Lennox HVAC woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lennox HVAC woes

I'm looking for some advice and I also want to vent (no pun intended).

We built our house in 2012 and had a Lennox 14ACX unit installed. In 2014, the coil developed a leak so Barker's replaced it. They only charge was the cost of Freon, which I don't know why we had to pay for that.

The coil has another leak. Barkers just left our house saying the warranty was a 5 year warranty from the date of manufacture, which was 2011. Uh?? It was installed in 2014 but by their math it expired in 2016. Does that make sense to anyone??

So my husband and I are a little mad. Ok a lot mad. He called Barkers and the lady said the new coil gets the warranty of the original AC unit - so the coil installed in 2014 has the warranty that started in 2012, meaning by that math when coil was 3 years old the warranty expired. That doesn't make sense to me either.

I'm also aware of a lawsuit over these coils that covers replacement and labor up to $550 for all coils installed between 2009 and 2015. A simple Google search found that for me.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Barkers just charged us $500 for a service call and to add Freon. They provided an estimate of $3700 to replace the coil.

We are actually considering replacing this piece of junk. Yes it will cost more than $3700 but we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. They come out every year for something.

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
    I'm looking for some advice and I also want to vent (no pun intended).

We built our house in 2012 and had a Lennox 14ACX unit installed. In 2014, the coil developed a leak so Barker's replaced it. They only charge was the cost of Freon, which I don't know why we had to pay for that.

The coil has another leak. Barkers just left our house saying the warranty was a 5 year warranty from the date of manufacture, which was 2011. Uh?? It was installed in 2014 but by their math it expired in 2016. Does that make sense to anyone??

So my husband and I are a little mad. Ok a lot mad. He called Barkers and the lady said the new coil gets the warranty of the original AC unit - so the coil installed in 2014 has the warranty that started in 2012, meaning by that math when coil was 3 years old the warranty expired. That doesn't make sense to me either.

I'm also aware of a lawsuit over these coils that covers replacement and labor up to $550 for all coils installed between 2009 and 2015. A simple Google search found that for me.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Barkers just charged us $500 for a service call and to add Freon. They provided an estimate of $3700 to replace the coil.

We are actually considering replacing this piece of junk. Yes it will cost more than $3700 but we wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. They come out every year for something.
    Get a second opinion. $3700 for a evap coil is HIGH! Most our coil changeouts run around $2000-2500. As for the Freon on the first warranty call. Freon is included in our warranty. Something is not adding up. Also Yes there was a huge issue with coils in that time period however, it was not just Lennox it was all MFG. Mainly with TXV valvles. Again I would look for another reputable company to come do a second opinion.

Comment

The warranty starts on one of the following: Day of installation, day of start up or the date of closing of the home. You need another company. If the system was registered online within 90 days of install, you would have a 10 year parts warranty.

Comment

glw1982 and elliscountyhog - are y'all Lennox dealers? I was thinking the warranty weirdness was a Lennox issue not a dealer issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          glw1982 and elliscountyhog - are y'all Lennox dealers? I was thinking the warranty weirdness was a Lennox issue not a dealer issue.
          Yes. Message me your model and serial numbers and I will check on the warranty for you.
          However most MFG are the same. If registered at time of install then 10year on parts. Once the new coil was installed the new serial number should have been registered.

Comment

I repair & service a lot of RV's under warranty, and anytime I replace something under warranty, the new part takes on the original part warranty date. That is the way it has always been through most companies I deal with.

Comment

elliscountyhog - I sent you a PM

Comment

Warranty should go from date system was installed, not from repair or replacement part date.

Comment

Man I'm sorry you're having problems. Knock on wood but I haven't had the smallest hiccup from my new Lennox system.

Comment

Working...
                  X