Knee replacement surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee replacement surgery

Well instead of going to a Dr I'm going to the experts on the green screen. I've got arthritis pretty bad in my left knee and it's got bad suddenly. I'm 58 and get around pretty good till resently. The Dr says I need a new knee because of the arthritis. Trouble is I just started a new job two weeks ago and can't take a month of to deal with this.any ideas? Thanks, Kevin

Did mine in 2012 and was great success. I had been so tender I couldn’t walk a trade show or more than 60’ from my ATV to blind.

I lost 30 lbs afterwards just because I could be active again.

Pain lasted a year and physical therapy was hell first 2-3 weeks. Only missed a week of work and was driving 5 days after surgery.

Comment

My wife had both knees done last year. She had some injections few years ago that helped for a while. Inject a lube/fluid made from rooster’s comb. They last up to 6 months I think and it worked for her for a couple times. She was already bone on bone. Had to eventually get both knees replaced. It might be an option that will buy you some time. Called viscosupplementation.

Comment

I read what you said about the timing not being right for surgery.

Was this your primary Dr or an Ortho/Sports Medicine Dr?
        Are you overweight at all? If so, then lose it.

My knee problem was a torn meniscus and I got the magic shot of cortisone after seeing the Sports Dr. When it flares up a little I ice it and sleep with one of those reusable ice packs on it. I don't know if that works with arthritis but maybe it will.

Maybe you can get a second opinion from the Group that handles the Astros or the Texans.

Good luck

Comment

I've been going to a knee Dr but I aw the PA last time. I'm making an appointment to see the Dr again this week. I've gotten cortisone shots in the past and they worked great. This time not at all. I'm hoping to get another shot. I'll ask about the chicken stuff while I'm there. Thanks for the replies. Kevin

Comment

Do you exercise? It helps knees out tremendously.

Comment

I had knee replacement surgery this past April. I was out for 5 weeks. Everyone is different with pain tolerance, I always thought I had a very high pain tolerance until I had this done. I did not sleep for more than a couple hours a night for 2 months, therapy was a killer. My advice is this prior to surgery build that leg up have the Doc prescribe PT 3 days a week for a couple months it will make a world of difference in your recovery. I am scheduled to have my other knee done in December and this will be my plan.
              Be very careful with the injections they will cause bone to soften and the ligaments to become brittle. They also had to replace all my ligaments because of the injections
              Last edited by dphillips62; 07-15-2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I had mine done 9 years ago because of arthritis. Injections did nothing. What do you do at work? Sit at desk, you will have no problem. I was driving in a week and building pools, and drawing at my desk. It took 6-12 months to regain total strength and mobility

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Had both done 11 years ago. When you reach that point where all else don't work, get it done.

Comment

My dad has had one done and is scheduled to have the other one done in August. My dad was very active prior to surgery so his recovery was much easier. I’ve heard people ask him about his experience/recommendations and he always mentions his workout routine before surgery and the importance of hitting rehab HARD!

If you want to discuss the prep, procedure, and/or recovery with him I’d be glad to pass along his info. Just PM me.

Comment

I've been a diesel mechanic for 30 years, I'm in good condition and not over weight. I went through reconstruction surgery 20 years ago. 6 years of jumping out of planes for Uncle Sam is catching up to me, haha.I finally made the move to a cushy high paying office job and now this. It's really bad timing. I need to get through the next six months or so and then get it done. I don't want to start a new job and then say I've got to take off the next month, I'm not going to win employee of the month like that.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                        I've been a diesel mechanic for 30 years, I'm in good condition and not over weight. I went through reconstruction surgery 20 years ago. 6 years of jumping out of planes for Uncle Sam is catching up to me, haha.I finally made the move to a cushy high paying office job and now this. It's really bad timing. I need to get through the next six months or so and then get it done. I don't want to start a new job and then say I've got to take off the next month, I'm not going to win employee of the month like that.

Well heck you didn’t say this before!. No wonder you are going to need this done. My cousin who was in the 82nd is younger than I am and has these problems.

Get an exercise bike to get ready for the replacement and a big bottle of aspirin, bufferin or whatever to knock the pain down when you need to. Remember to drink a big, full glass of water when you take a pill to protect your kidneys, liver etc.
                        Go ahead and get your legs in shape. I would think since your talking replacement the key is dealing with the pain. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                        X