Standing Corn for Fall/Winter Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing Corn for Fall/Winter Plots

Anyone ever grown a corn patch specifically for the purpose of being a deer plot, or left a few strips in your field? I’m thinking about experimenting with it next year.

If I could even get half of crop corn yield (~85-90 bu) that would still be a huge amount of food available late season (and some cover) IF it’d keep decently on the stalk, that’s what I’m not sure about.

I tried........once. The hogs went down every row and ate it right up the very night we planted it. If you do plant some, and you have hogs, throw out several bags of deer corn all around your plot. I was told this by a guy who farms corn up around the Red River. Once the corn sprouts, the only worry you have is the deer eating it !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I tried........once. The hogs went down every row and ate it right up the very night we planted it. If you do plant some, and you have hogs, throw out several bags of deer corn all around your plot. I was told this by a guy who farms corn up around the Red River. Once the corn sprouts, the only worry you have is the deer eating it !
      We don’t have hogs around here, but do think coons would camp out and do some damage. I was planning on planting at least a 5 acre or so patch so they couldn’t take out too much.

Comment

QDMA is a good source of information for us to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I planted corn in my plots a couple of years ago. It came up to about 6-8" tall and the hogs went down the rows and ate every sprout.
          Figured it was a waste of my time to plant any more

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            I planted corn in my plots a couple of years ago. It came up to about 6-8" tall and the hogs went down the rows and ate every sprout.
            Figured it was a waste of my time to plant any more
            I was told they wouldn't eat it after it sprouted, evidently that is wrong. Mine didn't get the chance to sprout, but I guarantee you that they will eat any **** thing that doesn't eat them first, depending on how hungry they are. They are grazing on my wheat this year just like deer.

I despise the bastages, and if someone doesn't come up with a "cure", deer hunting as we have always known it, will be changed forever IMO.

Comment

Working...
            X