Glands on a wild hog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
    You will find them around the hams and the neck. Look like grey grapes in the fat between the skin and the meat. If you trim the quarters you will easily get them.
    Yep. And they're on deer too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody2306 View Post
      So basically I can just trim all the white fat and get in between the cuts and look for those and ill be fine. Thanks for the vid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes...like C&B said...if you muscle out your quarters you'll find it and know it when you see it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
        Steven Rinella from the show meat eater points out where the glands are
        This

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          These. Cut them off.

[ATTACH]889231[/ATTACH]

Good Lord Burnadell don’t be showing us pics of your junk!! This is a family site for crying out loud!! Now go wash them things!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cody2306 View Post
            So basically I can just trim all the white fat and get in between the cuts and look for those and ill be fine. Thanks for the vid.

IMO, if you cut all the fat off a pig, you just made a big mistake. Unlike deer fat, pig fat adds a lot of good flavor to the meat just like it does on beef. This is why I prefer big boars to eat. Big boars almost always have a lot of fat on them, sows and small boars almost never have a good amount of fat and that is why if I want a pig to eat I will go after a big boar. I know you will hear from most people to just throw away big boars because they are nasty but IMO that is a wives tale. We have cooked up big boars for a lot of people that thought big boars were not good to eat and they all said it was the best pig they have ever ate. Over the years, we have probably ate over 50 boars over 200 pounds and have never had a bad tasting one, sure there might be some bad tasting ones out there but we have never experienced it and I believe they are very rare. Just because the outside smells bad it doesn't mean the meat is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              You will find them around the hams and the neck. Look like grey grapes in the fat between the skin and the meat. If you trim the quarters you will easily get them.
              Yep. I think they are lymph nodes and on hogs they are usually imbedded in the fat in the flanks and armpits. There are also several others throughout the guts and up in the neck area. Most are usually removed during skinning and gutting.
              Always a good idea to get rid of any you find because they do leave a nasty flavor and stink when cooked or ground up in the meat. Deer have them as well and I always hunt them down and get them out of the meat asap.
              Have fun https://www.google.com/search?q=lymp...w=1280&bih=687

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                IMO, if you cut all the fat off a pig, you just made a big mistake. Unlike deer fat, pig fat adds a lot of good flavor to the meat just like it does on beef. This is why I prefer big boars to eat. Big boars almost always have a lot of fat on them, sows and small boars almost never have a good amount of fat and that is why if I want a pig to eat I will go after a big boar. I know you will hear from most people to just throw away big boars because they are nasty but IMO that is a wives tale. We have cooked up big boars for a lot of people that thought big boars were not good to eat and they all said it was the best pig they have ever ate. Over the years, we have probably ate over 50 boars over 200 pounds and have never had a bad tasting one, sure there might be some bad tasting ones out there but we have never experienced it and I believe they are very rare. Just because the outside smells bad it doesn't mean the meat is bad.

My ideal pig is a sow without piglets.Nursing can take a toll on their fat reserves. Not sure if some of these bigs are barren or what, but we have some sows that are solitary and only come to the feeder alone. They are always butterballs and great on the smoker. By the way, I take every effort to remove all nodes possible before they go on the pit.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by RR 314; 12-24-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I saw this on the MEATEATER hunting show last night. The butcher at Devine Meat Co. showed the hunter on the program. I never knew this either but I like most inadvertently removed them when removing the excess fat blobs and didn't realize I was removing them.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post

I see thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X