No announcement yet.

Couple lease rules being questioned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always made sure that my grandkids could count as immediate family even though they don't live with me.

Comment

Couple lease rules being questioned.

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
      I'm a new Hunter [emoji3] í*½í¸ jk...but I do love your attitude about it, Smart [emoji6]b

For the love of Pete, kick the dude off and let DapperDan get on the lease so he'll shut up [emoji14] [emoji3] just razzing you, DD [emoji6]b

Coming in too strong?

I’ll work on being more subtle going forward.
      [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only way I'd allow a spot to be split is if you have two existing members who each already pay for a full spot and they decide rather than bringing in another hunter that they would rather split an open spot and give themselves a couple more deer each. They then each get half the stand locations, etc of the spot they are splitting.

So if you currently get 2 bucks, 2 does and 2 stand locations each the members splitting the third spot pay 1.5x the price of a spot and each get 3 bucks, 3 does and 3 stand locations. That works out pretty well if they are good and proven members and can actually decrease some of your drama and headaches.

I would not split a spot for 2 new members. I would also take a firm stand and tell the guys you are having the issue with that the rules are the rules and if they don't like it hit the trail. You can fill those spots in a couple of days.

If you really want to decrease your headaches go to 6 guns at $3600/gun. You'll cut out half your headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
          On another note, 75% of our hunting is single hang on stands, 20% climbing tree stands and 10% ground blinds. Other than the groundblinds that my dad has put there are no stands to hold two people. They are not going to hunt together that is not what he is wanting. They will put these "guest" in one of our club stands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
          Concerning your very last sentence....That would be a big “NO” then. Just set your rules the way you want them and stick to it. If the group wants to chang3 something up then vote on it or something.

Comment

I agree with immediate family being those who live under your roof. But at the same time I don't have a problem with someone bringing guests including their dad, grown child, sibling, etc. So long as the guest hunts in the member's spots, follows the rules and kills off the member's allotment. And the member is 100% responsible for everything the guest does.

In your situation the issue will be that if they bring their dads to hunt they will be hunting more of your group stands. If they only had 2 stands that were their stands and they and their guests had to hunt their stands only then you wouldn't have an issue. But with 14 group stands they are going to be hunting all over the place.

One option would be to give a little on the guest rule and allow them to bring their dads, siblings, grown kids, friends, etc hunting but make it a rule that a guest must hunt in the stand with a member. That cuts out having guests taking up a bunch of spots. And it would make bringing a guest less attractive. You could still bring dad out for a weekend hunt but you aren't gonna want to share a blind with him every weekend. That would cut out a bunch of your issues as well.

Comment

make it very specific. Immediate family members only and no splitting memberships. Splitting membership could get ugly.

Comment

no on splits

I don't have family that hunts and do not have kids. I bring my guests from my friends list. They work and have a good time getting away. They are my responsibility while at the lease. If permitted to hunt I sit in blind with them to make sure mistakes are not made.

Comment

I understand the feelings with guest rule and what is "family".

No understanding with the split lease membership. That smells bad all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                    I agree with immediate family being those who live under your roof. But at the same time I don't have a problem with someone bringing guests including their dad, grown child, sibling, etc. So long as the guest hunts in the member's spots, follows the rules and kills off the member's allotment. And the member is 100% responsible for everything the guest does.

In your situation the issue will be that if they bring their dads to hunt they will be hunting more of your group stands. If they only had 2 stands that were their stands and they and their guests had to hunt their stands only then you wouldn't have an issue. But with 14 group stands they are going to be hunting all over the place.

One option would be to give a little on the guest rule and allow them to bring their dads, siblings, grown kids, friends, etc hunting but make it a rule that a guest must hunt in the stand with a member. That cuts out having guests taking up a bunch of spots. And it would make bringing a guest less attractive. You could still bring dad out for a weekend hunt but you aren't gonna want to share a blind with him every weekend. That would cut out a bunch of your issues as well.
                    Your last paragraph is correct - as long as guest must sit with member it cuts back on how many guest folks will bring

Comment

We have 4 lease members on our place and the allotment of deer allowed per member is more than is allowed by TPWD, each membership is allowed 2 bucks and 6 doe and/or spikes.

All 4 of us are good friends and co-workers. When we first starting talking with our land owner about the place we explained we wanted a place to bring extended family members which is why we limited the membership to only four. I can't legally shoot two bucks and six doe but my guests can come and shoot deer that I am allotted.

Our guest rule was written to accommodate what we wanted as far as being able to bring family it reads as follows:

Paid hunters may, at the hunters discretion, be accompanied by any or all of the following family members: Spouses, Children & their Spouses, Grand kids. All deer harvested are attributed to the paid hunters allotment. Paid hunters are not allowed to exceed the agreed upon buck/doe allotment regardless if the animal is harvested by the paid hunter or an extended family member. All game harvested must be complaint with TPWD game laws.

This is a very liberal guest rule from what I have seen on other places but it has worked for us and our land owner. The four members enjoy hunting but as others have said I think we enjoy the deer camp experience and get great pleasure in being with family and friends in the woods.

Comment

No splitting memberships. Immediate family is wife and kids under 18. Give an inch and they will take a mile.
                        Last edited by sharkhunter; 04-09-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          As long as everybody agrees on whatever your lease rules are, they're good rules.
                          This

Comment

I see the split memberships as a problem in the form of too many people hunting at one time. So for example using some of the numbers posted above,

if you currently have 10 members on 2000 acres, that's 200 acres per person, which is consider low pressure. Split memberships is now 20 people on 2000 acres, which is 100 acres per person = high pressure.

Comment

IMO, both of those things would be exceptions to the rules that would require prior approval.

With 12 spots I’d focus on finding the right guys that would rather follow the spirit of the rules than those looking for every loophole and to find trouble.

On the guest policy, I’d rather have the guy that hunts by himself almost the whole year bring a kid from his church or a grandchild out than one who brings his family of 5 every weekend.

On splitting memberships, I know a lot of guys in their 60’s and 70’s that haven’t pulled the trigger on a deer in 10+ years, but they like to get away from their wives and sit around the campfire telling stories. If everyone approves that they share a limit and don’t bring guests, it wouldn’t bother me, but you’re setting up a future situation where a couple young guys will want to do the same and hunt hard every weekend.

As others have said, there are serious hunting leases and then there are family leases, you have to decide which one you want to have.

Comment

How do you guys on leases define Trophy bucks? Seems to me that there would be arguments if someone shot Trophy and claimed it was a cull.

Comment

Working...
                                X