use an inferior alloy on bridge bows; virtually all bow risers are from the same alloy.

The bridge helps to create an exceptionally stable shooting platform; more stable (in theory) than a non-bridged riser all else being equal.

The same can be said of shoot-through risers and riser cages; although shoot-through risers also have the added benefit of a true center shot.

In all cases they are widening the riser to make it more stable (either the X or Y axis) but not adding the weight proportional to a full blown thick, heavy riser.

Comment

I loved the Tec bows when Hoyt came out with them.
            The bridge makes a nice carry handle, too!

Comment

I've never held a bow like that but it was significantly lighter.

Comment

Working...
              X