New camera help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New camera help

Ok guys im looking at the Nikon D40X, D60 and the Canon XTi, XSi. What are yalls takes on these? The good, bad, ugly you know what I mean. I would rather stick to Nikon so I can use my current lenses but would mind selling if I went to a Canon. Im looking to buy this month or next month but want to weigh out all my options. I also like the D80 but seems it may be a bit bigger than the rest.

I think the best buy today (especially if you already have Nikon glass) is the D40. Read Ken Rockwell.

Comment

I might agree that if you have a particular brand of lenses, stick with them. However, I did that and quickly discovered the lenses I had just weren't all that great and I could have gone either way as I no longer use any of those lenses that shaped my decision. I went with Canon and would do it again, but that's just me. You can't really go wrong either way. Look at features you want/need and get the camera that suits that best within your budget. Oh yeah, handle them too, if you can. Make sure it fits you.

If Flickr's huge fan base is any indication, Canon seems to be the most popular consumer grade SLR.

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Comment

Canon Xti or Xsi of course...that way we can swap lenses...

Comment

Originally posted by doncom View Post
          I think the best buy today (especially if you already have Nikon glass) is the D40. Read Ken Rockwell.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
          Its the one we went with and couldnt be happier.....waiting on a new lens and learning by watching all these posts...Guess were gonna have to jump in and post some up before long..

Comment

[QUOTE=Deer716;662794.... I also like the D80 but seems it may be a bit bigger than the rest.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes that is an advantage. You put a big lens on the smaller bodies, it just feels really akward and unbalanced. Also, if your hands are large, the small body may be uncomfortable. My hands are not big by any means yet I still enjoy the larger bodies more.

Comment

I shoot Nikon. Like was said above, asking a person about what camera they like is like asking what truck they like or what bow they like. Depending on who you talk to will determine the answer. The same with camer shops. If the person that works there likes Canon or Nikon or Leica, they will push what they like.

From me, a good introductory body that won't totally over load you with options is the Nikon D80. Enough said.

Now, go play with the toys and find what fits you best.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys, I sold my camera today and was thinking of getting the D80 but Beach Camera has the D60 (which is what I really wanted but had bad reviews on lighting) with 2 VR lenses at a good price. I went and shot(bowhunting talk) the D60 and it seemed fine, I liked it. So I might go woth that. The lighting was good IMO.

Comment

Oh yeah if anyone has a D60 I would really like to hear your take on the camera,

Comment

Depending on your existing lenses.....if you have keeper glass, then stick with Nikon. If you need to upgrade anyway, then you can be open. If you decided to go with Canon and you didn't mind spending a couple hundred extra on the body, then I'd go with the XSi. I have the XTi, and I like it a lot. The XSi has live view and a couple other features that I think I would really enjoy having. I plan to upgrade before too long to either the XSi or the 40D (probably XSi).

Comment

Ruben if you decide you want a D40 let me know. I will probably make you a deal on mine.

Comment

Thanks Jason but I ordered Friday and recieved today.

Comment

the d40 is a great and simple camera.
                          the d80 is better but i doubt you'll notice the difference unless you blow up past 11 x 16 inches.
                          the real deal is the d300 but it is a huge jump up in price when the d40 will do what you need.

Comment

Working...
                          X