No announcement yet.

Spring Skinner Build-along.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still gotta put an edge on it and test it out. Was hoping to get it done and use it on the buck I had been huning all season, but with the rain, it looks like my season is about over. maybe if I get a chance to do some hunting with the smokepole I will get to use it. If not, then Im gonna use it on the big boar that's been poking around at my other lease. Either way, we will see how well that old spring holds an edge.

Comment

I'm amazed you were able to get it so clean looking without grinding those pits out. Did you just do that with the wire thingy?

I think it looks great, by the way, even with the blue spacers. :-)

Comment

I like a distress finish like that; sure don't have to worry about finger prints or scratches.

Looks Great.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
          I'm amazed you were able to get it so clean looking without grinding those pits out. Did you just do that with the wire thingy?

I think it looks great, by the way, even with the blue spacers. :-)

I just cleaned it up as best as I could with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. THen I polished it out with a sisal wheel and black polishing compound, followed by white compound on a stitched wheel, then white on a loose wheel, and finally green on a loose wheel. Did that after the final hardening, prior to tempering, mainly because I was letting my oven cool down enough to temper. Im really impressed at how clean it got after final polishing too. I expected the pits to stay dark, like they do on rasp/file knives, or hammer forged knives.

Comment

Lots of character, I really like that.

Comment

Like it a lot

Comment

It turned out awesome! Nice blade

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

Like the blue in it, looks great.

Comment

Is this one for sale ?

Comment

That knife sure came out great

Comment

Hell, im with Grits, I like the blue. I also like the distressed look. Good job on that build.

Comment

Working...
                          X