No announcement yet.

Matagorda Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those were the good ole days for sure. BTW... before you got to the old jaw bridge, did the guy on the left ever finish building his boat. Seems like he was working on it for 20+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      Those were the good ole days for sure. BTW... before you got to the old jaw bridge, did the guy on the left ever finish building his boat. Seems like he was working on it for 20+ years.
      Yes. He launched it. The boat ended up grounded in the diversion channel for years. It's gone now, though.

Comment

Originally posted by steve corn View Post
        Several family members and I are going to Matagorda the first week of next month for the first time. Is there a grocery store there or close by or do we need to bring everything with us?
        Stanley's is a pretty nice little store now. You can get pretty much anything you need to get by. I'd buy groceries on the way down but if you get in a bind, forget something or whatever they will probably have what you need. And their burgers are excellent!

If you need anything for cooking seafood Buddy's will probably have it. They carry a bunch of supplies for cooking seafood.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          Yep. Sailin' Waylon's boat. He launched it and the keel got stuck in the mud. He had a shrimp boat pull it to the river, but it drafted too deep it got stuck there too. He had it tied to a pier when a river rise washed it down the diversion channel. He left it there and took off to Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Roscoe bait and boat ramp with the alligator that would eat duck carcasses as fast as you could clean them.

Calling the swing bridge operator for tide checks. Waiting a few extra minute to leave when you heard the horn blow.

Launchin off the highway into East bay. Parkers cut....on and on
            I miss alot about Matagorda. I miss getting gas at the old school gas pumps at Sally's and the two old timers sitting out front waving at cars. Sally gave me my first Coleman lantern to go floundering. I miss having more than 1 bait camp. When I was a kid we had Cherry's, Rawling's, Al's, River Bend, C&R, Buster Oliver's and Allen's Landing all selling bait. Now we just have the harbor. I miss Pancho's onion rings at the River Bend. I miss Yeaman's Seafood. And the Cracker Box. And Parsuit's. And the really good winter fishing in the river we use to have. And fishing the birds in the fall without 10k idiots running over everyone. And fishing the mouth of the river back before there were jetties, when the fish would stack up in there by the jillions when the surf laid down. And fishing Brown Cedar Cut.

Man, alot sure has changed. Some of it for the better but definitely alot of good stuff is gone that we will never see again.

But I don't miss that ****ed ol' draw bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
              I miss alot about Matagorda. I miss getting gas at the old school gas pumps at Sally's and the two old timers sitting out front waving at cars. Sally gave me my first Coleman lantern to go floundering. I miss having more than 1 bait camp. When I was a kid we had Cherry's, Rawling's, Al's, River Bend, C&R, Buster Oliver's and Allen's Landing all selling bait. Now we just have the harbor. I miss Pancho's onion rings at the River Bend. I miss Yeaman's Seafood. And the Cracker Box. And Parsuit's. And the really good winter fishing in the river we use to have. And fishing the birds in the fall without 10k idiots running over everyone. And fishing the mouth of the river back before there were jetties, when the fish would stack up in there by the jillions when the surf laid down. And fishing Brown Cedar Cut.

Man, alot sure has changed. Some of it for the better but definitely alot of good stuff is gone that we will never see again.

But I don't miss that ****ed ol' draw bridge.
              Weren't the 2 guys at Sallys brothers or cousins or something?

Seems they always had blue overalls on.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Weren't the 2 guys at Sallys brothers or cousins or something?

Seems they always had blue overalls on.
                Brothers

Philip and Torino Banyasco

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                  Yep. Sailin' Waylon's boat. He launched it and the keel got stuck in the mud. He had a shrimp boat pull it to the river, but it drafted too deep it got stuck there too. He had it tied to a pier when a river rise washed it down the diversion channel. He left it there and took off to Las Vegas.
                  yall talking about the white sailboat?

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                    Brothers

Philip and Torino Banyasco
                    That's what I thought. I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 when I met them. We uses to ride bikes up there and look at the fish sally had for sale

Comment

Y'all stay out of Matagorda

Just kidding

Comment

My grandfather grew up in Old Gulf, where Gulf Cut is now, and would tell me stories about going to town on horse when he was a kid. A lot has changed since the 20's and 30's! I wish he was still around I have so many questions about that area.

I quit launching in Matagorda, getting too crowded. Plus, I always seemed to spend most of my time on the East end of the bay anyway.

Comment

Is rawlings bait closed now?

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                            Is rawlings bait closed now?
                            It is but is supposed to re-open under new ownership soon. I keep hearing the new owners of River bend are going to re-open the bait camp there as well. Problem is, it is really hard to keep any bait on the river if there is any freshwater runoff.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              My grandfather grew up in Old Gulf, where Gulf Cut is now, and would tell me stories about going to town on horse when he was a kid. A lot has changed since the 20's and 30's! I wish he was still around I have so many questions about that area.

I quit launching in Matagorda, getting too crowded. Plus, I always seemed to spend most of my time on the East end of the bay anyway.
                              There are almost as many boats coming out of Sargent now as Matagorda.

Comment

I bet, East Matagorda has become the new POC. I need to get a boat again, I miss being out on the water.

Comment

Working...
                                X